• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

I don't think anyone was. I would be worried about next year if it wasn't for this very strong draft class.

Im a big JC fan, but can't see him ready for the NBA after one more year. His game is too limited and he is not strong enough. He needs time to work on 10-15 foot range jumper, on ball defense, and strength. I think will stay for all 4 years.

Plenty of first round picks aren't "ready for the NBA." I think he'll be a lottery pick next year based on college productivity and upside. He'd be a 20 year old pick in the 2018 draft.

RC107, I meant I didn't think anyone was counting on him staying four years.

Im a big JC fan, but can't see him ready for the NBA after one more year. His game is too limited and he is not strong enough. He needs time to work on 10-15 foot range jumper, on ball defense, and strength. I think will stay for all 4 years.

I think that you're comparing him to current NBA players. He isn't an NBA player now, but he has the potential to be one after training full time with coaches and NBA teams; which is all they're looking for.

When do the 2-way contracts go into effect under new CBA? Seems like that will entice players on the fence about leaving early to go ahead and go.

Will be interesting to see what effect those have on College basketball.

Plenty of first round picks aren't "ready for the NBA." I think he'll be a lottery pick next year based on college productivity and upside. He'd be a 20 year old pick in the 2018 draft.

RC107, I meant I didn't think anyone was counting on him staying four years.

I agree.

I think that you're comparing him to current NBA players. He isn't an NBA player now, but he has the potential to be one after training full time with coaches and NBA teams; which is all they're looking for.

Yes. He has an NBA frame, above average athleticism, and he's the best post scorer we've had since Songaila.

Songaila with far more athletic upside and less range and similar foul issues.

I feel like it should be incredibly easy for Manning to sell John Collins massive improvement to other recruits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC actually made a nice 15 footer the other day. He's got a nice stroke, just needs to work on it.

Scouts will look at his shooting mechanics as plus. He barely has any assists on the year but to be fair he's not in a position to get a lot of them. It's a minor miracle when our guards make a successful entry pass, and then more times than not Wake's best offensive option for the rest of possession is for him to try to score. I don't think he's been doubled a lot, but that's because teams have been good at denial. That's partly guard play, partly him afraid to get an offensive foul because of the chickenshit way CBB is officiated now. He's strong enough to fight for position.

He should be back one more year to get firmly in the 1st round, as there's still a massive contract difference between 1st and 2nd and his age would make him leaving as a JR comparable to most prospects as sophs.

I think his ceiling is Taj Gibson. Not quite as athletic and does not show good defensive instincts, but similar build and offensive game.

Last edited:
I think Taj Gibson is an okay comp. Right now JC's college numbers are better than Taj's junior year when was drafted 26th.

With the shooters we have surrounding him he should have more than 6 assists on the year. His usage rate is 30% and his assist rate is 3.8%. That's atrocious

I think Taj Gibson is an okay comp. Right now JC's college numbers are better than Taj's junior year when was drafted 26th.

His offensive numbers are, but Gibson also averaged 2.5 blocks a game in college. They both have similar face-up games in the post and jumpers out to 12-15 feet.

We'll see where Collins' number land after conference play. I'm #nervous that he'll regress to the mean a bit.

Well when he isn't double teamed our shooters have to move around to get open. Usually when we drop the ball inside, our guards are standing around doing nothing. They need to get open on the outside or crash the boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back