• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 PGA Tour thread

Jimmy Dunne resigned from the PGA Tour Board, citing no progress in negotiations with PIF because some players on the board have rendered his vote useless.

Great job players. We aren't far from diehard golf fans tuning out for everything but the 4 majors and Ryder Cup. Casual viewers did so awhile ago.
Any idea as to why there has been little progress? I did hear Rory say that he and Tiger had disagreements as to what this merger should look like with Rory wanting it to have a bigger international aspect to it.

There have been some weak field tournaments this year, but I still tune in most weeks. The West Coast Swing, API, Players, Heritage and Wells Fargo were all great, and the Houston and San Antonio were still okay.

Any idea as to why there has been little progress? I did hear Rory say that he and Tiger had disagreements as to what this merger should look like with Rory wanting it to have a bigger international aspect to it.

There have been some weak field tournaments this year, but I still tune in most weeks. The West Coast Swing, API, Players, Heritage and Wells Fargo were all great, and the Houston and San Antonio were still okay.
allegedly Spieth, Cantlay, Woods think keeping some semblance of the status quo is better (especially with the influx of SSG money) than having a deal with the PIF

Sounds like Cantlay/Speith/Woods are holding out for a better deal or want to operate in parallel to LIV from everything that has been reported. Also think they are making a stand that no further things will be negotiated without their involvement, since Dunne and Monahan struck the original deal w/o the players.

I guess there is a subset of players that think they can survive w/o LIV with the new injection of money from private equity. I have no idea what that will look like, but now you are beholden to PE.

Guessing part of it for those PGA players is their frustration that the current LIV players could return to PGA play after having accepted all of that LIV money.

Last edited:
Rahm when asked if he's worried about damage being done:

"Damage to what?"

Just a perfect summary of why there's not going to be any "best result for the golf fan" solution coming. The LIV guys actually think they're worth all the money they're getting because it's the easiest way to reconcile it. They're in denial that they're simply leverage. The "value" is created by the brutality of the regime that pays them. It has nothing to do with the sport of golf, so I guess it's fitting that Rahm and crew have no recognition of the damage they're doing to it.

I get that fans are similarly in the "ah well LIV happened so PIF is a given let's get us some of that and move on" world of justification, but I'm glad there are some guys that just don't want to go down that road full stop, and that they're in leadership positions on the PGA Tour.

They don't care about fans because fans don't fuel LIV money. They couldn't care less that fans and supporters of golf got them to where they are and LIV is just a parasitic entity that exchanges their fame for acceptance on a world stage.

Screw the PIF deal. Let the WGR strangle out all but a couple players from the majors. Lobby the Masters to take a moral stand and exclude every LIV player they can. At this point there are like 5 relevant golfers all this is happening because of - Brooks, Rahm, Cam Smith, Bryson, and maybe Reed/DJ although neither of those two seem to care anymore. Let them try to make their own majors and take over the "international golf world" or whatever, because the only solution they'll buy into is more money for less effort, and all that will lead to is a worse product and a continued shrinking of the fanbase. You can only cram so many commercials into an hour of golf coverage.

At this point there are like 5 relevant golfers all this is happening because of - Brooks, Rahm, Cam Smith, Bryson, and maybe Reed/DJ although neither of those two seem to care anymore.
DJ seems to be completely done. LIV and the PGAT could merge tomorrow, and would be shocked if DJ could win the Myrtle Beach Classic.

I've watched the same amount of golf I've always watched. I just enjoy having it on as background while I yell at my 66-1 longshots to stop hitting it into the swamp. I've literally watched 0 minutes of the LIV ever. Actually that's not true, I think before one of our basketball games this year they had a taped version on the CW because it was overseas and they didn't show it live. So it was on briefly before our game started.

Rory's playing well, but he is truly a horse for course at QH. He dominates that place. Not sure if it'll translate to Valhalla, but interested to see!

My Pick is Brooks unfortunately.
He's already won at Valhalla and as far as course comparisons go, Valhalla and Quail Hollow aren't that far off. I've got some $$$ on Rory in addition to the obligatory boosted Scottie bet just to cover the rest of the bets if he ends up winning again.

DJ seems to be completely done. LIV and the PGAT could merge tomorrow, and would be shocked if DJ could win the Myrtle Beach Classic.
DJ just absolutely did it right, got the bag, got the girl, got the other typa bag. Just cruises on his boat and chills, that is the dreaming mans dream.

I've watched the same amount of golf I've always watched. I just enjoy having it on as background while I yell at my 66-1 longshots to stop hitting it into the swamp. I've literally watched 0 minutes of the LIV ever. Actually that's not true, I think before one of our basketball games this year they had a taped version on the CW because it was overseas and they didn't show it live. So it was on briefly before our game started.
This is how I feel but without the betting. The only LIV guys I really miss are Koepka and Rahm. The PIF drama hasn't affected my DP or PGA viewing habits. What has affected my PGA viewing habits has been the elevated events, which have created some terrible fields for some of the smaller events. I don't watch much of those lesser course and field events.

And that's just sad about Rory considering they have a 3-4 year old kid. That said, that kid will still have a pretty sweet life.

Back