• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ATP: California Beach Town

camped in pismo for a night over tgiving this year. daytona beach of cali with necks in lifted trucks driving on the beach. we spent a day at avila beach and really liked it. did i miss a santa barbara mention?

This. Pismo and Avila are 10 minute apart in miles, but might as well be 2 different planets.

Booked a joint in Leucadia right by Fish101 which looks super dope. Doing flights tomorrow and will be navigating point transfer process for the first time. Really bummed the Coaster is down, so we will just eat it and rent a car.

Last edited:
Check out Fox Rent-A-Car (it'll be Fox something). If they have stores in SD, they are often much cheaper than other car places. Also Enterprise often has weekend deals, it may be cheaper to drop it off earlier than you rent it for rather than paying a daily rate.

Coming into SD, you will be landing over the ocean until the runway. hope you aren't squeamish. :)

It's better than taking off form John Wayne. You go up at almost a 90 degree angle there.

Looking to take a quick jaunt for a relaxing long weekend with the disclady for her birthday at the end of April. So far I have looked at spots through Airbnb in these locations:

1. Avila Beach
  2. Dana Point
  3. Imperial Beach
  4. Oxnard
  5. La Jolla
  6. Manhattan Beach
  7. San Clemente
  8. Laguna Beach
  9. Solana Beach
  10. Encinitas

Really top desires are:
  1. Not Resortish or Touristy (I know some on this list may check this, so help me weed them out)
  2. Bomb seafood (landlocked here in CO so looking to gorge seafood)

Anyone have a favorite or clear best from that list, or do you have a spot that is not listed that would be dope?

THANKS!

EDIT: Cold water is no problemo...we have two transgendered cats so we are a progressive household

I stayed at the Montage Resort at Laguna beach a few years ago... It was dope. Played a round of golf at Pelican Hill, and went water jet packing. I would recommend it.

Also stayed at the Del Coranado in October this year, it was a work trip, but the beach right off the hotel is dope, and the hotel has a pretty epic old timey vibe to it.

Last edited:
Check out Fox Rent-A-Car (it'll be Fox something). If they have stores in SD, they are often much cheaper than other car places. Also Enterprise often has weekend deals, it may be cheaper to drop it off earlier than you rent it for rather than paying a daily rate.

Coming into SD, you will be landing over the ocean until the runway. hope you aren't squeamish. :)

It's better than taking off form John Wayne. You go up at almost a 90 degree angle there.

My Aunt lives about 2 miles from John Wayne, and watching the planes take off and land from her patio is pretty neat.

So the trip was amazing. If you are looking for a laid back area to lamp for a bit, then North County seems like a great place to do that. I had never rented a car in San Diego, and man was it easy. All the rentals are housed in the same spot, so you should without hesitation take the cheapest reservation you can find. I went with a higher cost reservation because I was concerned about shuttling issues, but that was not an issue. However, it was nice to roll up to Avis and just walk right to the car (saved a lot of time and ended up allowing us to catch the sunset on Thursday). The drive up the 101 was stunning and should absolutely be done over going 5 (The Coaster was closed due to work, but it would definitely be a cool way to get up to North County). Due to the return of moisture, the coast was absolutely bursting with color. There were flowers fucking everywhere, and all I could keep saying was the word "stunning." We ended up staying in Leucadia on Hillcrest Road, and the aesthetic in the neighborhood was great. Real funky vibes. In fact, Encinitas and Leucadia both had real laid back vibes, but Leucadia was definitely more relaxed.

The first night we went to Fish 101, and it was amazeballs. The oysters were on point, the fish grilled to perfection and the sides different and tasty. They rotate fish offerings based on the dock selection, so I grabbed swordfish the first night. It had been years since I had swordfish due to living in Colorady. Also, the price point was legit given the quality of the food. We walked out of there having a dozen oysters, two fish plates and drinks for $70. The next morning we grabbed coffee and breakfast at Pannakin. It was a dope roaster spot which we later found out has several locations. The one in Encinitas is a remodeled train station. We spent the next day on Moonlight and Swami beaches. At Swami we spent a little time in the Meditation Gardens. It was a mellow and wonderfully anachronistic spot. I really enjoyed the spot we found at Moonlight. The beaches are not huge, but the surf is legit. I did a bit of surfing throughout the weekend and everyone was pleasant, unlike spots I have been to further up the coast. The second night we went to Pacific Coast Grille, and it was the best meal overall. The view was unreal, as we sat on the patio which was literally on the beach. We went late so we could spend the full day on the beach. Do not hesitate going later because they backlit the beach, so you could see the waves crashing while dining on the deck. The food was out of this world good. I got the Ahi and my wife got the scallops. We started with the tar-tar. Everything was cooked to perfection and the flavor layering was on point. We spent the next day on Carslbad State Beach because my wife wanted a space that was a little more flat in order to allow her to lay better. The beach was great and parking was super easy. It is a great family beach. Personally, I preferred the privacy of Moonlight (after walking a bit away from the main access point), but every beach was fantastic. We ended up going back to Fish 101 that night because it was so good from a cost and quality perspective (also it was walking distance from our spot). The ice cream spot in Encinitas is good, and the cones are fucking huge (buyer beware). The last day we went to the Flower Fields in Carlsbad. The admission price was redonk and the place is super touristy, but I am a sucker for agricultural spots, and this one was a legit operation. It is 50 acres of Ranunculous fields, and they were in full bloom. It was beautiful. On our way out we ate at Pelly's which is a fishmonger spot next to the Ralph's in Carlsbad. It is super low key and on point. It is a super casual, no frills and great price fish meal. Overall, if you are looking for a quick jaunt to a beautiful beach town, anywhere in North County seems like it would do the job. Of all the North County town vibes, we really liked Leucadia's the best. Thank you, to everyone that provided us some advice on where to go and what to do.

Last edited:
Sounds like an awesome trip, I'd love to check some of that out thanks for posting!

Did not get down to Imperial and closer to your ole mejico, but I would like to check out that area sometime soon.

I want to do that trip.

I'm going to try to hit Fish 101 and Pacific Coast Grille when I'm out there in September.

The oysters were on point

Everything was cooked to perfection and the flavor layering was on point.

It is super low key and on point.

Sounds like the trip was

450daf75f7bbafc83236d44e9c7dd95c.jpg

Also

"Donny was a good bowler, and a good man. He was one of us. He was a man who loved the outdoors... and bowling, and as a surfer he explored the beaches of Southern California, from La Jolla to Leo Carrillo and... up to... Pismo. He died, like so many young men of his generation, he died before his time. In your wisdom, Lord, you took him, as you took so many bright flowering young men at Khe Sanh, at Langdok, at Hill 364. These young men gave their lives. And so would Donny. Donny, who loved bowling. And so, Theodore Donald Karabotsos, in accordance with what we think your dying wishes might well have been, we commit your final mortal remains to the bosom of the Pacific Ocean, which you loved so well.
Good night, sweet prince."

So glad you had a great trip! I was afraid I was biased from growing up there but was pretty sure anyone looking for a relaxed, beachy trip with good seafood would enjoy it!

So glad you had a great trip! I was afraid I was biased from growing up there but was pretty sure anyone looking for a relaxed, beachy trip with good seafood would enjoy it!

Not a bad part of the world to call home

Staying in Petaluma over Thanksgiving and looking for recs. Russian River and Lagunitas are already on the list. What else should we do? Restaurant recommendations?

Back