• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

8-4

The Thursday night game the following year was a blast. One of the most fun Wake football games ever, up there with the BC win in 06 and Clemson Thursday nighter in 08(?).

Pretty good run there. 06 was my senior year and the next two years I was living in ATL and had young alumni tix. I was always able to leave early on Fridays to get up to W-S for home games, and took the day off for both the FSU (07) and Clemson (08) games. Clemson can thank us for that 08 win because it was the final straw in Tommy Bowden's career and caused them to promote Dabo.

Only thing that sucks is I got laid off the day after that 08 Clemson game...

i can see maybe 7 wins. i think we CAN only win 8, but too many of those games are close (NCSU, Duke, Syracuse, and GT). i think we lose to GT and maybe one more.

The only game we have left this year that is not against a top 60 team is Utah State.

Another issue is the breakdown of home and away games. After Utah State, of the games against the four worst teams left on our schedule three of them are on the road (Syracuse, App, Georgia Tech) with Duke as the only home game.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/pages/2017-wake-forest-advanced-statistical-profile

Bill Connelly's ratings have Wake with a better shot at finishing 4-8 (13%) than 8-4 (9%).

57.7% chance of finishing 6-6 or better.

Probably slightly more optimistic than the fanbase.

I like our chances against FSU. They certainly didn't look special against Bama with Francois who is a special talent. They'll only have two games before playing us. It will be Blackmon's first road game. I wouldn't be surprised if they lose to State in two Saturdays.

We will be more than a TD home dog regardless.

Yeah just based off of Florida State, our 6-6 or better odds are going to be better than currently projected unless FSU is somehow still a top 5 team with their new QB.

If you just look at teams on our schedule I could see 6 wins. However, the order of our schedule is brutal. Even if we go into FSU 4-0 we are likely to go 0-5 after that, including some ass beatings and heart breakers. I don't know if we will bounce back to win two of three down the stretch.

If you just look at teams on our schedule I could see 6 wins. However, the order of our schedule is brutal. Even if we go into FSU 4-0 we are likely to go 0-5 after that, including some ass beatings and heart breakers. I don't know if we will bounce back to win two of three down the stretch.

Yeah, I really think a 4-0 start is a near must for us to get to 6. 3-1 doesn't make it impossible, but it would be really difficult. I said coming into this year, we could be better than last year and not get to 6 wins with our schedule.

Blackman went into the season as a redshirt candidate behind a redshirt Junior and another true freshman (Bailey Hockman) who was more highly rated. Hockman originally committed to Georgia and expected to be Eason's backup this year, but when Richt got fired and Smart came in frrom Alabama, Fromm flipped from Alabama to Georgia. Hockman had reopened his recruitment already. Hockman got to campus in the spring, but Blackman passed him in the summer when he arrived. So, Hockman has a better grasp of the playbook at this point but Blackman just looks better on the field. Hockman has also been a little dinged up.

So, my point is, Blackman's only had two months in the FSU playbook, so I would expect a pretty limited offense from the Noles for the next few weeks and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets benched and Hockman gets a chance. And if you think Francois looked a little thin out there, Blackman is four inches taller and 20 pounds lighter. He's going to get crushed multiple times in the next few weeks.

FSU just started back practice today after losing 5 days of practice due to Irma. That's got to be a killer with a freshman QB.

I feel like Jimbo always struggles against Wake, and we've kept it close even in some of our down years. I'm thinking this is the year we break through.

My take on remaining schedule

Utah State - W 31-16
@ App - W 24-14
F$U - W 24-21
@ Clempson - L 31-13
@ GT - W 34-24
Loserville - L 35-17
@ ND - L 24-21
@ Cuse - W 28-17
NCSU - L 24-10
Dooook - W 24-20

I can see 8-4 happening. The F$U game is likely wishful thinking on my part, but I think it's possible. I can also see us possibly winning at ND and losing one to Cuse or Dookie. 8-4 is possible but 7-5 is likely.

Solid take, SCDeac.

My take on remaining schedule

Utah State - W 31-16
@ App - W 24-14
F$U - W 24-21
@ Clempson - L 31-13
@ GT - W 34-24
Loserville - L 35-17
@ ND - L 24-21
@ Cuse - W 28-17
NCSU - L 24-10
Dooook - W 24-20

I can see 8-4 happening. The F$U game is likely wishful thinking on my part, but I think it's possible. I can also see us possibly winning at ND and losing one to Cuse or Dookie. 8-4 is possible but 7-5 is likely.

I agree with your prediction except I'm going 7 regular season wins - replacing your W @GT with a loss

I still think it's a battle to get to 6-6. The offense is better but it's still below average for an FBS team (although it definitely looks improved). The defense may be even better than we expected (certainly top 25-30) but it's tough to tell given the two games we have played.

Absolutely must hold serve at home against Utah State and Duke and then take two of @ Syracuse, State, @App, and the five game gauntlet.

Another thing in our favor against FSU is that the Miami game is now the week after. May be looking ahead or saving some of the playbook.

Another thing in our favor against FSU is that the Miami game is now the week after. May be looking ahead or saving some of the playbook.

I think they're frantically trying to install a playbook for Blackman post-Irma. It's not a matter of holding things back. They really needed that ULM game.

Back