• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BillBrasky Memorial Political Chat Thread

Where are these Ukraine protests, particularly recently as Republicans kept blocking aid?
Except we ended up providing the aid. I saw a good deal of outrage in newspapers and among pundits when Republicans were blocking aid. When "your side" more or less agrees on framing and ideal outcomes, why would you protest them? Dems and left-leaning media and pundits agree that we should support Ukraine in its war with Russia.

Students and activists have been staging various divestment protests all over America for as long as I can remember.

Students and activists have been staging various divestment protests all over America for as long as I can remember.
yep.

when i was in college, it was targeting Coke products and fossil fuels

when some of you were in college, it was targeting investments in apartheid South Africa

What cute points, bym? I have provided a lot of information in good faith, and you haven't responded to any of it.

You seem set on your perspective that protesting against Israel is hypocritical because you are not aware of adequate protesting for other humanitarian causes like DRC, Sudan, and China. Am I misrepresenting or misunderstanding your point?
I think this is one.

I might ask why you haven't protested any of these crises if you are indeed concerned about what is happening in these places.

I don't necessarily think protesting against Israel is hypocritical. I do think it's more socially popular to be part of that movement and less socially popular to be part of the others.

I don't necessarily think protesting against Israel is hypocritical. I do think it's more socially popular to be part of that movement and less socially popular to be part of the others.
Sure, but you could have just come out and posted that pages ago instead of letting 5 different people explain to you why Israel-Gaza is most relevant at the moment.

I think this is one.

That's fair. I'm sorry.

But can you please engage with the point about US-involvement as a necessary condition for domestic protest movements? I'm not plugged in at all really to international movements, but I do read lots of commentary from folks who are advocating against the villains in these other humanitarian crises. They're just not connected directly to US-based investment. I think the "scene" is pretty coherent, but I could be wrong.

Strick, I've attached some of your condescending, dismissive, and cute posts from just the last 45 minutes or so. I'll start keeping a repository and share it with you quarterly. Good job chasing off bym for asking a question
I appreciate your dedication to Biden on here,

I'm not comfortable with reactionaries and goys deciding what is and what isn't antisemitism (or even contributing to the debate, for that matter)

No, I found most of what happened on January 6 to be insurrectionist. I don't recall there being much anti-semitism, unless you're confusing 1/6 with 10/7.

#1 is not anti-semitic
#2 is anti-semitic
#3 was actually a zionist campus organizer's sign (you can tell bc they spelled Al-Qassam as "Al-Qasam," which is a spelling that's distinctly Israeli (and they wore their keffiyah incorrectly, not that this registers to most people, so I'm not gonna hold it against anyone.)

I hope that helps.

you're gonna be shocked when you look at how Israel (or any country, really - see mdmh's post) talks about its territory

spoiler alert: they use almost verbatim language lol

i don't think it means what you think it means

it's just neo-All Lives Matter

Whatever - I'm going to treat these questions as legitimate to help get some of these misconceptions off of our board.

Have you protested any of these relevant international humanitarian this year or in previous years, or do they only concern you when it comes to pro-Palestine protest?

then i would advise them to not criticize the people who are, tbf

I might ask why you haven't protested any of these crises if you are indeed concerned about what is happening in these places.

I don't have any idea what this really has to do with what I said, but I'd love it if Wake Forest limited the amount that they profit based on people dying in wars! That would be great!

The point is that you can go protest any of this university or US involvement in genocide or or carpetbombing whatever you want to call it at literally anytime and it will be just as relevant.

And you also wouldn't be doing it while standing next to a number of people who are loudly chanting terrorist slogans.

Last edited:
Strick, I've attached some of your condescending, dismissive, and cute posts from just the last 45 minutes or so. I'll start keeping a repository and share it with you quarterly. Good job chasing off bym for asking a question
Some of these are certainly cute, but I'm having trouble seeing how #2, #3, #4, #5, and #6 are condescending, dismissive, and/or cute.

I clearly set something off in you, so you should probably put me on ignore. This is not healthy behavior imo.

Except we ended up providing the aid. I saw a good deal of outrage in newspapers and among pundits when Republicans were blocking aid. When "your side" more or less agrees on framing and ideal outcomes, why would you protest them? Dems and left-leaning media and pundits agree that we should support Ukraine in its war with Russia.
Thanks, yes, it literally just happened. Where were the protests against Republicans blocking aid - what are they up to, about 80k dead Ukrainians? Wondering where the humanitarian support is for those lives (given that the US is heavily involved there).

Some of these are certainly cute, but I'm having trouble seeing how #2, #3, #4, #5, and #6 are condescending, dismissive, and/or cute.

I clearly set something off in you, so you should probably put me on ignore. This is not healthy behavior imo.
LOL - ok, man. If you can't see it, you can't be helped. Yes, I'm the one engaging in unhealthy behavior. You're a real piece of work. Not gonna put you on ignore, just going to call out your dickishness.

Thanks, yes, it literally just happened. Where were the protests against Republicans blocking aid - what are they up to, about 80k dead Ukrainians? Wondering where the humanitarian support is for those lives (given that the US is heavily involved there).
I think there is a lot of it, but reasonable minds may differ. On my morning dog walk, there are no less than 5 Ukranian flags being flown by people who I'm pretty sure are not Ukranian. And there were countless pieces published and reported in the mainstream media that were extremely critical of Republicans blocking aid.

It's not politically expedient to protest a president and congressional leadership that are actively trying to rectify the situation. That's a big difference, imo, from the situation in Israel/Palestine, where protesters have been able to meaningfully move an extremely stubborn president and congressional leadership to 1) demand a conditional ceasefire and 2) stop providing military aid to Israel without conditions pertaining to crimes against humanity, genocide, etc. (whatever you want to call it - I don't have the energy to debate that right now)

The point is that yo can go protest any of this university or US involvement in genocide or or carpetbombing whatever you want to call it at literally anytime and it will be just as relevant.
if you are so confident that this is widely held knowledge, please provide a few examples of current world crisis and military conflicts to which American government and institutions are directly involved and openly supporting to the tune of billions of dollars.

LOL - ok, man. If you can't see it, you can't be helped. Yes, I'm the one engaging in unhealthy behavior. You're a real piece of work. Not gonna put you on ignore, just going to call out your dickishness.
I'm still waiting for a substantive post from you on any of these topics. I don't think anybody else is at this point.

if you are so confident that this is widely held knowledge, please provide a few examples of current world crisis and military conflicts to which American government and institutions are directly involved and openly supporting to the tune of billions of dollars.

Why ? These "students" have obviously done the research for us. If the university holds stocks that profit off of this conflict, surely they're making money off of every other conflict. They don't just sit on the sidelines waiting for the the US to start shoveling money at a problem.

Back