• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

https://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/32890-Glenn-Greenwald

Maybe we should take the Greenwald discussion over to the Greenwald thread that ChrisL started last year.
Which has three or four discussions that were started over the course of a year and pretty much represents all greenwald discussion during 2021, which a bunch of people seemed to participate in for a discussion that apparently nobody cares about. Looks very much like a bunch of other subject threads on this board that get revisited from time to time over the year.

of course that occurred after the same people tried to make a big issue about the fact that I posted about Glenn Greenwald.

Last edited:
Which has three or four discussions that were started over the course of a year and pretty much represents all greenwald discussion during 2021, which a bunch of people seemed to participate in for a discussion that apparently nobody cares about.

You seem a little defensive.

This is one rant that is welcome (technically) yet interminable.

Weird that an entire political theory and group of people discussed about once a quarter is just not allowed on an all topics welcome thread. Good work here, guys.

I guess we can go back to just trashing liberals.

Not sure if I'm ok to post this -- mods, feel free to delete if it is inappropriate:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/05/09/are-millennial-leftists-aging-into-right-wingers/

"Many millennial leftists say it openly: They’re apathetic about “social issues.” It’s the economic stuff that really concerns them — and certainly there are plenty of metrics that can be cited to argue millennials face generationally unique economic hardships. But if engagement with this reality rarely rises above a rote denunciation of the capitalist system itself — the continuation of which isn’t exactly an active debate in U.S. politics — then economic malaise probably isn’t going to dictate many votes one way or another.

However, a shared loathing of the liberal establishment is probably the right’s most convincing case for leftist conversion.

In the days of Reagan, or even Newt Gingrich, conservative politics was philosophical and policy-driven. Theoretically at least, voters either supported the “Contract with America” or didn’t. Today, however, the Republican Party has abandoned the idea of even offering a platform: You either hate the cringey, crooked lying libs or you don’t. A left that already enjoys dwelling on the misdeeds of the Democratic elite — “denying” Bernie Sanders the presidency and so on — is an open door for conservatives to push. In time, Democrats devolve in the millennial leftist imagination from being “no better” to objectively worse; the GOP rises from “making some good points” to being actively necessary.

Fueled in part by anti-liberal animus, Sanders-to-Trump voters were a well-documented phenomenon that helped Republicans retake the White House in 2016. Many of those voters never came back, and the Sanders coalition became smaller and more ideological in 2020. Yet the Sanders-to-Trump migration continued, with some polls taken before the 2020 vote suggesting the number of converts could be as high as 15 percent. Doubtless this played a role in Trump increasing his share of the millennial vote by 8 percent."

Political Chat Thread - All Topics & Rants Welcome

Not sure if I'm ok to post this -- mods, feel free to delete if it is inappropriate:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/05/09/are-millennial-leftists-aging-into-right-wingers/

"Many millennial leftists say it openly: They’re apathetic about “social issues.” It’s the economic stuff that really concerns them — and certainly there are plenty of metrics that can be cited to argue millennials face generationally unique economic hardships. But if engagement with this reality rarely rises above a rote denunciation of the capitalist system itself — the continuation of which isn’t exactly an active debate in U.S. politics — then economic malaise probably isn’t going to dictate many votes one way or another.

However, a shared loathing of the liberal establishment is probably the right’s most convincing case for leftist conversion.

In the days of Reagan, or even Newt Gingrich, conservative politics was philosophical and policy-driven. Theoretically at least, voters either supported the “Contract with America” or didn’t. Today, however, the Republican Party has abandoned the idea of even offering a platform: You either hate the cringey, crooked lying libs or you don’t. A left that already enjoys dwelling on the misdeeds of the Democratic elite — “denying” Bernie Sanders the presidency and so on — is an open door for conservatives to push. In time, Democrats devolve in the millennial leftist imagination from being “no better” to objectively worse; the GOP rises from “making some good points” to being actively necessary.

Fueled in part by anti-liberal animus, Sanders-to-Trump voters were a well-documented phenomenon that helped Republicans retake the White House in 2016. Many of those voters never came back, and the Sanders coalition became smaller and more ideological in 2020. Yet the Sanders-to-Trump migration continued, with some polls taken before the 2020 vote suggesting the number of converts could be as high as 15 percent. Doubtless this played a role in Trump increasing his share of the millennial vote by 8 percent."

