• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread ♥️ : Support Academic & Railroad Labor! Fuck antisemitism in all forms!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kory where do you stand on indoor surveillance cams? I know we talked about this a few years back-- you recommended me one for my old apartment-- but is the difference for you that it's not actively contributing to a community surveillance state? Because I assume that there's still some Big Tech concerns with that shit, especially since you need subscriptions to unlock most of their features, and they're probs just as hackable?
yeah the paper i wrote was essentially sympathetic to the public/private space divide and basically said if you wanna surveil the inside of your home knock yourself out but once you start pointing it at the street/sidewalk it's a different game

i assume it's all hackable/contributing to Big Data tho

the camera i got after my door got forced in Tennessee would email me a photo if it detected movement so I set it up on a bookshelf inside facing my door and just forgot about it - no app no notifications

There are some shitty people in the world. But fear of shitty people makes a lot of people really shitty. And makes other shitty people really rich.

the kid who burgled my TN apartment took a Roku remote, a NCAA Football 12 disc and a hundred dollar bill from a birthday card I hadn't deposited yet

I only watched Cheers in syndication well after it went off the air, so my first introduction to Kirstie Alley was my mom watching Veronica's Closet, which before googling just now I had mixed up with Suddenly Susan. I also would've sworn that she was on Just Shoot Me, but I looked it up and that was Wendie Malick

90s sitcoms were weird.

Kory where do you stand on indoor surveillance cams? I know we talked about this a few years back-- you recommended me one for my old apartment-- but is the difference for you that it's not actively contributing to a community surveillance state? Because I assume that there's still some Big Tech concerns with that shit, especially since you need subscriptions to unlock most of their features, and they're probs just as hackable?
Use whatever filming apparatus y'all want for your onlyfans. Safe space, bro.

he had a box of other worthless shit but apparently saw the $100 and dropped it?

i get the value of a smart doorbell for certain things like kids and knowing packages are delivered and letting people in remotely or screening visitors you don't want to talk to

but i'm pretty dubious about their broad value in preventing things like package theft or tracking down stolen goods

I genuinely don't know where I stand on this tbh. I do believe Surveillance State Bad, and I've seen plenty of the horrors of nextdoor et al, but I also know personally the feeling of having my space/property violated, and while I know logically that these things aren't doing anything, they also make us by design feel some level of security.

but at the end of the day what scares me the most is that I'm tip toeing a side of the line that biff and plama are both walking
I felt pretty violated for a few weeks yeah

but the critical read in the second bolded line is p crucial to understand I think

i get the value of a smart doorbell for certain things like kids and knowing packages are delivered and letting people in remotely or screening visitors you don't want to talk to

but i'm pretty dubious about their broad value in preventing things like package theft or tracking down stolen goods
kory plz do psychoanalysis

I mean the paper on the libidinal economy of Ring doorbell cams basically writes itself

A pretty fucking good example of the petit objet a I think

We just had somebody come through the neighborhood and steal a bunch of Amazon packages at 3 am.

We just had a new camera installed in the neighborhood after somebody shot at a house about a dozen times.

I’m sure people think around the holidays they must be getting good shot but if they had stolen the package on our porch they would have gotten 3 tubes of diaper cream.
Yeah I had a pair of pink ear muffs stolen off my porch last week that I bought my kid. Hope that person makes good use outta them!

I want security and the Ring doorbell promises this even though I know that it can't really provide it so I just keep returning to the app to watch people a few streets over checking for unlocked doors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back