• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Yes, incredibly low as mentioned and definitely not a strength but if he's not getting doubled he should try to score when he finally gets the ball. His 10 FGAs a game are probably lower than the optimal Wake game plan.

With the shooters we have surrounding him he should have more than 6 assists on the year. His usage rate is 30% and his assist rate is 3.8%. That's atrocious

how does that compare with jahlil okafor?

I'm not too worried about the passing. Collins is our #1 option and he's a ridiculously effective post scorer. He's not double teamed that often, so he'd likely be passing to a shooter who is covered. Any other passes to the perimeter are to reset the offense which of course there's not as much time to do with a 30 second shot clock. He has made a few good passes to Dinos and I think Woods or Crawford cutting to the basket.

The past few games he's been getting a lot of doubles, and I expect it will continue through conference play.

Has he? FSU defs didn't tho he barely played and couldn't handle Ojo, who is a freak of nature. I don't remember a bunch from Clemson and BC and he ate when he got the ball (15-24 shooting). Specifically against Clemson we could not get him the damn ball nearly enough.

With the shooters we have surrounding him he should have more than 6 assists on the year. His usage rate is 30% and his assist rate is 3.8%. That's atrocious

Hard to be too critical of our best player but since has become the focus of the offense he has plenty of forced shots that he could have turned into opportunities for an assist. I am seeing improvement in that, especially several minutes into the game if he seems to be getting into the flow. He is also improving in staying set on picks and defense. Baby steps but critical.

Has he? FSU defs didn't tho he barely played and couldn't handle Ojo, who is a freak of nature. I don't remember a bunch from Clemson and BC and he ate when he got the ball (15-24 shooting). Specifically against Clemson we could not get him the damn ball nearly enough.

he got doubled (or a lot of help d) more or less every time he touched it against bc in the second half, led to some nice assists to dinos

we couldn't even get it to him against clemson in the final 8 minutes, but he got doubled in the first half a bit

fsu was the ojo show, he's basically 2 people in one

how does that compare with jahlil okafor?

Jahlil averaged 1.3 a game (to Johns .4) and posted an assist rate of 9.4% with a usage rate of 27%.

For the RJs of the world, Usage rate estimates the % of possessions a player uses (i.e. shoots, gets to the line, or turns the ball over) while he is on the floor.

Assist rate estimates the percentage of all the shots made while a player is on the floor resulting from an assist by that player.

Given the role JC plays in our offense, and his limited time on the floor, I would expect a high usage rate and low assist rate, but those numbers are glaring.

jah is getting right around 1 assist per game right now but it feels like the ball goes into him in the paint and just doesn't come out, which is a pretty similar feeling i get watching collins

collins doesn't have his post game, but could probs develop a better jumper and definitely has the chops to be a better defender

Hard to be too critical of our best player but since has become the focus of the offense he has plenty of forced shots that he could have turned into opportunities for an assist. I am seeing improvement in that, especially several minutes into the game if he seems to be getting into the flow. He is also improving in staying set on picks and defense. Baby steps but critical.

I don't necessarily doubt what you're saying, but I can't think of any times I thought he should have passed it. There's just not much movement on the perimeter or to the basket when Collins has the ball.

i don't think passing will hurt his JC's stock though. johnathan isaac actually plays 3/4 instead of 5 for FSU and is mocked 7th at draftexpress and he has 10 assists on the year. there are lots of 5s in the NBA that have super low assist rates.

JC as a 4 in the NBA will have to improve wrt passing but as a 5 for Wake who doesn't really have the offense run through him it's not that big of a deal for draft stock purposes.

I don't necessarily doubt what you're saying, but I can't think of any times I thought he should have passed it. There's just not much movement on the perimeter or to the basket when Collins has the ball.

he's also shooting 60% from the field for the season and in ACC play, i don't think he's forcing a lot of shots. as i said earlier 10 FGAs is too low.

I think he could thrive as an NBA 4. His defensive would be better with a rim protector helping him (think Blake) and he has the potential to diversify his offense if paired with an offensive minded 5 (think this year's LMA).

That's not a bad one.

if this Wake team gets to the tourney it will be because Collins makes himself a 1st round pick for the 2017 draft

Collins will thrive in the NBA where players get an extra foul before disqualification.

Back