• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

That’s right, and Hatch has to have his end of year review with the Board, and each Board member has to end of year review the guy to his left, and it goes in and on. Manning’s review may not be scheduled till about November.

I’m all in on my position that Manning is not getting fired until he and Currie meet face to face for an end of season review. 100% certain that is how this will happen.

The rest of you are free to carry on with the belief that Currie will leave a sticky note on Manning’s computer screen letting him know he’s been fired.

I’m all in on my position that Manning is not getting fired until he and Currie meet face to face for an end of season review. 100% certain that is how this will happen.

The rest of you are free to carry on with the belief that Currie will leave a sticky note on Manning’s computer screen letting him know he’s been fired.

I’ll go a step further and say they won’t fire Manning until the players are there in person so Danny can say his goodbyes. I don’t think sending an email or a text that their coach has been fired is appropriate. Maybe I’m wrong. I also don’t know if some of them will be coming by campus any time soon. Pretty sure campus is open for students to gather some things they may need.

So, backing off those "legal reasons", and even "just the way it's done in this world" and falling back to feelings now? Got it.

Literally no one has suggested it will be done with a sticky note, but at least you demolished that straw man!

So they're in buyout negotiations, which they could complete any day now, but the actual firing decision will wait weeks or months for both end-of-season reviews and players returning to campus. What exactly can be gained by interviewing a suspect after he's been executed?

Can we lock this thread once Danny gets fired? I’m cool with it until then, but it seems like we have enough threads that are ready to discuss Danny being fired without saying fuck you to the guy that fired him.

So they're in buyout negotiations, which they could complete any day now, but the actual firing decision will wait weeks or months for both end-of-season reviews and players returning to campus. What exactly can be gained by interviewing a suspect after he's been executed?
It almost feels like some on this thread don't understand that this stuff is worked out ahead of time via lawyers and email. It's not the late 80's anymore...the way AD's operate has changed, even if Wellman was stuck there. The insistence that Currie still needs to formally review the year and explain why he's letting Manning go AFTER they've negotiated for days and come to terms is just a weird hill to die on.

So, backing off those "legal reasons", and even "just the way it's done in this world" and falling back to feelings now? Got it.

Literally no one has suggested it will be done with a sticky note, but at least you demolished that straw man!

Not backing off at all. A firing of someone making millions per year is done in person. Period. One of the reasons it’s done in person is due to the complexities and legal ramifications of terminating such a contract. Yes, that’s “jus the way it’s don’t in this world”. I’m perplexed why that’s so hard for you to comprehend.

Clearly I should have clarified that my sticky note comment was sarcasm. It was directed towards you and others who want to scrap what I’m sure is a well defined plan because you want him fired yesterday. We all want him fired yesterday. I was simply making the point that there’s a process here that takes time and they’re not going to change the process or the timeline because circumstances allow. They’re sticking to their plan.

Can we lock this thread once Danny gets fired? I’m cool with it until then, but it seems like we have enough threads that are ready to discuss Danny being fired without saying fuck you to the guy that fired him.

I’m down with a change to “Thank you John Currie” title change ONCE we have a reasonable new coach in place.

Not backing off at all. A firing of someone making millions per year is done in person. Period. One of the reasons it’s done in person is due to the complexities and legal ramifications of terminating such a contract. Yes, that’s “jus the way it’s don’t in this world”. I’m perplexed why that’s so hard for you to comprehend.

Clearly I should have clarified that my sticky note comment was sarcasm. It was directed towards you and others who want to scrap what I’m sure is a well defined plan because you want him fired yesterday. We all want him fired yesterday. I was simply making the point that there’s a process here that takes time and they’re not going to change the process or the timeline because circumstances allow. They’re sticking to their plan.

You're not saying there's a stated process in termination clauses in major contracts are you? :)

Guys, you can't just argue with Bob like that. You guys are just randos on a sports message board.

Bob has a seat at the table and has had a great part in all of the decisions made the past 10 years.

He is one of the main reasons we have had BZ and Manning so don't think you can just argue with an insider like that.

He has a seat at the table!

He was the original “seat at the table” poster? That explains some things.

Thanks for Bz and Danny! Their plan is working so well!

He was the original “seat at the table” poster? That explains some things.

Actually no. That wasn’t me. And I don’t have a seat at the table. Just common sense.

But I’m not as smart as Racer, knowell, and others who clearly have all the answers.

But I’m not as smart as Racer, knowell, and others who clearly have all the answers.

Bobby, you're the one claiming to have the answer here. Well, you and RJ.

Actually no. That wasn’t me. And I don’t have a seat at the table. Just common sense.

Your "common" sense is stuck in the year you graduated. It's not the way the world works anymore. There's no scenario where Wake started negotiating his firing days ago, yet still needs to sit Manning down formally for a proper year-end review before he can leave. The season's expectations would have been communicated before the season began. If there was a need to formally explain that he didn't meet them, it would be documented for the record and delivered via email/paper. There MAY have been a meeting between Currie and Manning to deliver that news, but it would have been before you start negotiating terms, and it wouldn't have been any sort of drawn out year-end review. You don't negotiate a firing and then have a sit down later to explain why you did it.

I'm not sure why you're so hung up on this timing as an excuse for why Manning is still employed. We don't know why he's still employed, but it's certainly not because Currie is too busy to get his year-end review completed.

Last edited:
You know what, let's settle this. Let's both put $15K in a pot. If I can produce a Myspace message from Currie saying you're wrong, I win. If I can't, we take our money back and I'll say you were right.

Is a year end review required to conclude with a handshake? If so, we're screwed. This’ll never get done.

Yep. I heard that's the hang up. Manning is claiming to have Covid. Says he isn't allowed to be around anyone for a couple weeks. He can't sign the exit agreement nor shake on it. We are screwed until April. His lawyers are claiming that taller individuals have a much longer period of viral shedding. We countered with recommending a 5-year sick leave. We are currently waiting on a revised house bill to see if that will be covered or we are off the hook. We won't know anything about Manning's fate until Trump signs off.

Last edited:

So a typical annual review consists of of "let's discuss the goals we set last year, your progress over the last year, where we are with goals we established last year, where your strengths and weaknesses lie, and what your opportunities for growth are. And of course, as your manager, how I can better help you achieve those goals, along with any training opportunities to help you achieve those goals. Lastly, I'll ask, "where do you see yourself in 5 years?".
None of that will take place; however, I do expect Currie to (if he has not already done so) tell Manning that while his efforts are much appreciated and we have experienced growth in "XYZ" (he'll come up with something) , we've not seen the progress in terms of wins and losses and "as AD I've decided to make a change". To think an actual performance review will take place when Manning knows he's a dead man walking is ludicrous.
".

Back