• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

British Open

I hope Dustin Johnson makes a birdie coming home to get in the last group with Rory tomorrow. One of them is bound to blow up tomorrow.

You got your wish. Rory leads by 4 going into the weekend. Looks like another snoozefest/runaway major. The quality of chasers is better than the US Open though.

You got your wish. Rory leads by 4 going into the weekend. Looks like another snoozefest/runaway major. The quality of chasers is better than the US Open though.

Ooo, don't jinx Rory. Remember his 80 Sunday at Augusta.

Yes, i should have said until he was in 40's.

And you'd still be wrong. He missed a cut in '63 (won 2 majors that year), '67,'68, and '78. That stretch from '68-'78 he made 39 straight cuts. Tiger tied him with 39 straight cuts in '96-'06. As a pro, Tiger has missed 3 cuts in majors.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Nicklaus missed the cut in his first British Open. I think he was like 17 or 18 but missing cuts is the way most greats bookend their careers, though the "z" bookend is a little bigger than the "a."

I'm pretty sure Nicklaus missed the cut in his first British Open. I think he was like 17 or 18 but missing cuts is the way most greats bookend their careers, though the "z" bookend is a little bigger than the "a."

Yeah, I left those out. I started Nicklaus at 23 and Tiger when he became a pro (20 or 21).

8 players birdied #18 to make the cut on the number. Some serious talent among those 8: Tiger, Snedeker, Day, Zach and Luke Donald all were ranked in the top 17 in the world at the end of 2013.

The camerawork and studio production is pretty underwhelming for a major. Cameras on the course repeatedly lose the ball and just kind of pan around aimlessly. At other times we get jostled images as the cameraman is walking the course. And the cellphone feedback/reverb while the studio guys are commenting is just bush league. It's really picked up since Tirico and the 8 o'clock crew came on this morning.

But no one really cares any more since Tiger's finished. Guess I'll flip it over to Creflo Dollar or Joel Osteen for some soul purification.

Watching the "international coverage" (British) on one of the DirectTV extra channels....much better coverage and commentary than the ESPN broadcast....much better commentary than I remember from an US network's golf coverage....

I agree ESPN didn't bring their A game this week, but if you compare it to their coverage of the Women's British last week it's night and day. ESPN has so few events they cover without the support of NBC/CBS on the weekend I wonder if they're still equipped to properly cover golf these days. US Open next year from FOX should be interesting too.

Rory's dad and his buddies really happy Sergio is screwing up the Par 3:

"HOYLAKE, England -- According to the BBC's Andrew Cotter, 10 years ago Rory McIlroy's father, Gerry, and three friends made a legal bet of 400 British pounds (100 each, equivalent to $170.87 currently) that the then-15-year-old would win the Open Championship by the age of 26.

On Sunday, the Northern Irishman will be 25 years, 2 months and 16 days, meaning his father and friends would collect 200,000 pounds (roughly $341,730). Though the bet actually stipulated that the younger McIlroy would win by the time he was 25, Cotter confirmed that even though McIlroy's 25th birthday has passed, the wager still counts as he has not yet turned 26."

I really am pulling for Sergio. It would be a fantastic thing for his career and would be a hell of a story

I really am pulling for Sergio. It would be a fantastic thing for his career and would be a hell of a story

Huh? I grant that he's matured some and isn't the complete horse's ass he used to be. But he's still 1 of the less likeable players on tour. Speaking of which, also glad Fowler didn't win.

Back