• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k17-Chaundee Brown commits to WAKE! Brandon Randolph to AZ

Wasn't Melo exploding up the charts before his injury?

I wouldn't say exploding, but - with the exception of ESPN (which isn't really all that reliable anymore) - he was on his way to being a consensus top-100 guy.

ETA: A solid endorsement:

Last edited:
I wouldn't say exploding, but - with the exception of ESPN (which isn't really all that reliable anymore) - he was on his way to being a consensus top-100 guy.

ETA: A solid endorsement:

So, he can dunk when nobody is guarding him?

Is he really playing against competition like that #53 kid in that photo?

Last edited:
Hope the staff doesn't give a 2016 schollie to Bennett. Doesn't even fill a need.

Strick, sorry I disappeared for a day. Without trying to derail the thread away from recruiting, since you asked a couple times:
Per 40 min stats are useless to me because a guy who plays only 5 min, 10 min, 20 min, etc is getting limited playing time because he's generally not good enough to play more minutes and typically is playing against backups not starters. For practical purposes, his per 40 min stats are meaningless because the coach knows he can only play "x" minutes productively. Who cares if he would be really productive in 40 min? He's only playing 10 for a reason.
If you were to limit it to guys who played a minimum of 28 or 30 mpg, I think it would be pretty useful, pace adjusted of course. Of course, on a loaded team where an excellent backup just can't get more minutes, there may be more value in it. On the flip side, extended minutes would be more likely to come in blowouts which could skew numbers favorably. But that's not relevant to our team yet...

Strick, sorry I disappeared for a day. Without trying to derail the thread away from recruiting, since you asked a couple times:
Per 40 min stats are useless to me because a guy who plays only 5 min, 10 min, 20 min, etc is getting limited playing time because he's generally not good enough to play more minutes and typically is playing against backups not starters. For practical purposes, his per 40 min stats are meaningless because the coach knows he can only play "x" minutes productively. Who cares if he would be really productive in 40 min? He's only playing 10 for a reason.
If you were to limit it to guys who played a minimum of 28 or 30 mpg, I think it would be pretty useful, pace adjusted of course. Of course, on a loaded team where an excellent backup just can't get more minutes, there may be more value in it. On the flip side, extended minutes would be more likely to come in blowouts which could skew numbers favorably. But that's not relevant to our team yet...

How dare you challenge him!

Also, what use are Per 40 if part of the Per 40 includes 6-9 fouls. Last time I looked the ACC didn't have the NBA Summer League's 10 Foul/Thon Maker Rule. Even if you adjust those numbers to show results for the amount time it would project to get 5 fouls, they wouldn't be relevant, because the player would likely be sat once he got in foul trouble.

If Doral or JC can figure out hoe to play without getting fouls, they might even get better numbers, because they wouldn't be worrying about every play getting them sent to the bench.

But again, none of these reasons matter. I know nothing and stat god is always right. How can I possibly think I might have some insights?

Last edited:
Ah that makes more sense, but would still be a bit of a letdown.

He doesn't have an offer yet. But he's not a bad insurance policy if Nate Watson and our other top post prospects go elsewhere. A year or two of a college strength and conditioning program could potentially turn him into a Reggie Johnson type player.

Last edited:
Well, if he's down to 300, he would have lost 30 pounds. Is he going to Hargrave? If so, he could lose another 20-30 pounds due to their tough practices.

How good is he?

If Doral doesn't explode, Bennett would give us three pure centers.

I kind of doubt if he's all the way down to 300. I think at one point he was over 350. So his conditioning really hurt his recruitment.

Back