• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alistair Johnston drafted 11th in MLS Draft

jaybone

Reaction score
Goes to Nashville.

I don't think any other Deacs are expected to be drafted in the 1st round ...

Edited to add that Nashville is one of the new franchises so I would imagine he would play a ton early, but would be a guess.

five straight years of Deacs going in the first round of the MLS Superdraft

not a lot to show for it on the field, however

five straight years of Deacs going in the first round of the MLS Superdraft

not a lot to show for it on the field, however

Well...two ACC championships, a College Cup appearance and a college championship game appearance. No NCAA title, but 2015-2019 nobody in the ACC -- toughest conf in the country -- has a better track record than that.

In the ESPN article up right now on the MLS draft it says “West Forest defender Alistair Johnson”. That’s a new one.

Well...two ACC championships, a College Cup appearance and a college championship game appearance. No NCAA title, but 2015-2019 nobody in the ACC -- toughest conf in the country -- has a better track record than that.

meant not much MLS success

Harrison did go #1 and was good enough to get sold to Man City, but he's the only guy since Ike to do anything after being drafted

Parkhurst won a MLS Cup (2018), US Open Cup (2019) and Campeones Cup (2019) with Atlanta United.

Parkhurst won a MLS Cup (2018), US Open Cup (2019) and Campeones Cup (2019) with Atlanta United.

yeah, but he's pre-Ike

Joey Dezart goes #31 to Orlando, who used their #5 overall pick to take Dike out of UVA who killed us in the semifinal

Harrison did go #1 and was good enough to get sold to Man City, but he's the only guy since Ike to do anything after being drafted

I mean, not necessarily tons of star power, but there are guys that get play time in the MLS. Luis Argudo, Jacori Hayes, and Brandon Servania all jump to mind for me, and I would think there's a few more. Only real notable flops I can think of would be Ian Harkes, Kevin Politz, and Sam Raben, and I definitely don't know enough about their legitimate professional prospects to even really call them flops. It's a hard deal to go from college soccer to a real impactful professional player, not many do that.

Harrison is always talked about at Leeds as a transfer target elsewhere--City definitely will get a nice fee for him at some point even though I think the Championship is a great spot for him.

Harkes got a national team callup for a friendly and is playing in Scotland. Argudo will probably feature for Miami.

Harrison is always talked about at Leeds as a transfer target elsewhere--City definitely will get a nice fee for him at some point even though I think the Championship is a great spot for him.

Harkes got a national team callup for a friendly and is playing in Scotland. Argudo will probably feature for Miami.

Did Harkes really get a national team callup? That's cool, I don't remember that. Last I knew he was leaving DC United because he couldn't get much play time.

Probably doesn't get drafted without the move to RB this season.

Did Harkes really get a national team callup? That's cool, I don't remember that. Last I knew he was leaving DC United because he couldn't get much play time.

Now that I look it up, Mark Mckenzie also got a NT callup.

Bakero was drafted #4 and he's in the USL now

Logan Gdula has yet to play an MLS game

Hayes and Serevinia did make it back to Dallas after spending most/all of 2018 on loan to USL teams

Bakero was drafted #4 and he's in the USL now

Logan Gdula has yet to play an MLS game

Hayes and Serevinia did make it back to Dallas after spending most/all of 2018 on loan to USL teams

My question would be, how uncommon is that track record with the draft? Between homegrown contracts and players bypassing college soccer altogether, not to mention internationals, seems like a lot of the better players are never even in the draft.

Also, Hayes has 38 MLS appearances and 10 USLC appearances, not really sure where you are getting that part.

Last edited:
My question would be, how uncommon is that track record with the draft? Between homegrown contracts and players bypassing college soccer altogether, not to mention internationals, seems like a lot of the better players are never even in the draft.

Also, Hayes has 38 MLS appearances and 10 USLC appearances, not really sure where you are getting that part.

guess I got mixed up on Hayes

and I don't think it's uncommon at all, and will become even less common as the MLS elevates itself

Who is the best professional soccer in player (anywhere in the world) who played college soccer in the last 5 years? Seems like most of the elite soccer players are targeted in their mid-teens, and are on professional track from that point on.

Who is the best professional soccer in player (anywhere in the world) who played college soccer in the last 5 years? Seems like most of the elite soccer players are targeted in their mid-teens, and are on professional track from that point on.

probably Jordan Morris

My first instinct says Jordan Morris from Stanford. I think Tim Ream and Zach Steffen both also played in college.

If it isn't Jack Harrison it's gotta be Jordan Morris?

Back