• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: California Beach Town

Went for a swim in ocean yesterday. Radical was great! Brisk but not cold. Very pleasant. Suckas!

No matter where you go, the water will be quite cold.

Avila Beach is really nice. However, you'll be driving 150-200 in each direction from LA or SF. It's basically in the middle. It's a pretty drive but a long one from either place.

Dana Point is very quiet. You might be still be able to do a whale watching trip. There are some very nice beaches and eateries there and in Laguna Beach (15 minute drive). Dana Point borders San Clemente and Laguna. You can get all three there. There are lots of good restaurants there.

If you do Dana Point/San Clemente. you can hop an Amtrak double-decker train and be in Solana Beach in about 45 minutes on a trip all along the ocean for a scenic ride. You'd fly into John Wayne for any of these places.

Solana Beach is a tiny,tiny beach town. It's where Del Mar racetrack is. Fly into SD for Solana Beach. The "downtown" has a number of shops and restaurants. The Pamplemousse is high end and excellent. You might need to call ahead for a reservation. A little north on PCH is a family, storefront Mexican place that has 100s of kinds of tequila and amazing, homemade salsa. Believe them when they say hot. You are about equi-distance from SD and LaJolla without the tourists and traffic. Again, if want to see. San Clemente, you take a short, pretty train ride up and have a fish lunch on the pier which is right at the train station.

Encinitas is the next town north of Solana Beach. I think that's where the Mexican place is. If you are driving north on PCH, it will be in a strip center on your right. I forget the name. Probably because of all the tequila.

$20 please

I grew up in Solana Beach, currently live in South Orange County, and have vacationed quite a bit in the central coast so think I can give some decent input.

Solana Beach is probably a little too small/sleepy but Encinitas definitely hits your key points. It's not touristy at all, has some great seafood and other neat bars/shops. Cardiff right next door has lots of cool little bars, shops, and coffee places. I think San Diego is just a great place to visit all around.

I would recommend Manhattan Beach over the OC places you have listed since you are trying to avoid touristy. San Clemente would be my OC recommendation, it's got a nice little downtown, great seafood place on the pier, and just a super relaxed vibe.

I love love the central coast but it is a long drive from any airport. We always stay in Pismo Beach but I've heard Avila Beach is nice too. It's beautiful, the beaches are so uncrowded, fantastic seafood, and if you like wine Paso Robles isn't a far drive.

Feel free to message me if you need more details!

We spent a few days at Terrenea in December (which is great, but not what you're looking for) and on our way back to LAX we killed most of a day in Manhattan Beach - loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, the wife and I have settled on the Carlsbad, Encinitas, and Solona Beach area. Not sure which town yet (probably Encinitas), but I would love any restaurant (especially good, pretentious or not, seafood) recommendations for the area. Thanks, thus far, to all whom have shared and helped my wife and me find dope lampin in the cut spots.

Last edited:
Surprised Manhattan Beach got so many mentions but no Hermosa. Hermosa may be my favorite LA beach town.

Alright, the wife and I have settled on the Carlsbad, Encinitas, and Solona Beach area. Not sure which town yet (probably Encinitas), but I would love any restaurant (especially good, pretentious or not, seafood) recommendations for the area. Thanks, thus far, to all whom have shared and helped my wife and me find dope lampin in the cut spots.

I'm going to be really interested to hear about your trip, because I may just copy whatever you do...

Saw a p badass concert in Hermosa when I was at Manhattan just short uber and shared with a hot chick!

Pacific Coast Grill is really good and great views.

Brigantine is very good.

The Fish Market and Jake's are always good.

And of course the Coaster is not running the weekend we are planning to be out there...fuckin lame

That's weird....did you look up AMTRAK or the local train?

Last edited:
I looked up the schedule. You wouldn't have been able to do much even if it was running. They only had two trains going north from Solana Beach. Both were late in the day.

No matter where you go, the water will be quite cold.

Avila Beach is really nice. However, you'll be driving 150-200 in each direction from LA or SF. It's basically in the middle. It's a pretty drive but a long one from either place.

Dana Point is very quiet. You might be still be able to do a whale watching trip. There are some very nice beaches and eateries there and in Laguna Beach (15 minute drive). Dana Point borders San Clemente and Laguna. You can get all three there. There are lots of good restaurants there.

If you do Dana Point/San Clemente. you can hop an Amtrak double-decker train and be in Solana Beach in about 45 minutes on a trip all along the ocean for a scenic ride. You'd fly into John Wayne for any of these places.

Solana Beach is a tiny,tiny beach town. It's where Del Mar racetrack is. Fly into SD for Solana Beach. The "downtown" has a number of shops and restaurants. The Pamplemousse is high end and excellent. You might need to call ahead for a reservation. A little north on PCH is a family, storefront Mexican place that has 100s of kinds of tequila and amazing, homemade salsa. Believe them when they say hot. You are about equi-distance from SD and LaJolla without the tourists and traffic. Again, if want to see. San Clemente, you take a short, pretty train ride up and have a fish lunch on the pier which is right at the train station.

Encinitas is the next town north of Solana Beach. I think that's where the Mexican place is. If you are driving north on PCH, it will be in a strip center on your right. I forget the name. Probably because of all the tequila.

Solid choices. Be wary of "May gray, June gloom' overcast conditions when making beach decisions too.

Encinitas and Imperial Beach. If you don't mind tourists, go to Pacific Beach, Mission Beach, and Ocean Beach. A little farther south and you'll be in Imperial Beach.

The sunset from Pacific Beach was pretty nice tonight.

bd71448a6e5d2f3b2da22bd1bdf5ccc3.jpg

I would also second Cardiff. Fun little area if you just want a couple days on the beach. And not too bad of a drive into SD.

Pacific Coast Grill is really good and great views.

Brigantine is very good.

The Fish Market and Jake's are always good.

Agree with all of these recommendations especially for seafood. Pacific Coast Grill and Jake's have the best views. Brigantine has super good fish tacos.

Pizza port in Solana Beach is good for pizza and they brew their own excellent beers. My favorite breakfast spot in SB is Beach Grass Cafe, no view but is walking distance from the beach. There are tons of other good eats and drinks along 101 through Encinitas and Cardiff.

I like Seaside State Beach for chilling, walking, tide pooling. It's free to park along the street or pay to park in the lots but it's about as easy access as you can get. Park and a few steps to be on the beach. Pacific Coast Grill is right there or you can walk across the street to Las Olas if you want Mexican food. Great Mexican food is of course plentiful but our family favorite for cheap is Robertos right off the 101 as you head into SB from Encinitas.

Bummer about the trains not running. They have been shut down a bunch of weekends for track work so that may be what's up.

Cali, what's the name of the Mexican place in or really near Encinitas on PCH that has 100s of kinds of tequilas?

We spent MLK weekend at Avila this year. Great beach town, but as others have said, hard to get to.

camped in pismo for a night over tgiving this year. daytona beach of cali with necks in lifted trucks driving on the beach. we spent a day at avila beach and really liked it. did i miss a santa barbara mention?

Back