• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boston Marathon Bombing - Sgt McCarthy > PhDeac

Why? They are pretty much the only two intentional, non-self-defense killings of other people legally allowed within in the United States. They share a lot of common elements, and are really almost identical. It is killing permitted for someone else's motivating factors. It is a third party stepping in and saying "for reasons I/we deem appropriate, you do not deserve to live". At its root, I don't see much difference between the two.

You're assuming that others agree with your definition of "people".

You don't see much difference between the killing of a fetus by its mother because its presence is unwanted or inconvenient and the killing of (for instance) a convicted mass murderer by the government because society had deemed his life forfeit due to his conscious actions?

I can see how people can justify a difference to themselves, but I don't think there is much of one. In both cases one person is choosing to legally end the life of another, regardless of the reasoning behind it.

Call me crazy, but my views on the proper role of the death penalty in our society are influenced by what the SCOTUS says is the proper role of the death penalty in our society.

But not about a right to healthcare

I might opt for the death penalty over 23 hours of lockdown in a cell in Supermax in Florence.

I can see how people can justify a difference to themselves, but I don't think there is much of one. In both cases one person is choosing to legally end the life of another, regardless of the reasoning behind it.

So you don't see much of a difference between killing someone in self defense and killing someone for the money in their pocket? In both cases one person is choosing to end the life of another.

Trying to say that abortion and capital punishment are basically the same because a life is being taken seems lazy to me.

So you don't see much of a difference between killing someone in self defense and killing someone for the money in their pocket? In both cases one person is choosing to end the life of another.

Trying to say that abortion and capital punishment are basically the same because a life is being taken seems lazy to me.

No, I see the difference in the self defense situation. But that difference is not present in the abortion or capital punishment situations (other than the 1% "life of the mother" situation that I don't think anybody disagrees with).

No, I see the difference in the self defense situation. But that difference is not present in the abortion or capital punishment situations (other than the 1% "life of the mother" situation that I don't think anybody disagrees with).

THAT difference may not be present, but a difference exists, nonetheless - and a big difference, IMO. It is strange that you can see one and not the other.

Man, just went back and read this thread from page 1 to the moment Dzhohkar was apprehended, and it is fascinating. The initial shock. The reactions to photos of the scene. The theories and conjectures on who did it. The reddit detectives. The misinformation. The big reveal of the suspects. The manhunt. Sgt. McCarthy effing everything up on the police scanner.

What a crazy week that was.

Man, just went back and read this thread from page 1 to the moment Dzhohkar was apprehended, and it is fascinating. The initial shock. The reactions to photos of the scene. The theories and conjectures on who did it. The reddit detectives. The misinformation. The big reveal of the suspects. The manhunt. Sgt. McCarthy effing everything up on the police scanner.

What a crazy week that was.

I spent a couple of hours re-reading it several weeks ago. Just crazy stuff, especially when you read it retrospectively.

Back