• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bruce Weber: Fired... Targeting Shaka (who says no)

Hell, can we get Bruce Weber? I hear he's looking for a job.

I would take him in an instant. I think he would sync better with a smaller school.

Amazing how every thread evolves into a Bzzz out thread.

In 2001, Wainwright, Prosser, Giannini, and Beilein had much more in common with the Shaka Smart of today than with the Jeff [Redacted] of 2010. They were all proven mid-major coaches. Smart is a proven mid-major coach.

Forget about the financial constraints on firing [Redacted] and replacing him with a new coach. There is nothing in Wellman's history to indicate that he would target a coach like Smart. He considered Jerry Wainwright, John Beilein, and Dr. John Giannini before hiring Skip Prosser. He then fired Gaudio in favor of Jeff [Redacted]. Similar hiring patterns exist in the other revenue sports.

Hiring an up-and-comer is not Wellman's style, and never has been. If Smart is the next WF basketball coach, it will be because someone other than Wellman hired him.

This. I don't believe that Wellman is going to fire Bzz now, or that he will make a good decision next year with either extending Bzz, or hiring another coach.

In 2001, Wainwright, Prosser, Giannini, and Beilein had much more in common with the Shaka Smart of today than with the Jeff [Redacted] of 2010. They were all proven mid-major coaches. Smart is a proven mid-major coach.

Shaka is younger than that group, but he seems to have a lot of Skip in him.

I think we overestimate the "prestige of our once proud basketball tradition". Come on. Two ACC championships in the last 40 years. No final fours.

The value of the Wake job has always been the ACC. With the continuing decline of the ACC that value is really sinking.

Shaka is younger than that group, but he seems to have a lot of Skip in him.

True.

He's, what, 10-12 years younger while [Redacted] was 10-12 years older.

True.

He's, what, 10-12 years younger while [Redacted] was 10-12 years older.

Actually isn't Shaka about 34/35? Wasn't [Redacted] about 57 when hired?

If I'm not too far off Skip was about 50/51 when he was hired at Wake.

That's not what my sources down at the Sun City Hilton Head Active Adult Community tell me.

We know Wellman keeps his coaching hiring process very close to the vest so I would have no information. As I said, it's all a guess.

You're really a wonderful workhorse of negativity. You have stamina, I'll give you that.

Actually isn't Shaka about 34/35? Wasn't [Redacted] about 57 when hired?

If I'm not too far off Skip was about 50/51 when he was hired at Wake.

Yes, Skip was a bit older than I thought he was. I believe the other 3 were in the 42-47 range, but I could be wrong (and I honestly don't care enough to look it up).

I was pretty sure Skip was older than you thought. I like Shaka.

I think we overestimate the "prestige of our once proud basketball tradition". Come on. Two ACC championships in the last 40 years. No final fours.

The value of the Wake job has always been the ACC. With the continuing decline of the ACC that value is really sinking.

Yeah, we suck...
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...oject=UNCDUKE20120207&articleTabs=interactive

We're only a Top 25 or better basketball job that also happens to be in the ACC, on Tobacco Road, out of 345 NCAA Div 1 bball schools.

On the contrary, the value of the Wake job has been torn down by the 4-5 posters who constantly try to feed us the "Bzz is the best we could get" BS in explaining their support for him.

Last edited:
You're really a wonderful workhorse of negativity. You have stamina, I'll give you that.

Don't worry, half-time is coming up, and if our team is any indication, I'll fall flat right out of the gate.

On the contrary, the value of the Wake job has been torn down by the 4-5 posters who constantly try to feed us the "Bzz is the best we could get" BS in explaining their support for him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You do realize that about 104 people regularly read this board? And they are not handing out trophies based on Tim Duncan and Chris Paul's contracts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You do realize that about 104 people regularly read this board? And they are not handing out trophies based on Tim Duncan and Chris Paul's contracts?

What's your point? You think Bzz was the best we could do? The floor is yours...

hw0iyp.jpg

Now that your 104 # is sufficiently blown out of the water... Who said anything about handing out trophies based on the contracts of Duncan or Paul? You said most Wake fans overestimate the value of the Wake job and I provided evidence that the Wake job is a great job that can attract top talent to play in a top conference in the heart of college basketball country.

hw0iyp.jpg

Now that your 104 # is sufficiently blown out of the water... Who said anything about handing out trophies based on the contracts of Duncan or Paul? You said most Wake fans overestimate the value of the Wake job and I provided evidence that the Wake job is a great job that can attract top talent to play in a top conference in the heart of college basketball country.

You did read your link didn't you?

Back