• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball Recruiting Megathread: Devin Mitchell on campus

The only reason that this is a story is because it's Under Armor and not Adidas or Reebok. That's what makes it seem like such an outlier of a story. Daniels, among others, has gone on the record and said that it's probably not the case and, given that he's privy to this information and very close to the Harrison family and Turgeon, I'm inclined to agree with him.

Given that the CEO of UnderArmor has a direct line to these two's cell phones I think most reasonable people would be inclined to think that there is a lot more to the shoe aspect of it than Daniels or anyone else is letting on via Twitter. And if the dad is on payroll for UA as RJ says that just makes it even fishier and that the shoe companies are a huge factor.

Given that the CEO of UnderArmor has a direct line to these two's cell phones I think most reasonable people would be inclined to think that there is a lot more to the shoe aspect of it than Daniels or anyone else is letting on via Twitter. And if the dad is on payroll for UA as RJ says that just makes it even fishier and that the shoe companies are a huge factor.

It's very, very rare for coaches of top level, nationally traveling teams not to be paid.

I think our staff needs to take a trip to Lourdes and throw some coins in the fountains in Rome, carry four leaf clovers and catch a leprechaun to get Embiid.

Did you read my post? I think shoe companies have access to most prospects. Like I said, it's taken for granted. Shoe companies obviously play a big role (FYC brings up Shabazz and Adidas), but you never hear about it. The only reason it's being posited as an issue here is because it's UA and not Adidas. What I read in all of this is that Kentucky fans are whining that UMD is recruiting better than they are and, because of this, obviously something is afoot! (which you ironically accused me of in a past thread about State recruiting)

RJ has no proof that the Harrison twins' father is on the payroll for UA. Nobody does and, if anything, the dude has been adamant since even before casual fans got interested in his sons' recruitment that he was trying to control a really ridiculous process. His comments have been consistent across the board.

There is really no proof of anything out of the ordinary happening here. That's been the line most experts have been pushing. Given past questionable recruitments (TJones to UK, Shabazz to UCLA, DeRozen to USC, etc.), I'm inclined to believe them.

Also, let's not act like Under Armour didn't sign RSCI #1 recruit Brandon Jennings straight out of HS. These dudes hustle just as hard, if not harder, than other shoe companies.

I don't give a rat's ass what Sonny said. In fact, him saying something usually makes me take the opposite side. however, a father on the payroll of a company for about three years is pretty strong.

Where did you get this information regarding the father on payroll? Those are some mighty strong allegations to parrot without any substantiation (outside of, you know, the source that we agree is pretty unreliable).

Did you read my post? I think shoe companies have access to most prospects. Like I said, it's taken for granted. Shoe companies obviously play a big role (FYC brings up Shabazz and Adidas), but you never hear about it. The only reason it's being posited as an issue here is because it's UA and not Adidas. What I read in all of this is that Kentucky fans are whining that UMD is recruiting better than they are and, because of this, obviously something is afoot! (which you ironically accused me of in a past thread about State recruiting)

RJ has no proof that the Harrison twins' father is on the payroll for UA. Nobody does and, if anything, the dude has been adamant since even before casual fans got interested in his sons' recruitment that he was trying to control a really ridiculous process. His comments have been consistent across the board.

There is really no proof of anything out of the ordinary happening here. That's been the line most experts have been pushing. Given past questionable recruitments (TJones to UK, Shabazz to UCLA, DeRozen to USC, etc.), I'm inclined to believe them.

Also, let's not act like Under Armour didn't sign RSCI #1 recruit Brandon Jennings straight out of HS. These dudes hustle just as hard, if not harder, than other shoe companies.

At least Parrish is consistent: Muhammad's choice a shoe-in for Adidas school UCLA

"RJ has no proof that the Harrison twins' father is on the payroll for UA. Nobody does and, if anything, the dude has been adamant since even before casual fans got interested in his sons' recruitment that he was trying to control a really ridiculous process. His comments have been consistent across the board."

Unless everyone is wrong and he isn't their AAU coach, he's being paid by the people who sponsor the team. It's not unusual. Basically every top traveling team pays their coach.

Don't forget that their father has a bit of money on his own. He's a fairly successful business owner.

"RJ has no proof that the Harrison twins' father is on the payroll for UA. Nobody does and, if anything, the dude has been adamant since even before casual fans got interested in his sons' recruitment that he was trying to control a really ridiculous process. His comments have been consistent across the board."

Unless everyone is wrong and he isn't their AAU coach, he's being paid by the people who sponsor the team. It's not unusual. Basically every top traveling team pays their coach.

That's a very different claim than saying that he's on UA's payroll. One is technically legal and common. One is most definitely not and tends to breed sensationalist speculation.

I mean lots of people said for months before Shabazz committed that UCLA and Adidas would likely win the battle, not just Parrish.

Being paid to coach is being on the payroll. What would you call Company A paying thousands of dollars to someone to do something for them?

