• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Any small business attorneys out there? Have some questions about starting a business

Yeah Quickbooks is plenty flexibile and advanced enough for your needs, and I can't imagine you actually saving time/money not using quickbooks or gusto for payroll and instead filing quarterly reports yourself. Basic payroll for QB is like $20/month. I'd have your CPA prepare your K-1

I’m planning on doing both a cash balance plan and individual 401(k). I already have someone to administer these, but I need a way to track the contributions and the resultant tax implications. Is that something Quickbooks can handle? I’ve also heard it’s notorious for messing up W2s.

Agree - S corp is good if the goal is to avoid SE tax on profits but your corporate return should be prepped by a CPA.

We have used SurePayroll for close to 20 years. It is all online, pretty cheap (a few hundred dollars a year), and handles all of the employment tax filings, W2s, and retirement contributions. It gives a summary statement that you can pull down at any point for the tax year and you just plug the numbers into TurboTax for the S-corp return.

Make sure you are clear with your CPA as to whether you have an intent to grow and sell your business vs. your intent is to run a lifestyle business with an exit as a secondary thought before checking the s-corp box. QSB treatment can be a huge differential on an exit and you will lose that ability if you check the box.

Just know that it’s significantly more expensive to defend something after the fact than it is to get the work done correctly on the front end.

Back