• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

when I read a tweet I don’t like I usually open their feed and find a bunch of other tweets I don’t like. It’s not a revelation. If it’s any consolation I don’t post anything on the tunnels expecting either of you to like.
Congrats on finding a bunch of tweets you don’t like.

he knows that, he’s just delegitimizing the protest. This is just the “protestors from out of town” cliche that authoritarians repeat. The people here are good people, these protestors aren’t from around here. They’re just here to agitate and make trouble.
Whatever - I'm going to treat these questions as legitimate to help get some of these misconceptions off of our board.

You are not permitted to ask questions on this here political chat thread. If you do, expect condescension, ridicule, and various smarmy hashtags, and to be told you mean something other than you actually mean. It's science.
What are you talking about? Seriously.

I'm answering both Biff's and bym's questions.

bym seems to be concern trolling because he's not engaging with the substance of any of my posts.

I'm sure Biff is trolling, but I happen to know a lot of people involved in these movements on the ground and maybe I can help clear up some misinformation in the process for the folks on here who do legitimately want to know what's happening.

Cool. Strick doesn't want anyone to exercise 1st amendment right to criticize (or protest) protesters who engage in violent and/or anti-semitic rhetoric. Makes sense.
Shoo - take a step back and a deep breath. Seriously.

I'm responding to bym's line of argumentation that because there are not currently domestic protest movements oriented towards humanitarian crises in the DRC, Sudan, and China that this fact somewhat de-legitimizes the pro-Palestine movement.

Curiously, bym doesn't seem concerned with the pro-Ukraine movement along those same lines, which is similarly popular domestically and also supported by US government and its resources.

What are you talking about? Seriously.

I'm answering both Biff's and bym's questions.

bym seems to be concern trolling because he's not engaging with the substance of any of my posts.

I'm sure Biff is trolling, but I happen to know a lot of people involved in these movements on the ground and maybe I can help clear up some misinformation in the process for the folks on here who do legitimately want to know what's happening.
Again, you don't see yourself at all. You're insanely condescending and obnoxious and dismissive, and then constantly cry about people not engaging in the substance of your posts when you don't engage in theirs. You also seem to be under the impression that you are always the smartest guy in the room and know more than anyone else and have to exasperatingly explain everything to everyone. It's old.

Apologies for engaging. I think I've answered every question you've asked of me. I'm not going to address any cute points though.

I don't really get confusion around the idea that there would be US-based protests around humanitarian crises that the US government is openly and directly involved in (Palestine, Ukraine, etc) and that there would not be around humanitarian crises that the US government is not openly and directly involved in. Especially when you factor in US-based news coverage of each one.

Seems pretty logically consistent to me

Again, you don't see yourself at all. You're insanely condescending and obnoxious and dismissive, and then constantly cry about people not engaging in the substance of your posts when you don't engage in theirs. You also seem to be under the impression that you are always the smartest guy in the room and know more than anyone else and have to exasperatingly explain everything to everyone. It's old.
What did I not engage with, Shoo?

Did you somehow find out that I was employed as an intramural referee as part of my college work study, and this is some weird transference dynamic?

You're projecting quite a bit. I typically only engage with topics that I know a good deal about on the Tunnels.

I don't really get confusion around the idea that there would be US-based protests around humanitarian crises that the US government is openly and directly involved in (Palestine, Ukraine, etc) and that there would not be around humanitarian crises that the US government is not openly and directly involved in. Especially when you factor in US-based news coverage of each one.

Somehow, pointing this out makes one condescending and pretentious.

These protesters state that one of their goals is to force their university to divest from firms that profit from the latest conflict. These same firms profit from wars continuously.

Apologies for engaging. I think I've answered every question you've asked of me. I'm not going to address any cute points though.
What cute points, bym? I have provided a lot of information in good faith, and you haven't responded to any of it.

You seem set on your perspective that protesting against Israel is hypocritical because you are not aware of adequate protesting for other humanitarian causes like DRC, Sudan, and China. Am I misrepresenting or misunderstanding your point?

These protesters state that one of their goals is to force their university to divest from firms that profit from the latest conflict. These same firms profit from wars continuously.
I don't have any idea what this really has to do with what I said, but I'd love it if Wake Forest limited the amount that they profit based on people dying in wars! That would be great!

What's wrong with this? That's something that students (consumers) should be able to request of their institution. It's also entirely possible and directed towards an appropriate institutional target, unlike many protest demands.

Back