Yeah this guy doesn’t get it all

His stats are probably right but his analysis on why liberals my age are looking for other alternatives is way off. They’re looking for an alternative because the oligarch Democratic Party isn’t delivering fuck all for them. Minimum wage increase? Nope. Student debt relief? Nope. Rent relief? Nope.

When a party makes promises that it continually doesn’t keep, people naturally look for other options. Especially when the same geriatric leaders remain in place and continue to ignore and borderline mock the needs of their youthful constituents.

Yet another opinion piece from a Liberal who wants to blame everyone else besides himself and his political favorites.

Last edited:
Yeah many unrealistic millennials who don't appreciate bureaucracy, the slow incremental nature of politics, or the fact that their preferred policies aren't nearly as popular as they have convinced themselves that they are, are easy converts to the right. we will see many bkfs
popping up.

Last edited:
Appreciating bureaucracy is a weird fetish, but I’m not a kink shamer.

Appreciating bureaucracy is a weird fetish, but I’m not a kink shamer.
It's appreciating the reality of bureaucracy and not appreciating bureaucracy itself. Also appreciate has two separate contexts and you are misapplying the context that I'm using it in.

Last edited:

Yeah many unrealistic millennials who don't appreciate bureaucracy, the slow incremental nature of politics, or the fact that their preferred policies aren't nearly as popular as they have convinced themselves that they are, are easy converts to the right. we will see many bkfs
popping up.

Translation: shut the fuck up and do what you’re told you young whipper snappers, even if all of our economic policies only benefit people like ourselves.

And you wonder why your political heroes have become Joe Manchin’s bitches

lol saving this for posterity
recognize the full worth of:
"she feels that he does not appreciate her"
synonyms:
value · respect · prize · [more]
be grateful for (something):
"I'd appreciate any information you could give me"
synonyms:
be grateful for · [more]
understand (a situation) fully; recognize the full implications of:

Hey let's pretend i meant the first definition when clearly in the context I meant the last.

Last edited:
Yeah this guy doesn’t get it all

Says this guy doesn't get it. Immediately follows it with remainder of post showing guy gets it.

"In time, Democrats devolve in the millennial leftist imagination from being “no better” to objectively worse; the GOP rises from “making some good points” to being actively necessary."

Yeah, he doesn't nail you at all.

Says this guy doesn't get it. Immediately follows it with remainder of post showing guy gets it.

"In time, Democrats devolve in the millennial leftist imagination from being “no better” to objectively worse; the GOP rises from “making some good points” to being actively necessary."

Yeah, he doesn't nail you at all.

Yea Shoo this guy nails me, because of all the GOP candidates I support and vote for. You really are a dumb ass aren’t you.

If anything you’re far more likely to move to right, you’ll be a law and order sucker living in your suburban home voting for GOP grifters who promise to protect your property. That’s the BKF conversion and your ripe for it.

Yea Shoo this guy nails me, because of all the GOP candidates I support and vote for. You really are a dumb ass aren’t you.

If anything you’re far more likely to move to right, you’ll be a law and order sucker living in your suburban home voting for GOP grifters who promise to protect your property. That’s the BKF conversion and your ripe for it.

OK sugartits -- really good post.

OK sugartits -- really good post.

Don’t fret bud, I plan on spending my remaining years living on the left reminding you Reagan Disciples how much you’ve fucked up our political balance by selling out and moving this nation towards the fascist right.

Don’t fret bud, I plan on spending my remaining years living on the left reminding you Reagan Disciples how much you’ve fucked up our political balance by selling out and moving this nation towards the fascist right.

LOL. ok. As long as you keep talking to your therapist.

Anyways, interesting that the opinion writer who would first claim millennials increasingly care more about financial than social issues would later bring up the context of that claim by championing the corporate sincerity of BLM Oreos and McDonalds rainbow fry boxes.

If we are going to have this stupid fucking argument twice a week, we should occasionally address the actual crux - liberals “appreciation” (understanding??) of bureaucracy and “incremental” politics is based upon their clinging to a Clintonian neo-liberal triangulation strategy from the early 90s that hasn’t worked for 15 years. Their refusal to give up on triangulation has led them to an acceptance of the impossibility of political progress, such that their only avenue to “achieve” anything is supposed cultural progress driven by corporations and elites. When we jaded millennials dismiss the importance of that “progress” or question it’s sincerity, we’re branded as dirtbags and future Conservatives, all the while these same Liberals are fighting us at every turn when we demand to challenge the broken down 2 party political system. We’re “unrealistic” for wanting to overturn a system thats clearly broken by gerrymandering and partisan deadlock.

Back