• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Tournament

JoeDonBaker

Reaction score
Anyone looking to unload a few lower level books? I am local and just want to go experience the tournament one more (last?) time in Greensboro. Please pm me and I'd love to take them off your hands.

Tickets for the tourney are easy now.

And the tourney will be back in Greensboro. It's the home of the conference headquarters.

I'm also interested in going to semifinal Saturday. Is the best strategy just to hope Carolina or Duke loses on Friday? If anyone wants to sell a couple inbox me.

If chalk holds for the semis (UVA, Syracuse, Duke, UNC) then tickets will be ridiculously difficult to get for a reasonable price I would think.

If chalk holds for the semis (UVA, Syracuse, Duke, UNC) then tickets will be ridiculously difficult to get for a reasonable price I would think.

I got a ticket pretty easily for semi-final saturday in 2006 when Wake, Duke, UNC and BC were the 4 teams playing. I guess the Cuse might ramp up demand. They are like UNC fans.

I have paid face or just above it to see Duke and UNC on semifinal saturday a couple of times since 2000. Was it 2003 when Wake played State and UNC played Duke? You could get a ticket for that session.

Compared to the 90s and earlier, tickets are a breeze to get now.

Last edited:
Unless you are prepared to pay big bucks, you had better hope than Carolina and Duke both lose on Friday. Just one of them losing won't help you.....and there is about as much chance that we will be there Saturday as there is that Carolina and Duke will both lose on Friday.

My experience is that Duke doesn't drive ticket scarcity at all. Just Carolina.

Tickets are much much easier to get to the tourney overall than they were 15-20 years ago, and when UNC is eliminated, you should never pay over face.

My experience is that Duke doesn't drive ticket scarcity at all. Just Carolina.

Tickets are much much easier to get to the tourney overall than they were 15-20 years ago, and when UNC is eliminated, you should never pay over face.

Correct. Dook always waits until the title game against someone other than UNC and they fill the place. Otherwise, they bring the same number as State, (and Wake in a good year).

I looked it up in the past, but I don't think there's every been an ACC Tournament without Duke or UNC in the semifinals. I'll double check.

52 of the 60 ACCT finals have had either UNC or Duke. Of the eight that haven't, Wake has played in four. Only one title game ever hasn't had a Big 4 team in it - 1990 when Georgia Tech beat Virginia.

Last edited:
I looked it up in the past, but I don't think there's every been an ACC Tournament without Duke or UNC in the semifinals. I'll double check.

52 of the 60 ACCT finals have had either UNC or Duke. Of the eight that haven't, Wake has played in four. Only one title game ever hasn't had a Big 4 team in it - 1990 when Georgia Tech beat Virginia.

1996 ACC Tournament

GT vs Md
Wake vs Clemson

Figured 73 might be another one. Wake beat UNC in the 1st round that year in a big upset and Duke stunk in the early to mid 70s.

1973:

State vs. Va.
Maryland vs. Wake

You're probably right about Carolina drawing much more than Duke. I thought about that after my post on the subject. You're also right about tickets being easier to get now than they were 15-20 years ago.....and there is a reason for that. The product isn't nearly as good as it was then....and neither is the interest in college basketball overall. All the early entries have taken a toll on watering down the product of college basketball.

HD Television has as much to do with it as anything.

You're probably right about Carolina drawing much more than Duke. I thought about that after my post on the subject. You're also right about tickets being easier to get now than they were 15-20 years ago.....and there is a reason for that. The product isn't nearly as good as it was then....and neither is the interest in college basketball overall. All the early entries have taken a toll on watering down the product of college basketball.

You are right about the effect but wrong about the cause. While early entries have been a factor, I think expansion is a much greater factor in the decline of the ACC Tournament. As I posted on the other thread, anything where WF is playing Notre Dame on a Wed in order to advance to play PITT, should not be called the ACC Tournament. What used to be a "family gathering" has turned into a "corporate event" and I don't care about it anymore.

The other thing that has made the ACC tournament much less important is the multiple bids per conference to the NCAA tournament. When the ACC tournament started, and for many years of its existence, winning the ACC tournament was the only way to get to the NCAA tournament. The ACC may have had multiple top 10 teams, but only the winner of the ACC tournament was going to the NCAA tournament. Now, with multiple invitations, winning the ACC is not as important.

Sell beer in the Coliseum. Problem solved. And the league will take in the $$$.

I miss the old days as much as anyone, but the tournament is still a lot of fun. I skipped it for 5 years in a row before going back the last 2 years. Friday isn't quite as good (although the pairings are shaping up pretty well this week, particularly if Pitt and NCSU win on Thursday), but Saturday is still a big time day of ACC hoops.

Back