• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 PGA Tour thread

My stepfather was a Timuquana member before he died, I met Steve Melnyk there a long time ago and got to hear a David Duval history before it became a well-known story. Absolutely brutal what he went through as a kid. The way his parents handled the loss of his brother he's probably fortunate to have had golf as a refuge, could have gone way worse. The 59 he shot on a Sunday to win at PGA West is still one of the best rounds I've ever seen - hit it inside 5 feet on 9 approaches. Missed one green. Didn't make one putt outside 10 feet. Just unreal.

DC, do you think what he went through as a kid was the cause of whatever psychological issues he had?

DC, do you think what he went through as a kid was the cause of whatever psychological issues he had?

I have no credentials to speculate but it's hard to imagine it wouldn't have. Plus the way he was described at Ga Tech was right in line with his childhood after his brother died. At the very least it instilled 100% self-reliance, which is pretty valuable in golf.

My stepfather was a Timuquana member before he died, I met Steve Melnyk there a long time ago and got to hear a David Duval history before it became a well-known story. Absolutely brutal what he went through as a kid. The way his parents handled the loss of his brother he's probably fortunate to have had golf as a refuge, could have gone way worse. The 59 he shot on a Sunday to win at PGA West is still one of the best rounds I've ever seen - hit it inside 5 feet on 9 approaches. Missed one green. Didn't make one putt outside 10 feet. Just unreal.

I swear we got preempted on the coverage that Sunday and missed a large part of it for something else. I think all I ever got to see of it was highlights.

Throw a couple Malbon logos on this stuff and you could sell this whole outfit for $1k today. A true visionary.
1000007720.jpg

One of the Zurich pairings this week is Eric Cole and Russ Cochran. Russ Cochran is 65 years old. He is an occasional Champions Tour player with three starts in 2024: 48th, 78-78-withdraw, and 75th.

So, why is Eric Cole pairing with an at best "fringe" Champions Tour player that hasn't even recorded a top 10 on the Champions Tour in 6 years?

Cole's caddy is Cochran's son.

Before the LIV imbeciles jump on it, the Zurich Classic does not get OWGR points because it's a team event.

One of the Zurich pairings this week is Eric Cole and Russ Cochran. Russ Cochran is 65 years old. He is an occasional Champions Tour player with three starts in 2024: 48th, 78-78-withdraw, and 75th.

So, why is Eric Cole pairing with an at best "fringe" Champions Tour player that hasn't even recorded a top 10 on the Champions Tour in 6 years?

Cole's caddy is Cochran's son.
Yeah, but Eric Cole is a damn good player and with a legitimate partner would be one of the better teams in the event. Seems like he's just kind of throwing away an opportunity here. However, Bill and Jay Haas did make the cut a couple of years ago I think.

Yeah, but Eric Cole is a damn good player and with a legitimate partner would be one of the better teams in the event. Seems like he's just kind of throwing away an opportunity here. However, Bill and Jay Haas did make the cut a couple of years ago I think.
Agree. Magnamious move by Cole, but geez, there are not that many opportunities to get a PGAT win, and this tournament counts as one for both players. With a solid partner, Cole could easily be in the mix; on DraftKings odds board, the Cole/Cochran team is DFL 1,000 to 1. Would be shocking if they even made the cut.

I got the Haas/Haas pairing. It was father/son. Bill Haas has won several times on the PGAT and is set whether he wins another tournament or not. Eric Cole isn't in the same position. That said, Cole knew what he was doing, and I am sure their group will have a fun couple of days.

Cochran is quite the blast from the past. I remember going and watching him win the equivalent of whatever the Korn Ferry was called back in the day at Hillendale CC outside of Baltimore when I was at Wake. As I recall, he's a lefty.

Agree. Magnamious move by Cole, but geez, there are not that many opportunities to get a PGAT win, and this tournament counts as one for both players. With a solid partner, Cole could easily be in the mix; on DraftKings odds board, the Cole/Cochran team is DFL 1,000 to 1. Would be shocking if they even made the cut.

I got the Haas/Haas pairing. It was father/son. Bill Haas has won several times on the PGAT and is set whether he wins another tournament or not. Eric Cole isn't in the same position. That said, Cole knew what he was doing, and I am sure their group will have a fun couple of days.
Oh yeah, I completely get the Haas pairing. Cochran was a really good ball striker back in the day from what I remember.

It may be, I was thinking it was one each, but both team members might get the 2. Pretty good perk though either way, just think of how big that would be for Alex if he and Matt won.
Not so sure that would be the best thing for Alex. Toiling away for 2-3 years on some of the world's great courses and traveling the world is a great way to start a career. I like building up till he's top 10 over there before coming here, especially because he's from the UK. We've had a number of those DP top 10 players having success here the last couple years - like Lee, Fox, EVR, Pavon, Meronk and Hojgaard. Plus, if you're from Europe or RSA, the Order of Merit means something to you.

NY Post is reporting that after the new investors sunk $1.5 billion into the PGAT to assist against the LIV overtures; a big chunk of that money was given to current PGAT players as a "loyalty" payment. Among the payments:

Tiger - $100 million
Rory - $50 million
Spieth - $30 milllion
JT - $30 million

Seems almost as unsustainable as the rising NIL payments to college athletes. Wonder how much Scottie is getting. Whatever it is, it's not enough if Speith and JT are splitting $60 million.

NY Post is reporting that after the new investors sunk $1.5 billion into the PGAT to assist against the LIV overtures; a big chunk of that money was given to current PGAT players as a "loyalty" payment. Among the payments:

Tiger - $100 million
Rory - $50 million
Spieth - $30 milllion
JT - $30 million

Seems almost as unsustainable as the rising NIL payments to college athletes. Wonder how much Scottie is getting. Whatever it is, it's not enough if Speith and JT are splitting $60 million.

Isn't Trump on trial for this right now ?

Back