• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Advice for students starting at Wake this fall

I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to deac85. You just responded before me because I looked up the ND organizational chart just to make sure I was right.

I guess he just misses the good 'ol days. I get the impression he's not a Scales or Hearn

PhDeac: here is a good one. I'm just messing with you, obviously, but it is hilarious when you come behind me and try to say the same thing in a more verbose kind of way. These posts are a little over an hour apart -- #53 and #54 on the thread about the 'traditional' culture of WF dying with the new dormitory crests:

Agreed. However, each new crop of freshman has no idea that these 'traditions' are corny and contrived, and it just seems like it has been that way forever.

Which is one way university administrations can get away with a lot of the policy changes they make. There's no institutional memory among the students. Universities make a major change. Seniors are headed out anyway. Juniors complain but they only have to deal with it for one year and may be grandfathered in or it doesn't affect them anyway. Sophomores bitch to the freshmen about how things were so much better last year. Freshmen don't really know any better.

Maybe eventually a faculty member or administrator or alum will tell them how things used to be, but by then the freshmen will think it's weird and different. "Seriously, you didn't have Griffendor or Slytherin when you were at Wake? Wow. That must have been a long time ago."

I do like your 'institutional memory' bit though.

My son started this year as well. Although I'm still pissed at paying over $60k, I have to admit the school did a good job the last couple of days getting the kids moved in and oriented. Everything was very classy. It was funny to hear Hatch make a Fruedian (sp) slip in his speech today, and refer to the dean as having worked at Notre Dame, not Wake Forest. Someone told me he does this on a fairly regular basis - I guess he's dreaming of the day he can return to South Bend in some greater capacity.
All-in-all, a pretty solid job the last few days.

Fuck Hatch. Send him back to Indiana.

I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to deac85. You just responded before me because I looked up the ND organizational chart just to make sure I was right.

#undefeated

My son started this year as well. Although I'm still pissed at paying over $60k, I have to admit the school did a good job the last couple of days getting the kids moved in and oriented. Everything was very classy. It was funny to hear Hatch make a Fruedian (sp) slip in his speech today, and refer to the dean as having worked at Notre Dame, not Wake Forest. Someone told me he does this on a fairly regular basis - I guess he's dreaming of the day he can return to South Bend in some greater capacity.
All-in-all, a pretty solid job the last few days.

I agree. Good job with orientation. Some of my son's friends went to "big" state schools, and they had multiple options for "orientations" over the summer, with little effort to get to know anyone. They have said that most people on their halls don't even come out of their rooms now that they've started classes. Such a difference from Wake's experience.

I agree. Good job with orientation. Some of my son's friends went to "big" state schools, and they had multiple options for "orientations" over the summer, with little effort to get to know anyone. They have said that most people on their halls don't even come out of their rooms now that they've started classes. Such a difference from Wake's experience.

92, I hope your son has a great 4 years! My son is in Luter and he must be having a blast, because I haven't heard from him but once since I left

have the "college" experience. It is awesome. and in 4 years go to your local community college and learn how to weld. then go get a job.

92, I hope your son has a great 4 years! My son is in Luter and he must be having a blast, because I haven't heard from him but once since I left

Thanks, hope your son has a great 4 years, too. From what I've heard, my son's having a blast, just need him to settle a little now that classes are starting. He was psyched after the thing at BB&T with Manning and Clawson.

Cool picture of the students from one of their orientation events. Looks like pastel colors are still going strong at Wake:

10622748_10152749426949238_5414438669379319044_n.jpg

there appear to be lots of freshmen in band.

I'd stay to incoming freshmen, start out with the cute but quiet ones. The loudmouth girls are always a pain in the ass, no matter how hot. But don't get all lovey on them freshman year. Work the field, walk softly but carry a big stick. ;)

And don't talk too much yourself. Find a local with a good steady bud supply and keep a low profile so it becomes a reliable source who trusts you. Only sell to your closest friends and weed out the loudmouths and you can make enough for free personal smoke. Only get blow once in a while, that shit will get away from you if you do it too much.

Don't go home until fall break or better yet, Christmas.

Spring semester don't schedule a class before 10am.

I like the guy at the 38 1/2 yard line on the hashmarks in the blue shirt facing in the opposite direction of the camera. Clearly a UNC fan ashamed to show his face. 92 or 85 needs to have his son go give that dude a beatdown.

Back