• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: Anyone Been to Copenhagen?

PhilliesDeacs

Reaction score
Heading there next weekend for a quick stopover after a work conference. Anyone have any suggestions for things to see/do? I'm staying in the Norrebro area.

I spent some time there while playing soccer in Brondby.

Some things I remember being fun:

Tivoli Gardens
Stroget
Red Light District was worth a walk-through
Museum Erotica

I honestly can't remember any of the restaurants or bars. They're open until some ungodly hour, so you probably won't remember them either. I would suggest cruising Stroget mostly. There are a bunch of churches and museums nearby. The National Museum was really interesting, but I missed the trip to the NY Carlsberg (?). Everyone is really friendly, so just wander around and ask people.

If you get a chance to take a boat tour, I would do it. Also, sit outside a cafe and watch the world go by with a beer or a coffee (depending on the time of day). Order seafood/cheese. Rent a bike if the weather is decent, it won't be light very long at this time of year. Drink a fuglsang blackbird for me. If you buy some Tom's Skilpadder (rum chocolates) and bring them back and mail them to me I will paypal you way more than a person should for candy.

I was supposed to go there for a week in May, but plans have chamged. Bummed. But Moon is right, the restaurant scene is blowing up there. 2 of the top 3 restaurants in the world are there, and a bunch of other people riding that wave.

Yeah, be prepared for the natives to speak English with less of an accent that you (if you have an accent that is).

Tivoli Gardens is worth a visit as is the National Museum.
There is a pretty interesting museum on the Danish resistance that I enjoyed.
One of my favorite things (granted I was there in the summer) was just walking along the water fronts near where I lived (I lived about a 5 minute walk from the Little Mermaid Statue).
There is a really cool trip you take up to an old viking village that was, by far, one of my favorite trips I took.

PM me to remind me to look up the restaurants I liked.

How did I not know this? Taler du dansk?

Nope. German I can do though. I worked at the US embassy.

I have to say, as an English and German speaker (and at the time my German was really good) I notice two things:
Signs were easy to figure out
The language drove my ears crazy because my brain kept trying to understand people.

Last edited:
I might add, Tivoli might not be open. I can't remember if everything is closed during the winter or just parts.

Boat tour is a great rec as well.

Yeah I keep thinking of awesome things to do and then I remember it is January.

I third the boat tour idea, but again, it is January.

Nope. German I can do though. I worked at the US embassy.

damn. It's hard to find someone to practice my Danish with. We lived super close to the German border and found that the German people were wayyyy less willing to speak English than the Danes even though the signage in DK is all in Danish and the signage in Germany is bilingual. Basically the Germans were jerks and Danes are beyond awesome. ;)

damn. It's hard to find someone to practice my Danish with. We lived super close to the German border and found that the German people were wayyyy less willing to speak English than the Danes even though the signage in DK is all in Danish and the signage in Germany is bilingual. Basically the Germans were jerks and Danes are beyond awesome. ;)

A lot of that has to do with the fact that Germans don't speak English nearly as well as the Danes. There are WAY more Germans with shitty English than Danes. I think that is, at least in part, due to the fact the German television industry dubs more shows than any other country in the world (I think, I know they at least used to), while almost all of the shows in Denmark were just subtitled.

I like the pouches, esp the new Wintergreen

You should teach E some Danish.

Don't encourage her. (That goes for this whole thread).

You should probably learn it too. In fact, I think Chic should make a rule that you guys only speak Danish every other week. It'll be good for you. Make you more worldly, like your brother.

Back