• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best USA Sport Moments of All Time

PaddyWF

Reaction score
Jesse Owens wins four gold medals at 1936 Olympics
Lou Gehrig "luckiest man" speech
Miracle on Ice

1980 Olympics - miracle on ice
1996 olympics - Kerri strug vault to win gymnastics team gold
2008 Olympics - swimming 4x100 relay over France
2010 World Cup - Landon donovan stoppage time goal to beat Algeria and advance

1980 miracle on ice is the most significant sporting event of my time as it changed the psyche of the american people

1980 miracle on ice is the most significant sporting event of my time as it changed the psyche of the american people

+1
Still remember jumping up and down when we won.

Miracle on ice really stands on its own.

Kerri Strug is right up there, IMHO.

Bad title. Could apply to Team USA or any American athlete/profesional team.

Ben Hogan's 1953 season.

Tiger Woods' 1997 Masters win.

Roger Maris / Mickey Mantle chasing Babe Ruth's HR record.

USA beats Mexico 2002 WC.

As in USA on the world stage or in American sports?

If we're opening up to individual, not team USA accomplishments, Gibson's homer in the 88 World Series is maybe my top.

Some of the responses here are weird. I don't think of Gibson's HR or Tiger winning a golf tournament as a "USA sports moment".

Miracle on Ice is first and everything else is vying for second. The women's WC win in 1999 is up there as well.

Miracle on Ice is far behind Jackie Robinson as Jackie changed an entire sport forever and led to huge changes in our country.

Miracle on Ice is also behind Jesse Owens.

Miracle on Ice was a great moment, but it's impact in the US was over not too long after the game.

Back