• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Philly Cheesesteak in Winston?

There's a place, actually more of a local chain now, that has all that shit (including the Amoroso bread) here in Dallas. The bread seemed to be the only discernible difference to me compared to other cheesesteaks.

Sorry, not Winston-Salem related.

Just curious - which place?

I never had a cheesesteak growing up that had mayo as a standard item, so I always thought it was a Southern thing. A lot of places let you add what you want (I knew a place that you could add mozzarella sticks to the sandwich), but that isn't really a classic cheesesteak at that point.

Bingo.

I was at my buddy's cheesesteak place in HB (he's from South Jersey), a California asked for mayo on his cheesesteak and John said, "No". That's the right answer.

A real cheesesteak will never have mayo on it.

Bingo.

I was at my buddy's cheesesteak place in HB (he's from South Jersey), a California asked for mayo on his cheesesteak and John said, "No". That's the right answer.

All this indignation about what constitutes a real cheesesteak. I bet half the schmos on here do not even know there are different meats used and which makes a better steak.

All this indignation about what constitutes a real cheesesteak. I bet half the schmos on here do not even know there are different meats used and which makes a better steak.

not to mention it's a fucking trash sandwich to begin with

trashy, low nutrition, low cost ingredients across the board

no need to try and glorify it with 'real cheesesteak' like that's some great thing

just enjoy it for what it is

no need to try and glorify it with 'real cheesesteak' like that's some great thing

Give me an arista from paes or a roast beef overboard from originals nicks

Maybe where you go...neither wafer sliced top sirloin nor rib-eye are "trash ingredients"- nor are fresh veggies like bell peppers, mushroom, onions. Real cheeses aren't trash ingredients either.

My bad, if we don't know the name of the cow or which acre in Kennett Square where the steak or mushrooms originate, the ingredients must be trash.

Maybe where you go...neither wafer sliced top sirloin nor rib-eye are "trash ingredients"- nor are fresh veggies like bell peppers, mushroom, onions. Real cheeses aren't trash ingredients either.

My bad, if we don't know the name of the cow or which acre in Kennett Square where the steak or mushrooms originate, the ingredients must be trash.

My point was more do not make a definitive statement about something of which you know little in terms of composition or history.

My point was more do not make a definitive statement about something of which you know little in terms of composition or history.

You've engaged RJ. Thanks in advance for killing the thread.

My comment wasn't to you. It was about Townie calling it trash.

One nice thing about a city with cheesesteaks as a staple of the street food cuisine is that it bleeds into pub food in awesome ways like cheesesteak pizza or tuna cheesesteak or lots of nice offshoots. Or in some cases like Sonny's they use really solid top sirloin meat, local cheeses, etc.

Apparently putting mayo (and lettuce and tomato) on a cheesesteak is normal in Pittsburgh. At least that's what I gathered after some jerk yelled at me and stiffed me on a tip because the cheeseteak I served him in my waitressing days didn't have mayo, lettuce, and tomato on it. (Which was literally on the menu as a cheesesteak hoagie.)

Surprised they didn't want fries on the damn thing.

Man such hate for the hoagie. Shit, give me that with hot hoagie spread and oil/vinegar, and I am in heaven. A couple pickled eggs as a side and whooooaaa man.

I use white american cheese when I make them at home.

If you're going to Philly, get a roasted pork with broccoli rabe sandwich.

this is something that philly people say to try to pretend they are higher class and it's bullshit. this sandwich is fine but if broccoli rabe was any good we'd eat it more often. get a cheesesteak.

Bingo.

this is so dumb. if your California friend is making sandwiches he can put whatever he wants on them, but that doesn't make it right.

Back