• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Best USA Sport Moments of All Time

Miracle on Ice is far behind Jackie Robinson as Jackie changed an entire sport forever and led to huge changes in our country.

Miracle on Ice is also behind Jesse Owens.

Miracle on Ice was a great moment, but it's impact in the US was over not too long after the game.

you do realize that 37 years later grown men are talking about where they were when we beat the Russians right.

you do realize that 37 years later grown men are talking about where they were when we beat the Russians right.

I frequently tell people not to say anything about a game I intend to watch on replay. In this case I think I threatened them with bodily harm, when I was still capable of carrying out that threat.

Not necessarily to do with sports, but back before the days of computers folks were glued to their TVs for major events and remembered where they were and who they were with. Some of these include the Miracle on Ice, Neil Armstrong landing on the moon and JFK getting shot. Today, most people get there news individually. The group huddle around a tv was a special bonding moment.
So much for nostalgia.

I'd add the OJ verdict to that list of memorable events. Like the JFK assassination, it was in the middle of the day so a lot of folks were in group settings. I was paying my bill at a restaurant. There was an eerie silence (yes, it was not a diverse crowd in there).

Miracle on Ice made us feel good. Jackie Robinson breaking the color line did good.

Secretariat wins Belmont Stakes by 31 lengths

Ali - Frazier fights, especially III

Is it me, or does RJ come across as someone who has forcibly brainwashed himself ?

Miracle on Ice and Jesse Owens has to be 1 and 2. A case can be made for either to be on top, but they are at least the top 2.

meh, the color barrier would've been broken at some point

But people's lives would have been further impacted and needlessly until it happened. There is no long-lasting impact on sports or society by the Miracle on Ice. It was a great game and a great win, but that's it.

But people's lives would have been further impacted and needlessly until it happened. There is no long-lasting impact on sports or society by the Miracle on Ice. It was a great game and a great win, but that's it.

So you're saying it was a great moment.

i'm saying A) jackie wasn't "a moment" and B) that you're wrong

His taking the field was absolutely a "moment". The entire nation stopped for it and the nation was changed because of it.

The Miracle on Ice was a nice win. It helped the country for a short period. But to that "moment" could compare to the "moment" that changed the national pastime and the nation shows how wrong you are.

Secretariat wins the Belmont
Sox come back from 0-3 vs the Yankees and eventually break the curse
Miracle on Ice
Sid Bream slides home safe to send the Braves to the World Series
Jack wins the Masters at age 46
Wilt scores 100 points
Michael Phelps
USWNT beats China to win the World Cup in a shootout
and many more. The Jackie Robinson thing is more about his lasting impact than a great "moment. The two that stand out for me are Secretariat's annihilation of the field in the Belmont and Jack winning the Masters at 46. We'll probably never see the like of those again.

Back