• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bowl projections

This assumes that BC beats us, since they have to win to get to six.

Yes, that is why I put that in there basically like SB Nation had it from their website. Army has 6 wins but only 5 count right now as they beat 1AA Layfayette & Morgan State, so they have to pull off a miracle against 8-2 Navy on Dec 10 to be bowl eligible--same as BC has to beat us. Or both could go with APR status.

Quick Lane--Dec 26--Boston College vs Army [** provided both become eligible]

Right now there are only 64 teams qualified to fill the 80 spots for the bowls according to Jerry Palm of CBS sports. 17 teams are just 1 win away. They are in order of their APR: Northwestern, Vandy, North Texas, BC, Indiana, Maryland, Texas, Miami[O], NC State, Ariz St, Ole Miss, UTSA, Sou Miss, Akron, SMU & TCU. Plus Army [plays Navy after bowl spots are set-first up if not enough team and they beat Navy] & 5-7 Hawaii which plays UMass [a win makes them 6-7 and they go first over 5-7 teams]

Army is a lock. No way will 80 teams qualify and they are 1st choice after that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I had no idea it was possible for a 5-7 team to make a bowl. Might be time to start whittling these f-ing things down, NCAA.

I had no idea it was possible for a 5-7 team to make a bowl. Might be time to start whittling these f-ing things down, NCAA.

Three 5-7 teams went to bowl games last year:

Nebraska, Minnesota, San Jose St. taking 5-7 records to bowl
Eric Olson | The Associated Press

Last Updated - Dec 6, 2015 21:47 EST

Nebraska, Minnesota and San Jose State are being rewarded for their work in the classroom, not for what they did on the football field. Those were the three 5-7 teams needed to fill out the record 80 bowl slots, and on Sunday they found out their destinations.

Nebraska will play UCLA (8-4) in the Foster Farms Bowl on Dec. 26 in Santa Clara, California. Minnesota is matched against Central Michigan (7-5) in the Quick Lane Bowl on Dec. 28 in Detroit. San Jose State goes across the country to meet Georgia State (6-6) in the Cure Bowl on Dec. 19 in Orlando, Florida.

From 2001 through 2014, a total of four teams went to bowls with losing records. But this year only 77 teams had at least six victories and a .500 record — the minimum to be eligible for a bowl bid — so the three 5-7s received bids.

They already put a three-year moratorium on new bowl games. You can't just pull bowls when they are in the middle of their contract. They are huge moneymakers for schools and useful recruiting tools.

I agree that there are too many of them, but it will take time to reduce them. Just like everything else, everybody wants a piece of the pie (revenue), so it's hard to say no when there's so much money at stake.

They already put a three-year moratorium on new bowl games. You can't just pull bowls when they are in the middle of their contract. They are huge moneymakers for schools and useful recruiting tools.

I agree that there are too many of them, but it will take time to reduce them. Just like everything else, everybody wants a piece of the pie (revenue), so it's hard to say no when there's so much money at stake.

Not to mention, we are one of the schools that would get hosed if, for example, 7-5 was the requirement to get into a bowl and there were more 7-5 teams than bowl slots. Same for 6-6.

We were bowl eligible Grobe's 1st year and got left out. Same was true for 2 of Dooley's seasons.

Wake should be in favor of an overabundance of bowls.

so, when will we know? Sunday after next after the final CFP is unveiled or later in the week?

Agree that they are useful recruiting tools, but question that some of them are huge moneymakers for the schools. How much net money did WF make when we played in the Aloha Bowl on Christmas Day in 1999?

Sun Belt and Big 12 have games on Dec 3rd. Conference CGs on the 3rd also. Army-Navy on the 10th

The forgotten added value that bowl games bring is an extra month of practice. That extra month can prove key in early season games the following year, as well as sorting out any personnel/depth chart issues.

The Aloha bowl is the most expensive bowl to play in due to the cost of travel and lodging, and the lack of a major payout. Would guess that WF suffered a net loss in bowl expenses versus bowl revenues received.

That said, the 1999 Aloha Bowl appearance helped WF's profile and recruiting which led to better players when Grobe first started at WF in 2000 which led to the program being able to recruit the players that won the ACC 2006, which was a priceless experience for anyone associated with WF.

Agree that they are useful recruiting tools, but question that some of them are huge moneymakers for the schools. How much net money did WF make when we played in the Aloha Bowl on Christmas Day in 1999?

I think the money that is paid up front to get to the location is a delayed payoff when you factor in all the extra practices and the money from playing on a national stage with nobody else playing.

Almost ever coach worth a damn cites the extra practice as critical to building the foundation of the next year. Getting that extra work in is very beneficial.

