• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Basketball Recruiting Megathread 1.0 has run its course

well, i must say that i am very nervous about our 2013 class but thank you Travis McKie for not jumping ship with everyone else!

Yeah. I thought we were in pretty good position with a number of quality 2013 recruits, but it sounds like that has completely changed, we are no longer in good position with anyone, and we're gonna go with the whole "under the radar, developing talent" strategy... gggggrrreeeeaaaatttt

We only have one senior on the roster. That means that kids may want to see how this logjam of a class is going to work before they committ.

5* kids, of course, could play anywhere on our roster, but they ain't interested.

Scout put out a whole bunch of 2014 rankings today. Here's the top 75.

Listing Wake Forest:
17. Theo Pinson
35. Jaquel Richmond
43. Shelton Mitchell
46. Cody Martin
47. Caleb Martin

All 5 of those guys play in North Carolina (how impressive is that, by the way? The state of North Carolina has 5 of the top 50 players in the class). Richmond and Mitchell are point guards, while the other three are wings. In my humble opinion, we have no shot at Pinson, but we should have a legitimate chance at each of the other 4. A class of Richmond/Mitchell+Martin twins would be excellent, although we would still be weak in the frontcourt.

Scout put out a whole bunch of 2014 rankings today. Here's the top 75.

Listing Wake Forest:
17. Theo Pinson
35. Jaquel Richmond
43. Shelton Mitchell
46. Cody Martin
47. Caleb Martin

All 5 of those guys play in North Carolina (how impressive is that, by the way? The state of North Carolina has 5 of the top 50 players in the class). Richmond and Mitchell are point guards, while the other three are wings. In my humble opinion, we have no shot at Pinson, but we should have a legitimate chance at each of the other 4.

We'll see what happens, but Pinson could easily go the McClinton route. He's an insanely athletic and built wing but his skill level really hasn't gotten close to his potential...

I'd be pretty surprised if UNC offered them. Don't think its clear cut that they prefer NCSt, but I'd like to hear why you have that impression.

Would also definitely like to hear where you see Richmond ending up. Are you thinking Duke might offer?

So did I miss something or when reading the scout 2013 top 100 are we not even mentioned until #72, for a PG, when we already have CMM.

Already discussed on this thread but basically our main and sole remaining 2013 top 100 prospect is #60 Davon Reed SG, although Wake isn't on his Scout profile. He is listing Wake and they have been on him for a while but he has a lot of quality offers.

The staff went after mostly SGs and whiffed in the top 100 with Anton Gill and Stanford Robinson. We had also been recruiting a formerly top 50 prospect in SF Greg McClinton but he just fell out of the rankings.

Still puzzling why we didn't go after any top 100 2013 bigs, even though we only had 1 2013 schollie up until right after the end of the season.

Last edited:
If you're looking for another big-time Buzz-fail, then our 2013 recruiting is looking to be another final straw...

If we snatched Reed it would be a success IMO, with Battle possibly supplementing that with a quality find of another 3-star big man. Still a long shot, but it's a slither of hope.

From what I've gathered here are the guys in the 2013 and 2014 classes that we are involved with. Basically these are the players where there is mutual interest:

Davon Reed SG (our #1 priority)
Greg McClinton SG (will most likely end up at Louisville)
Miles Overton SG
Youssoupha Kane PF (we have expressed a little interest)
Tyrone Outlaw SF (most likely won't take b/c don't need SF)
Tyler Ennis PG (huge long shot)
Christian Hairston SF (same as Outlaw although Hairston can handle the ball real well for being 6'7")
Kameron Williams SG (tearing it up on the EYBL lately)
Sindarius Thornwell SG (long shot)
Tony Nunn PF/C (don't think we're that interested)
Matt Howard SG (appears to be a late bloomer- really coming on as of late)
Jajuan Johnson SG (long shot)
Chinonso Obokoh PF
Xavier Rathan-Mayes SG
RJ Curington SG

Shelton Mitchell PG (we have a good shot at him and he is legit)
Cody Martin SF
Caleb Martin SF (have a legit shot at both of them from what I've heard)
Kedrick Flomo PG
Devonte Boykins PG
Dante Buford SF
BJ Gladden SF
Alec Brennan PF (have shown a little interest lately)
Gary Clark PF
Isaac Copeland PF (just reclassified to 2014 and going to Miller School)

It's down right stupid that we have all of two big men our board for 2013.

What do you think about Kane and Obokoh?

I've never seen Obokoh play but he's originally from Nigeria and plays up in Rochester, New York. He's playing with Albany City Rocks on the EYBL circuit this summer, and apparently he's raw offensively but very active and athletic. I've read that he gets up and down the floor very well, is a good rebounder, and has a lot of upside. I've seen him listed at 6-9 205 and at 6-10 220.

I have seen Kane play and for him, it's all about potential. Here's the piece I wrote about him http://www.bloggersodear.com/2012/5...recruiting-youssoupha-kane-a-name-to-remember
Basically he is a 6'10" mobile big who is very athletic for his size. He will need to gain some strength but has a lot of upside.

Obviously I wish we could get a big who is already polished offensively, but those really few and far between, so I think either one would be a solid pick-up. And just a note, I don't believe we have offered either of these kids, but I know we have recently shown interest in both of them

Back