• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Men's Golf Championship

In case anybody hasn't noticed. Wake leads the ACC men's championship right now.

Don't look now, and it's early, but our guys are playing their collective asses off. Now leading and three deacs are three under individually on today's round. Will we break through and win an ACCT after a 28 year drought?

Ahhhh!
We're -7 today and that includes a bogey, bogey, double bogey by 3 of our guys on their latest hole.
We're in 2nd place and 4 shots behind GT.
Still lots to play, but the Deacs are looking good today.

bring it home!

If there is one sport at WF that is (or should be) the opposite of LOWF, it's men's golf. With a seemingly endless of stud alumni, headed by Arnie, a rack of NCs and a record number of ACC titles, we are and have always been an elite golf program. All true, except one embarrassing fact, ZERO ACC men's titles since 1991. Yes, WF basketball, football, baseball, and soccer have all won ACC titles (some multiple) since the last men's golf title.

The first round for this year's ACC title is on-going and WF is in 6th behind BC, among others.... Hoping for move-up the leaderboard, but fear that the streak goes to 23 straight years by Sunday.

:mad:

Link to the live results: http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/championship_m-golf_livestats

This year's team should be able to win the ACC title next year as one of 2-3 favorites.

Anything less and I hope Haas "retires"

I got there today around 11:30 right when everyone was getting excited about our awesome start. The chatter (I won't say the B...z word) died down quickly as we made our way to the back nine.

Walked the entire course, met a couple of the parents along the way. Cy's dad was having a hard time watching his son struggle but was super friendly. Danny's mom was also very nice to talk to, she'd driven down from CT for the weekend. I think both parents were surprised and enjoyed seeing a young alum with no direct dies to a player out there supporting the team. All 5 kids seemed to get down on themselves a bit on the back nine when things headed south, but I saw them leaving the clubhouse and loading the van and they seemed pretty upbeat. Parents are excited for the next couple years with good recruits coming in.

Some of the VT and ND guys tore it up out there today. Great day out there all around.

I got there today around 11:30 right when everyone was getting excited about our awesome start. The chatter (I won't say the B...z word) died down quickly as we made our way to the back nine.

Walked the entire course, met a couple of the parents along the way. Cy's dad was having a hard time watching his son struggle but was super friendly. Danny's mom was also very nice to talk to, she'd driven down from CT for the weekend. I think both parents were surprised and enjoyed seeing a young alum with no direct dies to a player out there supporting the team. All 5 kids seemed to get down on themselves a bit on the back nine when things headed south, but I saw them leaving the clubhouse and loading the van and they seemed pretty upbeat. Parents are excited for the next couple years with good recruits coming in.

Some of the VT and ND guys tore it up out there today. Great day out there all around.

Good report. Watching your kid play college golf will age you.

Good report. Watching your kid play college golf will age you.

I can barely watch my son play high school golf without lighting myself on fire. My kids have at some point played baseball, soccer, softball, basketball, competitive cheer and football. Golf is BY FAR the hardest to watch as a parent...

Went from the lead to 25 down in 9 holes ??

We didn't have a good back nine but in fairness when we were leading Ga Tech was barely on the course and they went 15 under as a team in the final round. So that is a lot of it.

We didn't have a good back nine but in fairness when we were leading Ga Tech was barely on the course and they went 15 under as a team in the final round. So that is a lot of it.

We were -11 under at the time and finished +3. We fell apart.

We did. I followed Clancy Waugh for about 12 holes and he was excellent on his first four holes (-3). In fact, he was the only person to eagle #4 for the entire tournament. His fifth hole he hooked his driver into the woods and he kind of fell apart after that. The kid has all of the physical tools to be a pro, but he just needs to work on his mental game. I was actually very surprised that Jerry or another coach didn't walk with him during the day given that he was 2nd overall headed into Sunday.

Our teams have cratered down the stretch almost every year for what seems like forever. But in this case I wouldn't be as hard on them as you are. This is a really young team (because of poor recruiting until last year) and for them to get shaky in the final round of a 54 hole conference championship isn't all that surprising. You can also look at the front nine and be impressed. I choose to look at it as a glass half full.

We did. I followed Clancy Waugh for about 12 holes and he was excellent on his first four holes (-3). In fact, he was the only person to eagle #4 for the entire tournament. His fifth hole he hooked his driver into the woods and he kind of fell apart after that. The kid has all of the physical tools to be a pro, but he just needs to work on his mental game. I was actually very surprised that Jerry or another coach didn't walk with him during the day given that he was 2nd overall headed into Sunday.

Always a tough call. Totally possible Clancy doesnt like coaches taking an active role on the course with him in those situations.

Back