I think the money that is paid up front to get to the location is a delayed payoff when you factor in all the extra practices and the money from playing on a national stage with nobody else playing.

Almost ever coach worth a damn cites the extra practice as critical to building the foundation of the next year. Getting that extra work in is very beneficial.

Practicing the same awful blocking techniques since Clawson's first day, won't help anybody but our Front 7. It will build up their confidence. I'm happy for the seniors who got us over the hump. Only the defense should get the swag bags.

I would estimate that 1/3 to 1/2 are net losers to the school, especially when you couple in the cost of buying in all the required bowl tickets a school has to promise to sell AND the bowl bonuses that are given out to head coach & assistant coaches. Factor in travel costs for players, coaches & key boosters, it is a big expense. But on the pro side you get the extra practice time, which with a young team is great and also with almost 2/3 of the teams in 1A football getting to go now [80 of about 135], a coach/school can't not go for long and be looked at as being "in the game" if they aren't in bowls every year. Based on the record Peahead Walker had at Wake Forest, he would have gone to about 10 bowl games--that would have been legendary!

I understand some people wanting to play more games. What makes no sense to me is thinking that you have done something special and qualified to "go to a bowl" when you have two 6-6 teams playing a game in the middle of December. When two-thirds of FBS schools play in a "bowl" game each year, it basically becomes just another game for most of those 80 teams. Making a bowl game used to be special. Now you have to be really awful not to go to a bowl game.

If you just want to play more games, why not just lobby the NCAA to extend the regular season to 13 games....because for all practical purposes, that's really what two 6-6 teams are doing every year. In the 1950s, most colleges played a 9-game schedule. When I was at Wake everyone played a 10-game schedule. Then the NCAA went to an 11-game schedule....then to a 12-game schedule. So why not just go to a 13-game schedule, instead of fooling yourself into thinking that you are "bowl-worthy" if you can go 6-6....or even 5-7 in a few circumstances?

This entire thinking that "We had a successful season. We made a bowl game!" when a team goes 6-6....especially with a totally crappy schedule....is just delusional. What that really means is that we didn't have another disastrous season. As I said, I understand the reasoning for wanting to play another game. It's just that a 7-5 or 6-6 WF team playing the 6-6 UTSA Roadrunners at Shreveport in mid-December doesn't have much of a "bowl game feeling" to me.

I understand some people wanting to play more games. What makes no sense to me is thinking that you have done something special and qualified to "go to a bowl" when you have two 6-6 teams playing a game in the middle of December. When two-thirds of FBS schools play in a "bowl" game each year, it basically becomes just another game for most of those 80 teams. Making a bowl game used to be special. Now you have to be really awful not to go to a bowl game.

If you just want to play more games, why not just lobby the NCAA to extend the regular season to 13 games....because for all practical purposes, that's really what two 6-6 teams are doing every year. In the 1950s, most colleges played a 9-game schedule. When I was at Wake everyone played a 10-game schedule. Then the NCAA went to an 11-game schedule....then to a 12-game schedule. So why not just go to a 13-game schedule, instead of fooling yourself into thinking that you are "bowl-worthy" if you can go 6-6....or even 5-7 in a few circumstances?

This entire thinking that "We had a successful season. We made a bowl game!" when a team goes 6-6....especially with a totally crappy schedule....is just delusional. What that really means is that we didn't have another disastrous season. As I said, I understand the reasoning for wanting to play another game. It's just that a 7-5 or 6-6 WF team playing the 6-6 UTSA Roadrunners at Shreveport in mid-December doesn't have much of a "bowl game feeling" to me.

well, that bowl's been around since 1976, well before the more modern era of bowl expansion.

Practicing the same awful blocking techniques since Clawson's first day, won't help anybody but our Front 7. It will build up their confidence. I'm happy for the seniors who got us over the hump. Only the defense should get the swag bags.

Dude lay off the blocking techniques for a bit. It's the same thing every post.

so, when will we know? Sunday after next after the final CFP is unveiled or later in the week?

Sunday December 4--The Army/Navy game will have no bearing as stated above in what I found. Army has to win that game to be eligible since they won 2 1AA games--they get to fill in a hole over 5 win teams apparently should they somehow beat Navy.

The final selection committee rankings of 2016 will be released on Selection Day, Sunday, December 4. At this time, the selection committee will announce Playoff Semifinal matchups, New Year's bowl pairings, and the final Top 25 exclusively via College Football Playoff Selection Day programming on ESPN

Most Wake fans are generally hoping that Wake will win this weekend and go 7-5 (4-4) and be a sure-fire bowl team. At the same time an anti-fan in Randleman will be pulling for a loss.

Back