• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Charlotte FC / MLS Thread

and nothing for STHs that already reupped

but I’m genuinely happy about the move — gotta get fans to the games

and nothing for STHs that already reupped

but I’m genuinely happy about the move — gotta get fans to the games
The Atl game had a good crowd earlier this year. I just wish they had a smaller venue that folks would actually be able to get to easier. I thought the stadium south of the city was good, but I get why the struggled there (bad location with no surrround).

The Atl game had a good crowd earlier this year. I just wish they had a smaller venue that folks would actually be able to get to easier. I thought the stadium south of the city was good, but I get why the struggled there (bad location with no surrround).
Soldier Field is not that hard to get to -- 20 minute walk from a few el stops and a 10 minute walk from a southbound commuter rail line

they need to run buses from downtown to the stadium like they do for Bears games

but yes, smaller would be nice

I do think the current owner is pointing the ship in the right direction for the Fire. Agree on Soldier Field generally. But that size issue is real (and Chicago is just generally a pain in the ass to get anywhere - we are leaving the Western burbs in an hour to get downtown, eat and to the game (ridiculous)).

Wish I felt that way about MNUFC ownership who I think is squandering a lot of goodwill by holding onto Heath for so long.

we are leaving the Western burbs in an hour to get downtown, eat and to the game (ridiculous)).
that doesn't seem that ridiculous to me -- leaving three hours before game time with a dinner beforehand from a suburb of the nation's third largest metro area

are you taking the metra?

that doesn't seem that ridiculous to me -- leaving three hours before game time with a dinner beforehand from a suburb of the nation's third largest metro area

are you taking the metra?
Driving. Meeting our daughter downtown. She lives on the far North side of the city. Twin Cities just has us spoiled on convenience. Generally 20-25 minutes to get anywhere you’d like to go. Obviously Chicago has more to see and do. Tradeoffs.

Some of you probably saw my thread about possibly visiting for a Wake football game. Main reason we were originally going to Charlotte was to see Messi Oct 21.

What do you think the odds are that Messi plays that game? I'm guessing under 50 percent now. Which would be a bummer but still looking forward to visiting NC.

Last edited:
Great crowd last night in SF. I knew the Messi effect was real. But it smacks you in the face when you see about 80 percent of the kids/teens in attendance wearing his shirt and a good portion of the older set as well. Different era but my wife (who grew up in Chicago during MJ's prime) said he's bigger than Jordan was back in the day. Hard to disagree. He wasn't even there and just on the hope he might be 62K turned up.

Great crowd last night in SF. I knew the Messi effect was real. But it smacks you in the face when you see about 80 percent of the kids/teens in attendance wearing his shirt and a good portion of the older set as well. Different era but my wife (who grew up in Chicago during MJ's prime) said he's bigger than Jordan was back in the day. Hard to disagree. He wasn't even there and just on the hope he might be 62K turned up.
Hard to compare MJ and Messi though as people had many opportunities over many years to see MJ play. This is the first chance people in the US have had to see Messi play and hard to say how many more chances there will be. Definitely an urgency to see Messi asap.

Some of you probably saw my thread about possibly visiting for a Wake football game. Main reason we were originally going to Charlotte was to see Messi Oct 21.

What do you think the odds are that Messi plays that game? I'm guessing under 50 percent now. Which would be a bummer but still looking forward to visiting NC.

0%. It was always 0% for this match.

First, Messi is hurt, which is why it is now 0%. But even before that, he was never going to play. Let's pretend he's healthy. Argentina have a home WCQ on October 12th vs Paraguay. They then travel to Peru for an away WCQ on October 17th. That match won't finish until after midnight. Then Messi will need to make his way back to Argentina, then Miami. Then he would need to make his way to Charlotte to join the team for a match on field turf, which he has already said he won't play on. He was never going to play in this match.

Unless Miami beats the Supporter Shield winners on Saturday (possible given they're resting players), I believe Miami is eliminated from the playoffs and there is zero % chance Messi plays again.

But hey, that Busquets guy is still showing up...

a non-zero chance the Fire host Miami again for the playoff play-in game in a few weeks

Hard to compare MJ and Messi though as people had many opportunities over many years to see MJ play. This is the first chance people in the US have had to see Messi play and hard to say how many more chances there will be. Definitely an urgency to see Messi asap.
Fair point about the urgency. Very fair in fact. I was a teenager in Chicago and back living in Chicago after college for most of Jordan's career (just like my wife). I couldn't help but be aware of just how iconic he was. And I have to say she has a point. 62K. It might be 50% who were wearing Messi gear. And they showed up knowing he probably wouldn't play, but just hoping he'd be in the building. Like I knew it was a big deal. I was still stunned by how big.

Hope the Fire earned a few more new fans last night, Juice. Game still delivered.

0%. It was always 0% for this match.

First, Messi is hurt, which is why it is now 0%. But even before that, he was never going to play. Let's pretend he's healthy. Argentina have a home WCQ on October 12th vs Paraguay. They then travel to Peru for an away WCQ on October 17th. That match won't finish until after midnight. Then Messi will need to make his way back to Argentina, then Miami. Then he would need to make his way to Charlotte to join the team for a match on field turf, which he has already said he won't play on. He was never going to play in this match.

Must not be too hurt, Argentina just called him up for the WCQs :ROFLMAO:

Back