• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alistair Johnston drafted 11th in MLS Draft

The Generation Adidas setup is kind of meant to address this situation in the US where we're not up to the academy standards of Europe, our best kids still tend to go to high school and college at least for a while. Gen Adidas does a decent enough job finding these kinds of talents. That fucker Daryl Dike who scored the rocket against us this year is 2020 Gen Adidas.

Just looked up Jordan Morris's wiki page and found this passage:

On August 28, 2014, Morris received his first senior call up to the U.S. men's national team for a friendly against the Czech Republic, making him the first college player to be called into squad since Chris Albright was called up in 1999 while he was still playing at the University of Virginia.[31][32] While he was left on the bench, he would make his international debut in a 4–1 defeat to Ireland in November.[

If that statement is accurate, no US college player played on the USMNT for 15 years from 1999 until 2014. If true (this is wiki), confirms the point that its very rare for top-level players (if USMNT is even considered elite) to have any college background.

My first instinct says Jordan Morris from Stanford. I think Tim Ream and Zach Steffen both also played in college.

yep

other USMNT players include: Reggie Cannon, Aaron Long, Sean Johnson, Nick Lima, DeAndre Yedlin, Cristian Roldan, Zardes, Walker Zimmerman

Just looked up Jordan Morris's wiki page and found this passage:

On August 28, 2014, Morris received his first senior call up to the U.S. men's national team for a friendly against the Czech Republic, making him the first college player to be called into squad since Chris Albright was called up in 1999 while he was still playing at the University of Virginia.[31][32] While he was left on the bench, he would make his international debut in a 4–1 defeat to Ireland in November.[

If that statement is accurate, no US college player played on the USMNT for 15 years from 1999 until 2014. If true (this is wiki), confirms the point that its very rare for top-level players (if USMNT is even considered elite) to have any college background.

this is just saying while they were in college

I mean, Clint Dempsey is arguably the best US player ever and he played at Furman

separate, but related, the MLS has the most confusing and convoluted roster construction rules you can imagine

flowchart-4.png

Harrison is always talked about at Leeds as a transfer target elsewhere--City definitely will get a nice fee for him at some point even though I think the Championship is a great spot for him.

Harkes got a national team callup for a friendly and is playing in Scotland. Argudo will probably feature for Miami.

He's been great for Leeds at times but inconsistent. City had originally put a very optimistic $20M valuation on him (they only paid a reported $4.56M) and they've told Leeds they'd let him go for $8M if they wanted him during the summer transfer window - I'm assuming they'd take quite a bit less.

He's getting quality experience under Bielsa and at a really good level of competition. If he ends up back in MLS or at a lesser European league, I think he'll still be a solid contributor for years.

yep

other USMNT players include: Reggie Cannon, Aaron Long, Sean Johnson, Nick Lima, DeAndre Yedlin, Cristian Roldan, Zardes, Walker Zimmerman

I did some searching and found the chart (below) from Nov 2019. To Pilch's point, last 5 years from college there hasn't been much. All the top young US players go the pro route right away.

Harrison is up there with the most-impactful, most-recent college players to go pro if Leeds manages to get promoted after this season, along with Steffen and Morris, and then Yedlin a couple years before them.

Screen_Shot_2018_11_03_at_2.17.53_PM.png

chart seems incomplete since it's missing most of the guys I listed

but yeah, college soccer seems to be heading toward college tennis in that regard

And this will likely be the 3rd or 4th year in a row where one of our top commits has opted to go pro instead of coming to Wake. I blame Brek Shea.

I would guess he gets drafted in the 3rd of 4th round next week and goes on to a USL career in the short term

Another two rounds on Monday, which I assume we will see his named called. I don't think he has dual citizenship, so I think that hurt his stock a bit.

Lapa not drafted

11 out of 26 teams in the 3rd round passed on making a pick; 15 out of 26 in the 4th

Considering where he was drafted he may have jumped anyway, but Shea was never going to make it to campus, unfortunately. He would have destroyed college ball, it’s a bummer.

And this will likely be the 3rd or 4th year in a row where one of our top commits has opted to go pro instead of coming to Wake. I blame Brek Shea.

Back