• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

AUSTIN ARIANS

JimDuncan

Reaction score
Your 15 points were clutch against VT. I hope you get to go to the NCAAs as part of your PG season with the Deacs. Glad you transferred here. This BUDs for you.

Your 15 points were clutch against VT. I hope you get to go to the NCAAs as part of your PG season with the Deacs. Glad you transferred here. This BUDs for you.

yes, has been a great and needed addition to the team this season.

Would be his second trip to the NCAA Tournament, as he went in 2014 as a sophomore at Milwaukee. Actually led them in scoring too in the game against Villanova with 17 points.

He does so many little things. He may not get a lot of rebounds or steals, but he gets his hands on a lot of loose balls. His fearlessness in shooting is also a huge positive. Other players look at him following the game plan and are more likely to do so themselves.

His active hands on defense are a very underrated facet of his game. He deflected 2-3 different passes on Saturday that led to turnovers.

His shooting was massive. We would have been down 20 in the first half without him. Was amazing how the guards stepped up in the absence of Collins.

When Collins went out with his 4th foul around the 10 minute mark we were tied after the LeDay free throw (who had a great game himself). When Collins came back in 6 minutes later we were up I believe by 4 points.

That's a good taste of what we can do next year (probably not against teams with more size), because most of the final 10 minutes were run with 3 guards, Arians, and Dinos. Imagine that with Brown at the 4 (or a post-grad) next year. That could do some damage on offense. Defense would be interesting unless we work on a zone to run with that lineup in there.

Don't be shocked to see Sam play 15+mpg next year.

Our biggest question next year will be how will we fill the 80 mpg at 4/5. Bryant, Chaundee, Keyshawn and Brandon will play about 110 mpg at 1/2/3. Dinos will probably up his 24 mpg to about 30 mpg. This leaves about 50 mpg to fill at 4/5.

I assume we will go after a post-grad transfer unless Mitchell and/or Washington make huge strides. I really have no idea what we are doing at the 4. Oh, also Eggleston is listed as 6-8, so maybe him?

5: Moore (15), Dinos (15), SJM (10)
4: Dinos (15), ???, ???
3: Brown (25), Woods (10), Washington (5)
2: Woods (20), Chill (10), Mitch (10)
1: Crawford (30), Chill (10)

If Brown is as good as he appears to be, he's playing 30 mpg.

Don't be shocked to see Sam jump up next year. If doral had Sam's bball IQ, Doral might have been leaving this year. It looks like you teach Sam something once and he gets it.

I'd really hope Donvan Mitchell gets some minutes next year. Ultimately I think he stays/plays over Washington.

When Collins went out with his 4th foul around the 10 minute mark we were tied after the LeDay free throw (who had a great game himself). When Collins came back in 6 minutes later we were up I believe by 4 points.

That's a good taste of what we can do next year (probably not against teams with more size), because most of the final 10 minutes were run with 3 guards, Arians, and Dinos. Imagine that with Brown at the 4 (or a post-grad) next year. That could do some damage on offense. Defense would be interesting unless we work on a zone to run with that lineup in there.

Eggleston can handle the ball extremely well for a 6'8 kid, as well.

Brown and Eggleston look like a SG and SF to me. Eggleston would be a small stretch 4. Maybe Mitchell steps into some minutes there.

Brown and Eggleston look like a SG and SF to me. Eggleston would be a small stretch 4. Maybe Mitchell steps into some minutes there.

Given our logjam at the 1-2 right now I'm sure that Brown will play mostly the 3. Woods actually takes most of our minutes at the 3 now.

It will be interesting to see how Danny manages the lineup next year, as there are a lot of pieces.

I'd really hope Donvan Mitchell gets some minutes next year. Ultimately I think he stays/plays over Washington.

Curious to know what this is based on since Mitchell played a total of 6 minutes this season in 3 of WF's 30 games. Would love to see Mitchell blossom next season, but have no reason to expect it unless there are glowing reports about him from practice.

Back to the topic, Arians was great versus VPI. Best game of the year for him. He did quite well guarding LeDay as well. Finally, he has the best shooting form on the team. Classic technique and you can tell he has received great coaching throughout his life.

Having a veteran shooter is so clutch to any good team. Austin has "been there and done that". I don't ever get the feeling that the stage is too big for him. Glad we were able to get him and hope he can produce for 11 more games!

To Arians' credit, Wisconsin wanted him, and he chose WF even though it was a lock Wisky was going to be an NCAA team (and WF was a long shot). Also, Wisconsin's weakness is 3 point shooting (10th in the Big 10); so, he would have helped a good team. Really hard to get a Wisconsin recruit out of the state when the Badgers offer. Got to believe that many at home were asking why he would turn down the in-state offer for an out-of-state long shot. Really glad it worked out so well for both WF and Arians. Always feel like Arians is going to drain it when he shoots.

Yeah backup 4 is where Arians has provided the most value to this team and is the biggest question mark next year for sure. I wouldn't be surprised to see us run some 4 guard lineups with Chaundee at the 4. We could get away with that against a lot of teams.

In order of likelihood/viability our best options at backup 4 next year when Dinos sits or moves to the 5 are:

1. Postgrad Transfer
2. Collins (with Moore/SJM at the 5)
3. Sarr
4. Mitchell
5. Washington/Eggleston
6. Sunday
7. Manny Danning (in games where Danny Manning isn't on the bench due to a mysterious illness).

Back