• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Apt. Recommendations in Atlanta

There is no sure thing about "going against traffic" on I-75. If the perimeter backs up, you could be sitting there regardless.

I lived near Kennesaw and worked in midtown. That's a long commute even when traffic wasn't bad. However, I can understand trading that for better weekend life in midtown or vinings. If you do that, minimize time on surface streets and stick close to I-75.

I will preface this by saying I am a total ITP snob, but why would you live in Kennesaw if you worked in Midtown?

For the OP, unless you live in Kennesaw or Marietta you are going to have a shitty commute. Since it is going to be shitty one way or the other, in my early 20s (and still in my early 30s, but I have only worked in Midtown and Downtown) I would rather live somewhere fun and deal with a slightly more shitty commute. I second TAB's recommendations for Midtown, Virginia Highlands, and Inman Park, but I kind of hate Buckhead. I do think you may have trouble finding a place in your budget in those areas. I think my 2 bed/2 bath in Midtown when I first moved to Atlanta was around $1700/month. You may have better luck trying to find someone renting a condo in the Highlands than with a complex. Westside might be cheaper too and it is up there on places I like to hangout.

I live in Lindbergh and like it; I'm paying around $1100/mo for my place, but the complex has studios and smaller 1BRs (700 sq ft) available that are cheaper (I'm in an 850 sq ft 1BR). Can walk to Marta and Midtown/Buckhead are both a 5-10 minute drive away, North Druid Hills and the Highlands are only 10-15 minutes away, so reasonably central to everything. A couple of bars and chain restaurants in the area too, which is somewhat convenient (nowhere near the selection as Midtown though). It'd be a bit of a hassle to get up to Kennesaw though - a friend lives up in Smyrna and says it takes him a good 20-25 minutes, and Kennesaw is quite a bit further.

Said friend is moving up to the Dunwoody area in a few months; there's quite a bit to do there, on Marta if you don't want to drive to Midtown, not a bad suburban area.

Well I am coming to realize that I probably need to bring the budget up to more like $1200-1300 to find a nice sized place in a good area. The office is right on the Kennesaw/Marietta border so its not too far away. Google maps says about 26 minutes to the office from the Midtown area. I had a 30 minute commute to school in high school so it's not a big deal for me.

Well I am coming to realize that I probably need to bring the budget up to more like $1200-1300 to find a nice sized place in a good area. The office is right on the Kennesaw/Marietta border so its not too far away. Google maps says about 26 minutes to the office from the Midtown area. I had a 30 minute commute to school in high school so it's not a big deal for me.

Really depends on where you look. As a 27 year old guy, 850 square feet is more than enough space for me; I would have preferred the 700 sq ft option had it been available (my previous apartment in Scottsdale was 700 sq ft and was plenty of space).

The further you move from Midtown, costs go down quite a bit. I know a lot of the 700-900 sq ft 1BRs in my neighborhood at the nicer properties are in the $950-$1150 range. As I said, I'm paying $1100 and have hardwood floors, granite countertops, washer/dryer hookups, walk in closet.

Virginia Highlands or Inman Park. Still close to Midtown but without the high rates or higher crime. I've lived in the VH for two years and loved it, but if I was staying was looking at a place in Inman Park. Your commute is going to suck no matter what so pick your neighborhood. In my opinion, don't do Buckhead. After going the first few months I was here, I don't think I've been out over there in a year and a half. Also, Decatur is cheaper and also cool if you like a smaller feel, but still want to get into the city easily. Just want to reinforce not to worry about the commute, because it's going to suck.

Decatur? Really?

Agree on this totally. Do not listen to Dixieboy here. VH and IP are going to add thirty minutes to your commute at minimum. And Dickhater (decatur) should not be on your radar. Block that from your mind.

Bottom line is Midtown is the best for young, fast paced living. It is the most expensive and a bit further drive. Buckhead gets no love, but if you live close to 75N, you will be very central and cheaper than midtown. Vinings is the least sexy but closest to your work. I would really not consider any other options if I were you. Def do not live in Kennesaw unless you do not drink.

Dickhater is great if you can ride Marta to work.

There's plenty for young folks up in the Vinings nowadays. Plus Old Vinings Inn is prob in my top 5 Atlanta bars.

Sorry for the Decatur reference! Haha. And btw, I live in a 980 sq ft place in a relatively new complex and I pay 977 a month in the Highlands.

The hoods mentioned all have different personalities, so if you arent familiar with the A, go check them all out and look at maybe one APT in each.

If you have a bunch of fratty UGA/Auburn/Bama HS buddies that are still rocking croakies, then live in bhead. If you are a young professional that doesnt really have any ties to the city except the new job, midtown and west midtown are full of people like that who are all looking to make new friends. If you are more of a crunchy hipster/hippie/gutterpunk type, then Va-Hi or Inman might be more your speed.

When I got out of school I took a temp job in freaking Alpharetta while I was waiting on my bar results. I was living in midtown. I made a 45 min commute every day, but it was means to an end, and gave me enough ca$hish to stay in the city and look for a better gig intown.

Last edited:
Moon, you effing geed.

02-croakie-close-up-619_large_large.jpg

Young and dumb: ITP

Older, wiser, and uninterested in crime and sirens: OTP

It's definitely worth looking at craigslist and some realtors for condos being rented. I got a 1/1 at Art Foundry in Atlantic Station for $950, while shittier 1/1 apartments across the street were going for $1200.

I can promise that I will never live OTP. Ever.

To each his own, but just out of curiosity, why? And I'm very obviously not talking areas like Clayton, Douglasville, Conyers, Cartersville, etc.

Back