• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Are Wake and Manning A Good Fit?

I used to feel sorry for Dino. However, it was very petty and low of him to trash the Wake job while it was open. No reason to do that. He could have trashed Wellman specifically (or the administration), but he mentioned that the job itself was not that good. Wake Forest and its alumni have made him a pretty wealthy guy, so he should have just kept his damn mouth shut.

It is hard to imagine that he was doing anything other than trying to sabotage our coaching search.

I never heard anything about Dino trashing the Wake job. I agree that the "Dino hasn't gotten another job" argument doesn't mean *** when you realize that neither has Gruden or Cowher but nobody attacks their integrity. What did Dino say about the Wake job? Anything that wasn't true?

I used to feel sorry for Dino. However, it was very petty and low of him to trash the Wake job while it was open. No reason to do that. He could have trashed Wellman specifically (or the administration), but he mentioned that the job itself was not that good. Wake Forest and its alumni have made him a pretty wealthy guy, so he should have just kept his damn mouth shut.

It is hard to imagine that he was doing anything other than trying to sabotage our coaching search.

Dino must still have "issues." The word I hear is that when he went in for his meeting with RW, after losing to Cleveland State, he actually thought he was going to get a raise and contract extension.

I never heard anything about Dino trashing the Wake job. I agree that the "Dino hasn't gotten another job" argument doesn't mean *** when you realize that neither has Gruden or Cowher but nobody attacks their integrity. What did Dino say about the Wake job? Anything that wasn't true?

IIRC he went on the radio (Dave Glenn?) during the time we were conducting our coaching search and called the Wake job "the 13th or 14th" best job in the ACC or something like that.

I don't think there's ever been an allegation that they were in any way dirty. Skip seems to have had the ability to keep the knotheads he recruited in line - make sure they go to class, don't go the the N club or whatever, and don't get themselves in the newspapers and national TV for men's room BJs. Dino was the "nice guy" assistant who, as head coach, retained his "nice guy" persona with the team and they began doing all the things Skip was apparently able to keep them from doing. Dino, on the other hand, either couldn't or wouldn't exercise control and things got out of hand and the university had to try to hush some things up (which didn't work out too well) so off the court we had players frequenting unsavory places and not frequenting class and on the court we had one player who went into a sulk on court when Ish Smith returned to play pg and another who only intermittently played up to his ability. Then, there were players who had other off the court issues which ultimately led to their transfer and we all know how that played out. I think frankly that had Skip lived things would have turned out much differently. Anybody who says Skip and/or Dino was "dirty" is wrong, but Dino simply could not control things. I do not think we will see him in a head coaching job anytime in the future, and it isn't because he's living so well off any payout we gave him. Now, don't take this to say I think the [Redacted] hire was a good one, a better coach could probably have accomplished the clean up just as well and managed a few more wins in the process. But Dino's team had problems he wasn't addressing or wasn't addressing well.

So, all of this is speculation, right? How about we let this shit die with [name redacted], ok?

I don't think I could say Dino "trashed" the job. To him, what he said was "defending himself and his players" from the statements in the press that had begun to surface about the state of the program on the inside, and statments from university officials (fill in the blanks) to the effect that the program needed to be "cleaned up" (an unfortunate term since to some it implies that something "dirty" or against the rules was going on, which isn't true). Dino's feeling, which is not unique to him, was that except for the Cleveland State debacle he had produced a winning basketball team and that's all that mattered. Frankly, I think the final "blow" for Dino was the Gary Clark/Jeff Teague incident in the men's room in Miami, which was well known within the administration and, when coupled with the other issues, led to his dismissal. All of us, at some time or other, have been critical of other schools when they tolerate those kinds of things so I don't think we can fairly argue that they should be overlooked in our own case. The difference between Dino and Gurden and Cowher is that the latter two have been offered jobs, or at least have been mentioned in connection with job openings, while the same is not true of Dino.

Dino must still have "issues." The word I hear is that when he went in for his meeting with RW, after losing to Cleveland State, he actually thought he was going to get a raise and contract extension.

So, more speculation? Great. This is some cowardly shit, just fyi.

I believe Dino was talking about the past when he said that.

I didn't hear the interview but it sounded like Dino said both that (i) the Wake job was 8th or 9th in the "old" ACC, as well as (ii) 13th - 15th in the "new" ACC, though hopefully someone who actually heard the interview can clarify.

Maybe I'm missing the joke here. He did get a contract extension after Cleveland State. It was seven months later but he did get it.

So, all of this is speculation, right? How about we let this shit die with [name redacted], ok?

Not speculation at all. The sexual escapade involving Clark and Teague is a matter of record as is class attendance and performance issues for Johnson and a couple of others. Also, the problems the two transfers had didn't just start when they showed up at Southern Cal. Anybody who watched the difference in Teague's play when Ish returned knows what I'm talking about. This is about Dino, not [Redacted].

Not speculation at all. The sexual escapade involving Clark and Teague is a matter of record as is class attendance and performance issues for Johnson and a couple of others. Also, the problems the two transfers had didn't just start when they showed up at Southern Cal. Anybody who watched the difference in Teague's play when Ish returned knows what I'm talking about. This is about Dino, not [Redacted].

Okay, so it's just speculation. Got it.

No need to rehash your density on Clark (who [name redacted] allowed to come back and named team captain) and Teague (whose "issues" haven't gotten in the way of a successful NBA career). Or JTT, who Dino never coached (oops). Or Ari, who transferred under [name redacted], and had no publicized issued under Dino. Or the anonymous couple of others, who you don't actually know anything about.

Can we let this shit die already, please?

I still have reservations about the hire. it's hard not to since we lost out on Shaka. But the way I look at it is would I have been happy with this hire had he come in after Dino, and I think that I would be satisfied with it. Not blown away, but satisfied. I have no idea if he's a good fit or not. That remains to be seen. But I do like his personality. It is apparent when he talks about basketball, that he has the mind for it and that he analyses the games pretty well in his mind. He takes keen mental notes just judging from some things he has said. I don't like the way so much stuff leaked out when this process was going on and I doubt Wellman was behind it. I guess we shall see if that is indicative of some larger flaw in coach's personality.

Indications that Manning wanted Tulsa to lower some academic requirements which under Hatch's watch isn't going to happen at Wake. Also, Clawson went on and on how Wake's elite academic status is helpful and not hurtful when it comes to recruiting. Manning made a couple of passing remarks on this point but not to the degree Clawson did. You can just tell that Clawson gets it.
Gets what? Clawson is just saying he thinks he can recruit talented players given the academic standards, talented enough to win games, basically be bowl eligible often, and meet Wake expectations. Basketball is a different situation. The expectations are higher and bball has greater competition to get there. Plus basketball is a sport where one player can make an enormous difference, unlike football, so missing on great players in bball can hurt not only because you do not get the talent, the competition gets him. In that regard, bball recruiting at Wake is much harder. I wouldn't read much else into any of those statements.

They both "get Wake". That's actually what impressed me the most. Manning understands the history and has had a high regard for Wake's program since he was a kid....which is similar to Clawson's statements. I don't remember having a coach in EITHER sport having idolized Wake sports programs as kids as these two.

What Wild Bill says is all true. Just ask any faculty or student on campus the past five years. I would guess Wild Bill is "very close" to campus in some way. Anyone that says it's just "speculation" is naive about what really went on during those years.

Back