• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best Players Who Should Have Played in the ACC

Let me throw in Joachim Blom. Would have gone to Wake with Duncan, but took his algebra a year too early under the Swedish system and never got through NCAA clearinghouse.

Also, Joel Przybilla, another Euro who went north, to like Minn.

Dell Curry is from the same hometown as Ralph Sampson. I should note that Mr. Curry is now regarded as an ACC Legend.

You mean Knollwood Baptist's own. He was an ELITE 6'3 church league post player. He didn't make varsity at RJR until he was senior and then went to a JC in Florida where he grew to 6-8 and got dat scholly to O$U.
Played for KBC against First Baptist's and later UNC's own Cooper Scurry.

James Worthy's teammate at Hunter Huss, Sleepy Floyd, was lightly recruited by the ACC.

Dell Curry is from the same hometown as Ralph Sampson. I should note that Mr. Curry is now regarded as an ACC Legend.

Dell was actually from Fort Defiance, a suburb (if you can call it that) of Harrisonburg. It is sad to see the older VT folks being named as ACC legends when they never played a conference game.

Let me throw in Joachim Blom. Would have gone to Wake with Duncan, but took his algebra a year too early under the Swedish system and never got through NCAA clearinghouse.

Also, Joel Przybilla, another Euro who went north, to like Minn.

Przybilla was a Minnesotan who went to Minnesota.

Blom and Coleman could have made those Duncan teams better and helped us avoid the NIT post-Duncan.

The gap between the expectation of what Woods/Coleman/Blom was supposed to be at one point (Woods - top 10, Coleman - top 25ish after his junior year [fell out during the summer], Blom - international man of mystery) and their reality (eventually, absolutely nothing) is one of the most crucial misses we've ever had. Heading into their senior season, I, for one, was thinking these guys would at least keep us top 25 nationally, top 2-3 in conference. Alas, that was not to be.

James Worthy's teammate at Hunter Huss, Sleepy Floyd, was lightly recruited by the ACC.

Wait, didn't he end up turning it over to Worthy in that one Nat'l Championship to seal it for UNC? Or was that pass intended for Sleepy Floyd? I don't think I realized they were high school teammates. Sleepy Floyd is an all-time great name.

ETA - just looked it up and it was some other dude, but the pass was meant for Sleepy, whose given name, Eric Augustus, is almost as badass as "Sleepy."

The gap between the expectation of what Woods/Coleman/Blom was supposed to be at one point (Woods - top 10, Coleman - top 25ish after his junior year [fell out during the summer], Blom - international man of mystery) and their reality (eventually, absolutely nothing) is one of the most crucial misses we've ever had. Heading into their senior season, I, for one, was thinking these guys would at least keep us top 25 nationally, top 2-3 in conference. Alas, that was not to be.

Blom should have been at Wake the year Timmy got "Stanfordized." If he had been, I don't think Stanford could have done that. He was described as a big (6-10, 240), tough Euro, who liked to bang and play down low. Tim might have had a dozen assists to him that game if Stanford persisted in doing what they did to Tim.

Back