• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston Chosen as US Olympic Bid for 2024

IOC loves that dirty water

Really disappointed Brews hasn't made an appearance in this thread yet.

What are the cost projections? Seems cities way overspend for the benefit bestowed by hosting the Olympics.

Boston is an awesome city. But I'd hate to live there during the Olympics. I'm thinking the subway would be like the green line on Red Sox game days, but all the time. (Too bad it isn't the winter Olympics, that would all but guarantee that NHL players would go given the power of the Bruins owner.)

just take two weeks off of work and attend world class sporting events close to home.....doesn't sound too bad to me

just take two weeks off of work and attend world class sporting events close to home.....doesn't sound too bad to me

If I'm taking two weeks off work, I'm spending that time doing something better than watching track and field and swimming.

Just thankful it's not in DC. We can't get our act together on the roads with the people we have, much less a massive influx of Olympics goers. Good for Boston, hope they put on a great Olympics.

Year's, the T would be an absolute shitshow. I'm not really sure how they would deal with that.

The actual infrastructure for events would be pretty easy, though. The Garden and Agganis are in good shape, and I don't see why Gillette (as well as the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence) wouldn't be an option if they beef up the commuter rail lines to the south (I would kill for this for entirely selfish reasons). It's currently only a 30-40 minute train ride there, so it's not hard to imagine an express line putting that ride under 30 minutes.

Edit: Whoops, I forgot that they already have an express line to Foxboro for events. There were talks of the MBTA buying the tracks to Foxboro in 2010 that apparently stalled. It's currently a freight track that the MBTA uses on game days.

I dunno. I don't really want them here, because as others have said, living in the area would really suck for a month. But I'm not a MA taxpayer right now, and they would be pretty cool to attend, so what the hell?

Maybe baseball will be reinstated as an Olympic sport by then so we can get a new Sox stadium out of it?

Last edited:
Really disappointed Brews hasn't made an appearance in this thread yet.

B63XrdFCQAALQpZ.jpg

Reactions: Ayo
If I'm taking two weeks off work, I'm spending that time doing something better than watching track and field and swimming.

Before you take time off, don't you first have to have time on?

Having experienced public transportation last year for the Boston Marathon... Woof, can't even imagine how they're going to handle Olympic traffic.

Beautiful city and had a great time walking places otherwise.

This is like John McCain winning the GOP nomination. Might as well throw a city with no fucking chance of hosting the Olympics a bone, when its obvious that no US city has a shot that time around. Its going to either Paris or Rome. Europe has never gone three cycles without hosting.

Back