• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2024 Wake Baseball Thread: What Did We Do To Deserve This?

There's no way we're winning anything with only one effective starting pitcher. Maybe make Morningstar the 2nd SP, move Hartle to the 3rd and switch Massey to reliever.

That preseason hype is the only reason we stayed ranked earlier and is certainly the only reason we’re in the top 10 now.

i don’t think we’ve ever been ranked more than two spots above our RPI, so don’t believe this is true.

that said, it’s certainly a time to be disappointed with the squad

It's not just Wake Forest it's literally all the college baseball team websites. Judging by the fact they're the same layout, I'm pretty sure it's the same company that creates all of them. It's frustrating as hell. Takes forever to load and it takes like 5 different screens to get what you want.
it's so bad for all sports

like the baseball score for today's game is maybe like sixth option on the score header -- would make sense if there were five other wake sporting events today, but it's buried behind old games!

We have zero business being ranked in the top 10.
Same kind of stuff you see in football & basketball where the same powers stay up for far too long because of name only. Was hard to figure this week how we were at 8 (26-13) ahead of 15 UNC (30-10) who swept us and 14 UVa (30-11) who took 2 of 3 from us?

Same kind of stuff you see in football & basketball where the same powers stay up for far too long because of name only. Was hard to figure this week how we were at 8 (26-13) ahead of 15 UNC (30-10) who swept us and 14 UVa (30-11) who took 2 of 3 from us?

Timing of wins matters to pollsters. 🤷‍♂️

I don't want to go back to find the quote of the idiot saying Hartles dad thinks the pitching lab ruined him, but what a stupid ass take. The pitching lab is a primary reason for his elevation into being an elite pitcher.

I don't want to go back to find the quote of the idiot saying Hartles dad thinks the pitching lab ruined him, but what a stupid ass take. The pitching lab is a primary reason for his elevation into being an elite pitcher.
Josh Hartle was the second best left hander in his class in high school and would've probably been a second round pick in 2021 at least if he didn't claim before the draft that his commitment to WF is unwavering. I have no idea if the pitching lab really did screw him up but he was elite even before he arrived on campus.

I don’t mean to change the discussion, but do any of you know about senior parking at the Couch? I haven’t been to a game since at Hooks, but have 2 tickets for Western Carolina. Am planning on taking my 85 yo mom who has ALZ. She can walk, but inclines over a distance are a problem. Since unfamiliar area, I don’t want to drop her off and say “wait here” while I park.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What a stupid ass reply when the results scream for the criticism. You know why no other program has one? Because it's an f-in waste of money. I'm sure opposing coaches are lying low in commenting ,waiting to see real tangible results. The entire pitching squad, except for Burns, is terrible with no consistency. We are walking, HBPs, and PBs way too much to say we have an elite bullpen of pitchers

Dog shit week. Clemson and State series still present an opportunity, but who knows which team will show up.

What a stupid ass reply when the results scream for the criticism. You know why no other program has one? Because it's an f-in waste of money. I'm sure opposing coaches are lying low in commenting ,waiting to see real tangible results. The entire pitching squad, except for Burns, is terrible with no consistency. We are walking, HBPs, and PBs way too much to say we have an elite bullpen of pitchers
Our ERA was lowest in country last year by almost a full point compared to next best pitching team and literally every pitcher had a big improvement yoy from ‘22 including Hartle going from a 5.30 to a 2.81, so yeah it definitely looked like an absolute diff. Maker. Was it a mirage because we just had elite pitchers improving with another year of maturity and a transfer in like Sullivan that made our starting pitching so elite or did pitching lab make a real diff. This year is not looking so good but time will tell and think some bitter folks looking for blame at this point and way too early to blame the lab vs the mental aspect of pitching.

But other programs do have them…

Josh Hartle was the second best left hander in his class in high school and would've probably been a second round pick in 2021 at least if he didn't claim before the draft that his commitment to WF is unwavering. I have no idea if the pitching lab really did screw him up but he was elite even before he arrived on campus.

He was an elite HS player who added 5mph to his fastball and improved control on breaking pitches to become an elite college player.

Regarding the pitching lab nonsense. I spoke with Walter in November. The New York Yankees brass visited and built an almost identical lab to Wake's. At that time (November), over 25 major league teams had visited our lab and a number of major league pitchers had requested lab time for analysis. I'm just relaying what Walter told me. So, let's please stop with the pitching lab nonsense in that it does not help clubs. I think the NY Yankees might know a little bit about playing baseball.

I recall someone instrumental in the lab leaving for another opportunity this year. May have been an instrumental grad student, but I remember an announcement. The data from the lab is almost useless unless you have people to interpret it and make changes. Wonder if that had an impact.

Regardless of the cause, Josh Hartle transforming from a consensus top-10 pick to a low level mid week ACC starter has been extremely damaging to the team. Some of it's probably due to our poor infield defense, but not all of it. Baffling regression.

Back