• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Huge inning. Cubs able to put more good at bats together, take back the momentum and extend the lead. As importantly, they go back on the field with more evidence the slump is over by producing in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings. IIRC, they haven't scored in innings 3-6 in the post season.

59ee002dd6d8e44314eca6a188eb718c.jpg

Can someone get Palma in here and figure out where Gracie took the boys last night?

Last edited:
Rizzo and Russell with 3 hits each. Both hit home runs. Fowler and Zobrist with 2 hits each. Heyward with a timely RBI. Well, four of the five got hits and are smiling.

Special shout out to Zobrist. His bunt single in the fourth inning got things started tonight. Veteran shows teammates the benefit of small ball and they respond. Priceless.

Sickness somewhat subsiding this victory helped. Very good that Russell and Rizzo were cornerstones tonight.

Kershaw pushed to game 6 in Chicago? Huh, lets take this, and let Hendricks go pitch another gem in Wrigley on Saturday.

Still don't know how I feel about taking Lackey out. The way the starters are shaping up, if it goes seven we're sending: Lester tonight and Hendricks on Saturday guaranteed. If there's a game Sunday, it's gonna be Arrieta so Lackey isn't going to get another start but would likely be available out of the bullpen. Looking ahead but not assuming anything, Lester would be good to go Game 1 of the World Series.

Two walks in a row to lead off wasn't great, but I think leaving Lackey out there and making sure the bullpen didn't get overworked if the game turned into an offensive slugfest necessitating a lot of relievers last night.

What's y'alls take on that decision? I trust Maddon, just thinking about it still this morning.

Lackey was missing a lot of his targets in the 5th. With such a deep bullpen, Lester likely able to eat up innings tonight, and a day off on Friday, taking Lackey out was the right call.

I thought Montgomery did a really good job. We'll never know whether Lackey would have done better but after walking two guys at the bottom of the order and then having to face the top of the lineup for the 3rd time, it was a wise decision imo to make the move.

Last edited:
What's y'alls take on that decision? I trust Maddon, just thinking about it still this morning.

It worked. Montgomery was effective. Bullpen pitches shutout baseball. The Cubs win. Hindsight is great.

I would have stayed with Lackey. Pitching shutout baseball. He is proven post season competitor and the type of pitcher I want on the mound with a five run lead. Old school baseball.

Going to the bullpen that early indicated that Maddon questioned the ability of the Cubs to score more than four runs. Fortunately they added to the lead the next two innings. It also shows a lack of trust in Lackey and continues Maddon's tendency to pull the starters early in playoffs. The starting rotation is a major reason the Cubs are in the post season. I don't want the rotation to have any reason to think the manager may not trust them this late in the season.

Maddon is a mix of new age and old school as a manager. He's in the dugout making the decisions. He gets the credit or the blame. It worked and the Cubs evened the series, so everything is good this morning.

It worked. Montgomery was effective. Bullpen pitches shutout baseball. The Cubs win. