• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

Honest assessment we are a good team. Outside of last year the past ten years we are thrilled with this team. But we are 50/50 hosting right now. We shit the bed collectively first half based on what everyone thought we had. Granted tough schedule but we didn’t play well. We have Kurtz playing out of his mind. That’s good. Josh seems to be turning a corner. That’s good. We are not looking like a number 1 team. Fine. Put the pieces together and we can be in Omaha. If I had to guess I think we are gonna just be on on a regional or a 2. And be the scariest 2 on the post season.

This team keeps winning series the rest of the way, and they could absolutely still host a Super. Top 10 RPI which will inch towards top 5. Top 5 SOS. Even with the early struggles, that is absolutely a top notch resume.
Agreed. Gonna have to play like Friday and Sunday and not like yesterday. It’s there but we’re going to have to play our best baseball to close out. My money would be on we host a regional and get a beatable super. Think that’s even money. Get our shit together and then we are peaking at the right time and who knows

Agreed. Gonna have to play like Friday and Sunday and not like yesterday. It’s there but we’re going to have to play our best baseball to close out. My money would be on we host a regional and get a beatable super. Think that’s even money. Get our shit together and then we are peaking at the right time and who knows
Certainly have some opportunities to make a statement with fsu and clemson at home.

i think last years team was so unusually and exceptionally good, plus had a pretty easy schedule, that is set unrealistic expectations about how elite college baseball teams actually perform.

i think the fact that we are top 10 in rpi despite how poorly we’ve generally played is a testament to that.
Wake’s fanbase is in a weird spot. A lot of fans didn’t start paying attention until halfway through last year, and they expected Wake to have a repeat performance this season. No hate from me to those people, nothing wrong with being a new fan.

But last year’s team was historically good. Wake could be incredible at baseball for the next 10 years and never have a team that talented and successful again.

We had a big advantage that second game against LSU and could not close it out. Had we won that and taken out Florida we would have been among the best college teams of the era, IMO. When was the last time the 1 seed won it all? I agree the perspective on this year's team would be different without that standard.

I think top 8 seeds have been making Omaha about 50% of the time in recent years, so getting a top 8 seed is important.

There are a bunch of young arms being relied on. It will be frustrating some games but they have talent. I hope it comes together at the right time to help Wake get to Omaha. Roland and Wade coming back helps a bunch but they are still early in the process.

Less posting on this thread today? Weird.
I feel like we’ve gotten it rolling when I don’t post during the game lately (I mean baseball players and fans aren’t superstitious at all, am I right?)…I’m just now catching up from today as I was out and about and listening in on the app. I definitely screamed “Nukes!!!!!!” out in public after both home runs so people probably thought I was some crazy dude. Sad I couldn’t watch Cole finish them off but I was grinning the entire bottom of the ninth with Draco Don Diablo doing his thing for the Deacs Win!!!

I go through phases of posting during baseball season. Same with the Braves boards. I’m always watching but I may not post during a game for a week and then post 50 times the next game.

Back