• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Presidential Primaries and Election

Can you #BuildAnAmericanVoter?

A straight white man aged 25-34 from a city in North Carolina, who is an atheist and has a college degree has an:

🔵 89% chance of voting for Biden
🔴 11% Trump

The fact that religion is the highest indicator of who somebody is voting for over race is interesting, but makes sense given the evangelical and Mormon ties to the GOP and cult of Trump.

The most liberal voter I could create:

A lesbian black woman aged 75+ from a city in Vermont, who is an atheist and has a postgraduate degree has a:

🔵 100% chance of voting for Biden
🔴 0% Trump

A straight white man aged 25-34 from a city in South Carolina, who is Protestant and has a postgraduate degree has a:

🔵 56% chance of voting for Biden
🔴 44% Trump

Kind of surprised my profile (correctly) guessed that I would vote for Biden over Trump. I find it fascinating (in a bad way) that if you flip my profile from "Protestant" to "Evangelical" then I flip to a 70% Trump voter.

A straight white man aged 45-54 from a suburb in Illinois, who practices other beliefs and has a postgraduate degree has a:

🔵 55% chance of voting for Biden
🔴 45% Trump

A straight white man aged 35-44 from a suburb in Pennsylvania, who is Protestant and was educated to high school has a:

🔴 70% chance of voting for Trump
🔵 30% Biden

A straight white man aged 45-54 from a city in North Carolina, who is Protestant and has a postgraduate degree has a:

🔵 53% chance of voting for Biden
🔴 47% Trump

A straight white man aged 35-44 from a suburb in Massachusetts, who is Catholic or Orthodox and has a postgraduate degree has a:

🔴 51% chance of voting for Trump
🔵 49% Biden

I am the SWING VOTER, bow down to me American media and ask me all the questions.

A straight white man aged 35-44 from a suburb in Massachusetts, who is Catholic or Orthodox and has a postgraduate degree has a:

🔴 51% chance of voting for Trump
🔵 49% Biden

I am the SWING VOTER, bow down to me American media and ask me all the questions.
Here’s one: what’s wrong with you?

Here’s one: what’s wrong with you?
giphy.gif

A straight white man aged 45-54 from a city in North Carolina, who is Protestant and has a postgraduate degree has a:

🔵 53% chance of voting for Biden
🔴 47% Trump

Ditto...

I'm sure there's correlation with the people I choose to hang out with, but other men I know who are demographically the same are all Biden voters.

What's the difference between a Protestant and an Evangelical? Because I'm apparently only kinda Trumpy with the former and suuuuuuuuper Trumpy with the latter.

What's the difference between a Protestant and an Evangelical? Because I'm apparently only kinda Trumpy with the former and suuuuuuuuper Trumpy with the latter.
Snakes and dunking people

Evangelical implies more of a conservative theology where the Bible is not merely important to try and understand (in all of the relevant contexts, literary and historical etc.) but essentially flawless (inerrant, infallible, etc.). Interestingly, in spite of this general commitment and approach, there are widely varying strains or emphases among all that falls under the “evangelical” label.

There’s also much more of a “we/they” or “us vs them (the world)” mentality among evangelicals which renders them more susceptible to hyperpartisan political attitudes.

Can think of Evangelicals vs “mainline” Protestant churches although still certainly some crossover.

Yeah:

Protestant is any non-Catholic/orthodox Christian, including mainline denominations like Methodists, PCUSA, Lutherans, Episcopalians, UCC, etc.

Tenets of Evangelicalism revolve around Bebbington's quadrilateral:

Conversionism - Believers must have a personal experience of conversion/salvation (being "born again")
Biblicism - Authoritativeness of Scripture in all matters of life and faith and placing primacy on the exposition and proclamation of Scripture in Worship
Crucicentrism - The importance of the crucifixion and resurrection as it pertains to salvation, especially espousing a Penal Substitutionary Atonement understanding of salvation
Activism - the importance of acting upon one's faith - mostly putting an emphasis on evangelism and sharing the Good News, but increasingly having a dominionist approach to faith and politics, although historically Evangelicals were proponents of the separation of Church and State, dividing the two into secular matters and matter of eternal importance.

Last edited:
Yeah:

Protestant is any non-Catholic/orthodox Christian, including mainline denominations like Methodists, PCUSA, Lutherans, Episcopalians, UCC, etc.

Tenets of Evangelicalism revolve around Bebbington's quadrilateral:

Conversionism - Believers must have a personal experience of conversion/salvation (being "born again")
Biblicism - Authoritativeness of Scripture in all matters of life and faith and placing primacy on the exposition and proclamation of Scripture in Worship
Crucicentrism - The importance of the crucifixion and resurrection as it pertains to salvation, especially espousing a Penal Substitutional Atonement understanding of salvation
Activism - the importance of acting upon one's faith - mostly putting an emphasis on evangelism and sharing the Good News.
I would also argue that "evangelical" in America is a term that has really lost all meaning and serves as a proxy term for socio-political orthodoxy.

Back