• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17-Chaundee Brown commits to WAKE! Brandon Randolph to AZ

https://www.instagram.com/p/BG7ZbweJOPk/

Did anyone else see this? By my count, that's 315 by my count. He's 232 pounds. That's incredibly impressive--he must be putting in work this offseason.

He posted a pretty impressive clean the other day, too. Collins definitely looks good in the weight room. Hoping he can stay on the floor for longer stretches this year (defense without fouling).

The number of offers Manning makes is one of the dumber complaints that gets trotted out on this board.

He was downgraded from a 4-star (#19 SF) to a 3-star (NR SF), which is how he's currently rated by Scout and ESPN (#52 SF). It also appears that he has fallen out of Scout's SF rankings (formerly #22)

247 still has him ranked as a 4-star/90 (#22 SF), but they'll (probably) re-rank him as a 3-star at some point - as they tend to do - to reflect the downgrade.

ETA: His page on Rivals appears to be out of date. I'll check back in a day or two to see if that changes things.

Very disappointing to see our one commitment so far for 2017 drop out of the top 150, especially coming after the on paper lack luster class of 2016. Our pathway back to the top of the ACC cannot be done through mediocre in game coaching and mediocre player development alone. We need to recruit some top tier talent.

Very disappointing to see our one commitment so far for 2017 drop out of the top 150, especially coming after the on paper lack luster class of 2016. Our pathway back to the top of the ACC cannot be done through mediocre in game coaching and mediocre player development alone. We need to recruit some top tier talent.

I hear you (and this concern). I'm a fan of the Eggleston commitment because our staff identified a prospect - a 6'8 wing with athleticism and length to spare - early and signed him. The [name redacted]-era already feels like awhile ago, but we were missing out on 10-15 prospects per position almost every year with that clown (and his staff). 2016 isn't a great class on paper, but I like that we're signing more priority targets than we did in the past. That's a low expectation, however, and I'd like this staff to give us a reason to have higher expectations in the near future.

There seems to be a pattern of a lot of early Manning offers blowing up into elite recruits and early Manning commits tumbling down the rankings.

There seems to be a pattern of a lot of early Manning offers blowing up into elite recruits and early Manning commits tumbling down the rankings.

Yeah. That's what people complain about, not total number of offers.

Which is perfectly fine if Manning's players actually turn out to be good players. Of course it would be great to get a top-10 no-brainer type guy, but after that it is generally a crapshoot anyway. He has shown a pretty good eye for talent regardless of rankings so far. The problem is that our program is irrelevant to most recruits who have never known us to be decent during their NCAA-conscious lifetime. If he can get us back to winning by using guys who outperform their rankings, then he'll have more success with the consensus top guys. I'm not saying he will, but it is a viable strategy given both the Bzaster and Manning's apparent eye for talent.

A top 10 player in the 17 class just committed to Western Kentucky. Should be no excuses. Danny needs to land a big fish really soon.

Does DM have a great eye for talent or does he just offer a lot of players early because that's what desperate programs do? Last year's class looks nice but it featured 2 top 100 players so you would tend to expect that. When I watch Dinos and Wilbekin get torched time and time again while Cav leads his team to an NIT championship, it's hard for me to believe that DM is anything other than an average talent evaluator by ACC standards.

Does DM have a great eye for talent or does he just offer a lot of players early because that's what desperate programs do? Last year's class looks nice but it featured 2 top 100 players so you would tend to expect that. When I watch Dinos and Wilbekin get torched time and time again while Cav leads his team to an NIT championship, it's hard for me to believe that DM is anything other than an average talent evaluator by ACC standards.

Using the class that he threw together right after he was hired isn't a very good measuring stick.

Last year's frosh seem to be the level of guys we're looking for. If this year's class doesn't pan out at all then that's certainly fair game. Time will tell.

Hopefully we grab two t100 to close this class out. We haven't made many 2017 offers recently so hopefully that's a sign that the staff feels good about their current targets.

I don't follow recruiting as closely as some but I recall several 2016/2017 recruits that Manning offered while they were un-ranked or lightly ranked that ended up as elite recruits. That seems to support his ability too identify talent.

Despite their flaws, both Wilbekin & Dinos were a substantial upgrade to the existing talent on the roster at the time. Considering the options available, I think Manning showed a great eye for talent in that situation. Collins is another example of Manning finding an under valued recruit later in the process.

Washington & Melo will be a good gauge for Manning's evaluation skills since they were early priorities that ended up @ WF.

Didn't realize he was that lowly rated when he committed.

Back