• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Megathread 3.0 - The Manning era begins: The Harry Giles Chronicles

I mean, it's tough to grade our recruiting for 2014.

On the one hand, Shelton Mitchell is going to be a really great player for us. Ranking aside, I'm convinced at this point that he'll be a really great fit next to Codi and the best PG that we've had since CP3.

On the other hand, we're competing with Elon for our fifth best SG prospect, and the guys we've offered below are just not that good. This is also our second straight year of failing to recruit an ACC-caliber SG.

The X-factor, I guess, is whether we can get Isaac Haas or Quadri Moore to commit. Sean O'Mara would be nice, too, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of player that will solve our problems in the post.

somebody forgot to sign out of their parody account

I mean, it's tough to grade our recruiting for 2014.

On the one hand, Shelton Mitchell is going to be a really great player for us. Ranking aside, I'm convinced at this point that he'll be a really great fit next to Codi and the best PG that we've had since CP3.

On the other hand, we're competing with Elon for our fifth best SG prospect, and the guys we've offered below are just not that good. This is also our second straight year of failing to recruit an ACC-caliber SG.

The X-factor, I guess, is whether we can get Isaac Haas or Quadri Moore to commit. Sean O'Mara would be nice, too, but he doesn't strike me as the kind of player that will solve our problems in the post.

You think Shelton's going to be better than both Ish and Jeff Teague?

Yeah, I do.

I respectfully disagree that Shelton will be better than Teague, but I agree that he'll be better than Ish. Of course, if he stays longer than Teague I guess you could get into an argument about him helping the team for a longer period of team makes him better.

Hard to compare Teague and Shelton. They are such different types of players. Shelton definitely has better PG skills at this stage, but is a liability on defense and is not fast/quick.

I mean, was Teague really a point guard when he was at Wake? He was an awesome guard, a versatile scorer, and a capable distributor, but was he really a point guard?

Heck, Ish basically took over primary handling responsibilities during his breakout sophomore season, so that he could move off of the ball. Of his two years, Teague's A/TO went 0.96 and 1.06; his PPRs were -3.03 and -3.17; 4.4 assists per 40 minutes pace adjusted vs. 4.2 turnovers...

Teague has really only blossomed into a pure point guard, if one can even call him that at this juncture, in the NBA.

I originally said that Shelton was going to be our best PG since CP3. If Ish is his only competition, then I'm pretty sure that Shelton's capable of living up to the claim.

I mean, was Teague really a point guard when he was at Wake? He was an awesome guard, a versatile scorer, and a capable distributor, but was he really a point guard?

Heck, Ish basically took over primary handling responsibilities during his breakout sophomore season, so that he could move off of the ball. Of his two years, Teague's A/TO went 0.96 and 1.06; his PPRs were -3.03 and -3.17; 4.4 assists per 40 minutes pace adjusted vs. 4.2 turnovers...

Teague has really only blossomed into a pure point guard, if one can even call him that at this juncture, in the NBA.

I originally said that Shelton was going to be our best PG since CP3. If Ish is his only competition, then I'm pretty sure that Shelton's capable of living up to the claim.

Teague's A/TO was bad, but he was arguably our best scorer while he was here, and he played on a team with no shooters. I don't think his position change with Ish had anything to do with Jeff, it's just that Ish was too good to sit and couldn't play any other position.

Lol at Strick saying a high school PG who hasn't even played a second of college basketball will be better than an established NBA player. C'mon, man.

Teague's A/TO was bad, but he was arguably our best scorer while he was here, and he played on a team with no shooters. I don't think his position change with Ish had anything to do with Jeff, it's just that Ish was too good to sit and couldn't play any other position.

Yeah, for sure. I might have worded that a bit awkwardly. That said, Teague's "PG numbers" weren't really that great, even before Ish came about (and it's an undeniably small sample size).

I think TITS said it best, though, that you really can't compare the two of them, at least at this stage.

Last edited:
Am I actually saying that?

yes and no

I got what you meant. You're excited, no reason to apologize. Mitchell's a damn good recruit. Ish and Teague were good, but neither were world beaters so Mitchell outperforming them wouldn't be the biggest surprise. Problem is, he signed for a dog shit coach and a staff who's nearly lost all it's shine. Who in the hell knows what our program will look like in 2 or 3 years?

Ish and Teague are both in the league.

I personally think you've gone off on it today. I get how those that really really follow recruiting are disappointed and there is real reason for concern, but -- and this is almost said as an unfortunately -- we got about 8 kids that are ACC ready gonna play minutes next year and about that number the year after that if we sign nobody else. Thomas, CMM, Moto, Travis, Williams, etc... They're gonna win 13-17 games I'm thinking if we add nobody else.

My point is that if we add another 4star 2014 kid and it doesn't look likely now unless it is a big, then Bzd may actually have some momentum and I use the momentum very loosely. We have a collection of guys that might be able to settle nicely into the middle of the pack of the ACC, emphasize might.

I don't think we are going to suck next year to the point that firing Bzd is a Wellman no brainer.

So some of you exasperated by these recruiting misses might want to thanks the Lord. A sucky 2014 recruiting class excluding Shelton plus another 13 or so win season should probably get Bzd his walking papers. Two more solid 2014 signings and 17, 18 wins and god only knows.

I read it a couple times, trying to figure out where the gay angle was- wondering if "goose egg" might be some gay slang I'm not familiar with.

"Silly goose" maybe?

Jaybone, your inbox is full.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/43181/jeff-teague

Teague was recruited as a PG and played some point for us before Ish took over the role and they moved Jeff to the 2 guard

We know what position he played and what he was recruited as. However, his skillset was not that of a traditional PG. Scorers' mentality.

Back