• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bball Recruiting Megathread: Devin Mitchell on campus

Can Rimmer or Djitte be factors in the ACC as frosh?

Is Rimmer as good as Devin or Cav? 13 bigs are nowhere near as deep as 12 was.

How about announcement tomorrow from Davon?

Honestly, I'm not even sure that we are recruiting a 2013 big. Haven't heard about any potential visits or anyone even listing the Deacs at the 4 or 5 spot. It's all about finding a SG right now it seems like.

Can Rimmer or Djitte be factors in the ACC as frosh?

Is Rimmer as good as Devin or Cav? 13 bigs are nowhere near as deep as 12 was.

How about announcement tomorrow from Davon?

I haven't seen a ton of Devin and Cav, but I've seen some Rimmer. I honestly think Devin and Cav are better in the long run.

That being said, I think it's a damn shame that we struck out in 2013 on bigs. 2014 doesn't look much better and moving forward, assuming that we're done recruiting bigs, settling on a PF (Devin/Cav +/- Travis/Moto) and C (Green/Washington) rotation doesn't strike me as a particularly smart move from our coaching staff...

Last edited:
This is a very weak class of bigs. Some don't like the position I've taken on these boards for the past twenty plus years, but it is solid. It's quite direct. You don't give out a scholarship (especially when we are short) just to fill a slot if the player isn't that good.

You wait for someone who is more likely to contribute.

We're looking at a one big in 2014 according to Scout, a skinny 6'9, 210 Kentucky PF named Shane Hall. Has anybody heard anything? Seems out of our league, but I'm wondering if there's any substance to our "interest."

He holds an offer from Butler with interest from Kentucky, Louisville, Indiana, Texas, Purdue, Tennessee, Wake, Virginia Tech, Xavier, West Virginia, Cincy, and Alabama.

4* - Scout (#64 overall/#14 PF)
4* - Rivals (#86 overall/UR)
3* ESPN (UR/#19 PF)

Last edited:
This is a very weak class of bigs. Some don't like the position I've taken on these boards for the past twenty plus years, but it is solid. It's quite direct. You don't give out a scholarship (especially when we are short) just to fill a slot if the player isn't that good.

Have you ever thought of publishing your comments for posterity?

My point is that Ndiaye goes to high school on the west coast, and it would be tough for Wake to start recruiting him now and get him to come here. Georgetown would be a bigger lure to come all the way to the east coast because 1) They have been recruiting him longer and 2) They are a better program right now than Wake

That would be incorrect. Georgetown is in an imploding conference. The draw would be that Georgetown and dc have more foreign students and residents than just about anywhere else. Gtech would be a possibility for the same reason

That would be incorrect. Georgetown is in an imploding conference. The draw would be that Georgetown and dc have more foreign students and residents than just about anywhere else. Gtech would be a possibility for the same reason

Building on that, Georgetown has a reputation for developing raw, particularly but hardly limited to international, big men, as well. Most of their bigs that stay four years get an NBA paycheck in some form or another.

Building on that, Georgetown has a reputation for developing raw, particularly but hardly limited to international, big men, as well. Most of their bigs that stay four years get an NBA paycheck in some form or another.

Nikita Mescheriakov just signed to play with Acegas Trieste of the Italian League!

If the Italian leagues are like they used to be Nikita better keep his bags packed. They cut you quicker than an NFL team.

We're looking at a one big in 2014 according to Scout, a skinny 6'9, 210 Kentucky PF named Shane Hall. Has anybody heard anything? Seems out of our league, but I'm wondering if there's any substance to our "interest."

He holds an offer from Butler with interest from Kentucky, Louisville, Indiana, Texas, Purdue, Tennessee, Wake, Virginia Tech, Xavier, West Virginia, Cincy, and Alabama.

4* - Scout (#64 overall/#14 PF)
4* - Rivals (#86 overall/UR)
3* ESPN (UR/#19 PF)

Shane took an unofficial visit to Wake last spring.

Shane took an unofficial visit to Wake last spring.

Thanks for the info. Any word as to our interest? It seems like the most interested schools on his list are Butler and Cincy, with the rest lurking to see how he pans out.

Self-authenticating. Smooth.

Just because there are less stars doesn't make them a weaker class. We need size in any way it can come.

Thanks for the info. Any word as to our interest? It seems like the most interested schools on his list are Butler and Cincy, with the rest lurking to see how he pans out.

I've never seen Shane play, but I talked to a scout who has, and he said that he sees him more as MM/MM+ prospect simply due to the fact that he's fairly undersized at the 4 position. He's listed by some services as 6'9" but apparently is only around 6'7". His athleticism and jumping ability make up for some of that, but he's apparently not a natural post 4 man. He may very well outplay that MM/MM+ designation, as it does appear he has interest from a few high majors, but you probably hit the nail on the head when you said they are all waiting to see how he develops/if he grows anymore.

I've never seen Shane play, but I talked to a scout who has, and he said that he sees him more as MM/MM+ prospect simply due to the fact that he's fairly undersized at the 4 position. He's listed by some services as 6'9" but apparently is only around 6'7". His athleticism and jumping ability make up for some of that, but he's apparently not a natural post 4 man. He may very well outplay that MM/MM+ designation, as it does appear he has interest from a few high majors, but you probably hit the nail on the head when you said they are all waiting to see how he develops/if he grows anymore.

RJ, I was looking for something like this.

Sounds like we don't need him.

That seems odd that he's getting that level of hype relative to your scouts fairly low opinion of him. Thanks for the heads up, peg and dalbert. Informative as always.

Back