• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

If that's the lineup, Deacs going with the vets at all of the spots where there were questions. Who is the leading candidate to be WF's midweek starter?

Morningstar and Leffew are going to split it up most likely. A few innings each so they may be available on the weekends too is what Coach said most recently

Would love to see either Morningstar or Leffew evolve into the Seth Keener role. It was just so huge to have a pitcher that could reliably throw multiple innings when a starter had an off game, there was a rain delay, WF plays an extra midweek game, an ACC game goes extra innings, or whatever requried an arm when a top 3 starter or a closer could not be used. WF's three weekend starters were amazing last year, but to have a fourth pitcher with Keener's talent and versatility was a huge reason why WF won 50+ games, and had the NCAA's best ERA and other pitching stats by a mile. I know there are talented arms outside of the top 3 (and WF's closers) on this roster, but whether they are in position to channel that talent into mound dominance is another story.

If that's the lineup, Deacs going with the vets at all of the spots where there were questions. Who is the leading candidate to be WF's midweek starter?
Was told in the fall that it would likely be Leffew. Things may have changed from that point, though.

I don't doubt his ability. Just find it laughable to consider him anywhere but 1B. Dude is a generational talent at 1B.
Dude I 100% agree. Anyone that suggests he projects as an OF in pro ball hasn’t watched him play defense. Absolutely incredible

Marek Houston had a big summer. Walter has said he expects major offensive improvement from him.

Marek Houston had a big summer. Walter has said he expects major offensive improvement from him.
You could see him figuring it out at the plate the second half of the season. I remember quite a few hard hit balls that ended up in a glove far more often than the odds would have suggested.

Tomorrow at lunch we're bringing in PB's for the celebration of opening day and I'm encouraging "forcing" everybody to watch the team 109 documentary.

By this time tomorrow, I should be cracking open a beer and wandering towards the promise land that is the couch.

Tomorrow at lunch we're bringing in PB's for the celebration of opening day and I'm encouraging "forcing" everybody to watch the team 109 documentary.

By this time tomorrow, I should be cracking open a beer and wandering towards the promise land that is the couch.
Will see you there

Not sure if posted, but here's ESPN's college baseball preview roundtable...

Lots of Wake talk
Love this quote " My waaaaay too early MCWS prediction is that it's hard to predict a scenario where the Demon Deacons aren't one of the last two standing for the MCWS finals. It's a long season but Wake Forest, similar to LSU last year, feels like its talent is built to withstand the journey. But as they say ... we shall see!"

Lot of the nation's eyes are on the Deacs which is pretty cool if they can live up to expectations.

I think more than one baseball thread is going to work. I need more entries for the baseball contest from our collection of astute baseball minds. @IAppreciateIt probably has all these answers in his projections already.

Numbers through ACC tournament, regional, and super regional games. In other words, pre-Omaha.

1. Team ERA. Over or under 3.35.
2. Home runs hit by Wake. Over or under 125.
3. Runs scored by Wake. Over or under 580.
4. Marek Houston’s on base percentage. Over or under .459%.
5. Wake’s team on base percentage. Over or under .425%.
6. Wake’s team slugging percentage. Over or under .530%.
7. Wake’s total stolen bases. Over or under 50.
8. Wake’s total sacrifice bunts. Over or under 27.
9. Jake Reinisch’s OPS. Over or under .985%.
10. Team wins. Over or under 47.
11. Higher OPS, Katz or Winnay.
12. Freshman with most at bats on the team.
13. Wake player with 2nd most home runs.
14. Pitcher with the 4th most wins on the team.
15. Pick 8 teams to make Omaha. Each correct answer is worth half a point.

Tiebreaker: How many strikeouts will Burns record this year?
Not official until I see stuff like “First Bloop”, “Highest Individual Bloop %”, etc…lol

Back