• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best pitching performance in MLB history?

Wow my life's changed. I had no idea there was a no-hitter this week.

lol you gotta love the AWFUL dave cameron here talking about single game WAR

how far back do we have FIP/xFIP numbers?

i'm sure that's what he used.

for me, the best way to measure it would be some combo of fip-/era-/slg-. you should get more credit for doing it in a higher-run scoring environment thus the league adjusted stats. might even want to factor in strength of lineup faced ideally (which would also help w/ playoff performances). by using fip- you give more credit for what the pitcher did than the defense behind you. era helps to control for actually giving up 0 runs (which is really the most important). slg- makes giving up a bloop single or bleeder less of an issue than a walk (which you control) or an extra base hit. just my thoughts on the best way to calculate it. probs some ip/league avg ip per start. maybe get the 3 rate stats out of 100 then multiply by the ip/la ip.

Sept 10th,1999 Pedro pitched a one hitter (w/17 Ks) in Yankee Stadium and the next day, the Deacs beat Army at the Point.
I remember that game. Petey gave up a HR to Chili Davis early in the game and didn't allow a base runner the rest of the way.

Forty years ago last week, Nolan Ryan pitched against Luis Tiant. Ryan threw 235 pitches. Tiant threw a few more. I'm pretty sure both made their next starts.

Every Nolan Ryan no hitter but 1 had atleast 14 K. Problem is he also often had a number of walks

Pedro in Yankee Stadium was pretty great

How wild is it that Nolan Ryan has 2x the number of no hitters (7) than everyone that's ever played with the exception of Kofax (4)? Just seems like such an outlier. I'm not a big baseball fan but that number has always struck me.

Sept 10th,1999 Pedro pitched a one hitter (w/17 Ks) in Yankee Stadium and the next day, the Deacs beat Army at the Point.

This was the first one that came to mind for me. Pedro Martinez circa 1999 was the best pitcher I have ever seen.

The six no hit innings he had out of the pen in game five of the ALDS was another amazing performance

This is just incredible: The Express threw 222 complete games in his career. El Tiante, 187. So it's not a shock that they would lock up in a game where they both went nine innings. But then they went ten, and eleven, and twelve and so on...

http://gusramsey.blogspot.com/2011/06/my-favorite-box-score-ever.html

Forty years ago last week, Nolan Ryan pitched against Luis Tiant. Ryan threw 235 pitches. Tiant threw a few more. I'm pretty sure both made their next starts.

Every Nolan Ryan no hitter but 1 had atleast 14 K. Problem is he also often had a number of walks

Pedro in Yankee Stadium was pretty great

Until he hit 100 pitches or so. Then he turned into a pumpkin (Pedro).

Jack Morris in the Twins win over the Braves in the world series was a great performance...

Back