Why don't you address going overboard and accusing me of things that were 100% in your mind?

Being paid to coach is being on the payroll. What would you call Company A paying thousands of dollars to someone to do something for them?

Why don't you address going overboard and accusing me of things that were 100% in your mind?

Classic RJ.

I mean lots of people said for months before Shabazz committed that UCLA and Adidas would likely win the battle, not just Parrish.

That's a valid point. We're talking about the Harrisons, though, and my contention (based on the previously cited analyses) is that we're not seeing Shabazz 2.0 with the Harrisons.

Classic RJ.

What's classic?

Saying being paid a company for multiple years for actual work and travel is being on their payroll?

OR

Calling you out for making shit up? I have yet to be angry about anything on this thread. Nor have I stated anything I have said is a fact (other than Harrison coaches his sons which several people have said is so.)

What are you even talking about? Of course UA hustles just as hard as everyone else, that's what this whole debate is about. And of course I read you post, hence the me quoting it part. From what I gather you are saying that nothing is afoot here and the Harrisons recruitment has little/nothing to do with shoe companies. You then say that since Evan Daniels and other recruiters talk about this being a legit recruitment that you feel your opinion is correct. I'm cool with that, I really am. I just think that is far from the case and you are kidding your self if you think that the sole reason that Maryland is possibly land these kids is because they LOVE Baltimore and that Turg has done a great job recruiting them.

I'm sure that Turg has done a great job of recruiting them but for you to say that "There is no proof of anything out of the ordinary" when the kids have the direct Cell Phone number to the CEO of Under Armor is just laughable.

As for the NCSU quip, you accused NCSU of cheating/being shady in recruiting and I disagreed. I didn't accuse you of anything, I merely asked you why you though that. You brought up a bunch of crap that is completely unfounded and based on Gott's relationship with a known cheater back in the day and the fact that he possibly cheated on his wife. Basically condemning Gott of cheating without any evidence other than he has recruited well and once worked under a known cheater in a completely different era of basketball. So sorry if I don't agree with you opinion, but you haven't really brought anything to this conversation that really makes any sense to anyone that is logically looking at the situation.

I'm sure that Turg has done a great job of recruiting them but for you to say that "There is no proof of anything out of the ordinary" when the kids have the direct Cell Phone number to the CEO of Under Armor is just laughable.

I'm shocked that an NC State fan was unable to read before posting a thought.

I'm shocked that an NC State fan was unable to read before posting a thought.

Lot of hate from Maryland fans toward NCSU. And I apologize, it's not the CEO, it's the director of basketball operations for UA having a direct link to two recruits. Completely normal :rolleyes:

What are you even talking about? Of course UA hustles just as hard as everyone else, that's what this whole debate is about. And of course I read you post, hence the me quoting it part. From what I gather you are saying that nothing is afoot here and the Harrisons recruitment has little/nothing to do with shoe companies. You then say that since Evan Daniels and other recruiters talk about this being a legit recruitment that you feel your opinion is correct. I'm cool with that, I really am. I just think that is far from the case and you are kidding your self if you think that the sole reason that Maryland is possibly land these kids is because they LOVE Baltimore and that Turg has done a great job recruiting them.

As for the NCSU quip, you accused NCSU of cheating/being shady in recruiting and I disagreed. I didn't accuse you of anything, I merely asked you why you though that. You brought up a bunch of crap that is completely unfounded and based on Gott's relationship with a known cheater back in the day and the fact that he possibly cheated on his wife. Basically condemning Gott of cheating without any evidence other than he has recruited well and once worked under a known cheater in a completely different era of basketball. So sorry if I don't agree with you opinion, but you haven't really brought anything to this conversation that really makes any sense to anyone that is logically looking at the situation.

I posted links to articles, posted quotes from Twitter conversation, and went point-by-point through the Parrish blog post, showing how it really didn't prove anything.

Evidently, your reading comprehension is not at a level where you can glean what I've stated on multiple occasions: it has nothing to do with clean or dirty recruiting. It's consensus that most recruiting is dirty and that shoe companies are involved.

Hate to break it to you, kids have everybody's numbers nowadays. In fact, agents, runners, and shoe reps are usually most of the early am audience at AAU Tournaments. I was pretty friendly with a couple of them back in the day. They have access when even coaches don't. That you find this shocking is, frankly, funny.

I'm not saying that this is a legit recruitment. Do you struggle with reading comprehension or something? I'm saying that it's not as is being portrayed. The recruiting analysts aren't saying that this is a dirty or straight recruitment. What they're saying is that the sexy story isn't what's actually happening.

Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDanielsFOX
B/c that's not a sexy story. RT @RobEngemann why isnt any1 mentioning that Harrisons team wore Nike as 15u, went to Lebron, Adidas & Reebok

That's the point and for whatever reason, you're having a hard time comprehending that.

Back