• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

are younger generation wake fans smarter than older?

Maybe. But as an older grad, I'll say that there were plenty of smart people back in the day that I'm sure would thrive at Wake today. And some that barely get through Wake today that would've probably similarly struggled back then. Wake has been an excellent school for a long time, I'm pretty sure.

Anyhow, I agree that it's more of an age thing than an intelligence thing wrt not eagerly jumping on the I Hate Bzz Bandwagon...assuming there is a generational effect. Some of us (I think) have tended to grow somewhat more humble and less cocksure with age. You might realize over time that your gifts and talents don't guarantee any particular or certain success. Or that it's harder than you thought to do stuff, especially if the stuff you're trying to do involves coordinating the efforts of other people. Much easier to just take care of your own stuff (though even that, you might realize, isn't as easy as you once thought). Or that you were wrong about a heck of a lot more than you ever imagined was possible. Etc. Do people in some way(s) mature past the age of 20 or 25 or 30? If so, maybe this "maturing" has some effect on how one views many things...?

I don't really know...just my quick two cents...I've no interest to discourage high hopes and expectations. Or idealism. Necessarily.

I noticed some comments about how older wake fans havent't switched fully to #Buzzout movement. Is this bc they are more conservative or is it because they're dumber?
Please explain.

I consider old fans to be over 45

i'm not old yet.

DwightFistPump.gif

As an older fan I assume that the original poster is younger. I think I can answer this question if you can answer one for me. Do you think Dino is a quality college basketball head coach? I'm not asking if he is better than Buzz, that answer is obvious. Is Dino a quality college basketball head coach?

No. I graduated in '07

I would say older fans are not dumber but do remember other down times and are more patient. I also think that being patient does not mean we will wait forever for the boat to be righted.

Maybe. But as an older grad, I'll say that there were plenty of smart people back in the day that I'm sure would thrive at Wake today. And some that barely get through Wake today that would've probably similarly struggled back then. Wake has been an excellent school for a long time, I'm pretty sure.

Anyhow, I agree that it's more of an age thing than an intelligence thing wrt not eagerly jumping on the I Hate Bzz Bandwagon...assuming there is a generational effect. Some of us (I think) have tended to grow somewhat more humble and less cocksure with age. You might realize over time that your gifts and talents don't guarantee any particular or certain success. Or that it's harder than you thought to do stuff, especially if the stuff you're trying to do involves coordinating the efforts of other people. Much easier to just take care of your own stuff (though even that, you might realize, isn't as easy as you once thought). Or that you were wrong about a heck of a lot more than you ever imagined was possible. Etc. Do people in some way(s) mature past the age of 20 or 25 or 30? If so, maybe this "maturing" has some effect on how one views many things...?

I don't really know...just my quick two cents...I've no interest to discourage high hopes and expectations. Or idealism. Necessarily.

This.

I understand patience, but are some people just "patient" with anyone? [Redacted] is an old (relatively) journeyman coach being payed a million dollars a year, who hasn't recruited anyone or won anywhere in 6 or 7 years. He doesn't deserve any more patience. I think this "patience" is really just camouflage for fear, apathy, and timidness.

No, because older Wake fans understand our sports destiny after many more years of experience.

Back