• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Based on the committee’s dedication to RPI, if we stay top 16 RPI then it’s reasonably possible. But every year there’s a couple top 16 RPI teams that don’t host due to weak resumes on paper, and Wake screams that this year. Committee likes easy to digest numbers, and a .500 ACC record is hard to overlook.

I think the Deacs gotta make it to ACC semis to have any sort of real chance now.
Wasn’t it 2 years ago we had an RPI of 6 and didn’t host right?

We've proven to be a team with one reliable starting pitcher. One good reliever. And maybe 3-4 solid position players. Otherwise a lot of weak links. No way we have the depth to do anything in a tournament setting.
I think a non-biased and/or emotionally invested observer would agree with this assessment.

yep, and we weren’t really even in the hosting discussion because of our mediocre conference record.

@deacon14 RPI isn’t nearly as important to the selections as you are making it out to be
I watched the D1 baseball podcast last week, and they talked incessantly about how much the committee cares about RPI. They probably mentioned twenty times that nearly every hosting pick they get wrong is due to RPI

In the grand scheme of things I think this is a pretty good baseball team for Wake Forest. Not extraordinary like last year, but pretty good. I came to this frustrating realization in March so I’m not as frustrated now. It might be a decade or three before we have a better team than this year. In particular, it’s scary to think about next year. Is Marek going to hit cleanup?

We should just try and enjoy the remainder of the season. We have some truly elite talent (Burns/Kurtz). We are an NCAA lock and theoretically could win a sub regional. It might be many years before we are back in this spot.

In the grand scheme of things I think this is a pretty good baseball team for Wake Forest. Not extraordinary like last year, but pretty good. I came to this frustrating realization in March so I’m not as frustrated now. It might be a decade or three before we have a better team than this year. In particular, it’s scary to think about next year. Is Marek going to hit cleanup?

We should just try and enjoy the remainder of the season. We have some truly elite talent (Burns/Kurtz). We are an NCAA lock and theoretically could win a sub regional. It might be many years before we are back in this spot.
Hard to say. We were objectively good in portal recruiting last year. Will that continue? We seem invested in the program financially.

And, in my opinion, one of our biggest handicaps, the scholarship limit vs. cost of attendance is gone. The opportunity is still there, but it won’t come easy.

Worried about losing Winnay in the draft though.

Burns and Kurtz are irreplaceable though.

Hopefully we'd get reinforcements, but with what we'd have right now I'd go Tony, Javar, Marek, Winnay.

But Winnay draft, and transfers out could definitely derail that.

IMG_2698.jpeg
This is what Just Means Less ACC has on Twitter, and Les Johns at least agrees our pool is Pitt UNC

Back