• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC to try 30-second shot clock, join modern basketball era

Think about this, if bkf was so pissed off 25 years ago that he quit Wake and at the time when he was only a new OWG he has now had years upon years to work his craft and become the ultimate OWG. You are dealing with a true master.

LOL. Can you even spell Len Chappell's name....the guy who led WF to its only FF in history? I'd guess that about one-fourth of the people on this board cannot. I've seen Len spelled "Lyn" and Chappell spelled "Chapel", "Chappel" & "Chapell". Also, roughly the same number don't know who Dickie Hemric is...and some that do think his name is spelled "Hemrick". They've never heard of Lefty Davis, Jackie Murdock, Jack Williams, Jim Gilley, Ernie Wiggins or Dave Budd. They couldn't even tell you who Dave Wiedeman, Bob Woollard or Frank Christie were...guys who started on WF's only FF team. Many couldn't tell you what "Gore Gym" is, or who Doc Murphy was. And they think that WF basketball began in 1994.

Isn't it Doc Murphrey? You should really brush up on your history before you starting talking crap about ability of people to spell WF legends correctly.

Last edited:
Oh, I don't know. Skip Brown, Rod Griffin, Jerry Schellenberg, Frank Johnson, Leroy McDonald, Jim Johnstone, Guy Morgan, Alvis Rogers, Mike Helms, Delaney Rudd, Anthony Teachey, Kenny Green, Danny Young & Muggsy Bogues were pretty darn good players.

I'll tell ya one thing that Carl Tacy could do: He could coach. He won 10 games against Carolina teams that were ranked in the top 10 in the nation at the time. He won 4 Big Four Championships & made two Elite Eights.

I agree with you that Skip was an excellent recruiter. If he had recruited that 2005 team, then turned it over to Carl Tacy to coach, it might have won an NCAA Championship. I guaran-damn-tee you it wouldn't have lost in the 2nd round.....because Carl Tacy never lost an NCAAT game when his team was favored.

#5 seed Boston College beat #4 seed Wake Forest in 1981 NCAAT.

So about this shot clock deal. I like 30. I agree going to 24 would be pretty ruinous for college offenses. 30 is a perfect balance. I would love to see an 8 second backcourt as well. Encourage more pressing.

LOL at Slim asking about the moms of older people.

Mama bkf frowning from heaven telling St. Peter, "I can't believe my baby types LOL!"

LOL at Slim asking about the moms of older people.

Mama bkf frowning from heaven telling St. Peter, "I can't believe my baby types LOL!"

Heaven moms scare me more than earth moms. They can see everything rather than just suspecting it.

Please explain the 1983 NCSU national title under your teams with superior talent have always won in college basketball theory

Going back over 30 years to find a problem with that comment. Watch out df07, he might get modern-day on you and break out the 1985 Villanova team.

If tournament success is all that matters, Tacy was a pretty average coach.

Please name all the WFU men's basketball coaches with more tournament success. I'll start, Bones and DGO. Name all the others.

Please explain the 1983 NCSU national title under your teams with superior talent have always won in college basketball theory

That's a very convincing sample size argument. Please explain the 2003 Syracuse title in any argument against 1 and done players winning championships.

Luck is a bigger factor in CBB than perhaps any other NCAA sport. It's the nature of the postseason. CONSISTENTLY, programs with superior talent have had better success.

Please name all the WFU men's basketball coaches with more tournament success. I'll start, Bones and DGO. Name all the others.

I made no statements regarding that mediocrity within the context of WFU Basketball history. He was .500 in the NCAAT. That seems to me to be neither good nor bad, thus my conclusion with bkf's logic of him being average.

Going back over 30 years to find a problem with that comment. Watch out df07, he might get modern-day on you and break out the 1985 Villanova team.

I am not the one who said teams with superior talent have always won in college basketball maybe he should have qualified his statement. I like the current game and look forward to the shorter time clock but try not to dismiss others opinions out of hand simply because I do not agreee. I probably watch more NBA than college basketball over the last few years because we sucked so badly, I did not care who was winning at the college level.

I made no statements regarding that mediocrity within the context of WFU Basketball history. He was .500 in the NCAAT. That seems to me to be neither good nor bad, thus my conclusion with bkf's logic of him being average.

I think he was as good a coach as we normally end up with. I do not think we have a great history of coaches. Although this last guy did set the bar at a new low erasing Bob Stacks long standing prior low bar.

That's a very convincing sample size argument. Please explain the 2003 Syracuse title in any argument against 1 and done players winning championships.

Luck is a bigger factor in CBB than perhaps any other NCAA sport. It's the nature of the postseason. CONSISTENTLY, programs with superior talent have had better success.

I can agree with this statement, that always word bugged me in the other.

35 seconds is too long?

Better idea is to limit trips to the FT line. zzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:
35 seconds is too long?

Better idea is to limit trips to the FT line. zzzzzzzzzz

I have heard the idea floated that if a player is fouled in the act of shooting that the team would just get 1 point and the ball back. Idea kind of has merit. Would speed up play for sure. You could always amend the rule for the last two minutes or something in order to give teams a chance to foul and get back in the game, but for the large part of the game I think the point+ball method would be an effective deterrent to fouling and not slow down a game.

I also like the idea of a 4 point shot. Might seem silly, but if you can hit a 27 foot shot you should get rewarded for it. Would make the end of game situations REALLY interesting. Would space the floor even more if a team had a pure shooter on it.

Back