• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Sports Journal: Ron Wellman’s Risky Call

No doubt that Wellman’s earned that. For most of his 22 years at Wake Forest, he’s been one of the nation’s most respected athletic directors, earning praise from his coaches, his peers and even opposing fans. Wellman has taken Wake Forest to sports heights that are almost unimaginable for a school of its size (third-smallest undergraduate enrollment among the FBS schools) and academic reputation.

I thought this was proven to be a myth in another thread

If it says Ron Wellman earned something, i'm not reading it.

Ron is dated and won't succeed in modern athletics. At least 50% coaching in 2010+ is being a salesman and he hired a tactician (cough) with a personality disorder. He envisions Hoosiers but that won't happen in this 1 and done era. Either adapt or be left behind. It's time to move past the 1960's and have Ron retire and Bzzz be fired else we will soon have a lost decade from which we may never recover.

Wellman is not deterred. He has made it clear internally that he expected problems, to the extent that he’s willing to essentially wipe the first two seasons off the books, and that [Redacted]’s performance in season three exceeded what Wellman expected. Off the court, he sees a program behaving in the Wake Forest way

Oh, Jesus Christ!

However, even internally, Wellman is not positioning this next year as a make-or-break season for [Redacted]. So let’s be honest, barring a massive breakdown or player defections (which the coaching staff is confident right now won’t happen), it would appear that by keeping [Redacted] for next season, you’re really committing to possibly three more years of him.

Fuck.

The 2014-15 season seems like a tough one to mess up, with the current class as juniors, next year’s recruits with a year under their belts and four-star recruit Shelton Mitchell arriving. One more high-profile recruit for that season (Leron Black? The staff seems confident a big announcement from someone is coming soon) would then seem to make that 2015-2016 season a lock for [Redacted].

Yeah, right.

As for the candidates, in fact, [Redacted] was one of five during the process. At least one other offer is believed to have been made, to Jim Larranaga of George Mason.
[Redacted]’s performance in season three exceeded what Wellman expected

Last edited:
That is both a great and terrible article. Well written and informative, yet damning to read. I really hope football turns around this year, because it certainly seems like I can write off basketball for the foreseeable future.

Cliff Notes Version = Say Goodbye to competing at the Division I level.

It's over.

As for the candidates, in fact, [Redacted] was one of five during the process. At least one other offer is believed to have been made, to Jim Larranaga of George Mason. (Though the word “offer” often means different things to the two sides involved – the coach and the school.) Larranaga had proved he could win at a small school, he had a strong academic reputation, and he had worked under Terry Holland, for whom Wellman has the highest respect. But the two could not agree on a deal.

Never ever heard that before. Fucking shit. I bet they went at it over the assistants partly if this is in fact true.

No doubt that Wellman’s earned that. For most of his 22 years at Wake Forest, he’s been one of the nation’s most respected athletic directors, earning praise from his coaches, his peers and even opposing fans. Wellman has taken Wake Forest to sports heights that are almost unimaginable for a school of its size (third-smallest undergraduate enrollment among the FBS schools) and academic reputation.

I thought this was proven to be a myth in another thread

To be fair, even if Wellman didn't hire the coaches, he was in charge of the department during that success, so he certainly deserves some of the credit.

It was a well done but depressing read... but I also don't buy he is guaranteed 2 more years because of Shelton and possibly one of his highly rated buddies. Next year could be disastrous depending on various factors.

I wonder if Don Flow might be getting the least bit uncomfortable having his name hitched with this disaster. After all, the man sells cars.

If the Stratton boys want a truly laser-like attack, I think this would be their next target. Get the car guy hot under the collar from some heat and things fall quickly.

Crown auto is just 30 miles down the road.

Just my 2 cents.

He seemed to cave to pressure from Codi Miller-McIntyre’s family and friends when he publicly said he would start Madison Jones in the ACC Tournament, then reinserted Miller-McIntyre at the last minute.

This is also interesting.

Wow. That's a fantastic article. Even gets the 8 man class right at the end. Agree with basically every single thing in there, and a few of the details behind the scenes were interesting as well.

I like the Grobe 'I can always trust Ron' quote juxtaposed with the story posted a few weeks ago about Ron congratulating Dino immediately following the Texas win.

The only drama left is to see the ridiculous Ron Wellman quote whenever it is released next week.

1339728639_333.jpg

before going too far, we need to be clear about one thing that is not at risk: Wellman’s job.
I got to here and had to stop reading. If you are disgusted by what has gone on please consider not attending the games. If it gets to the point where there are only 300-400 people in the stands it might finally sink in for Hatch and the BOT that they have royally screwed up by enabling this nonsense.

Back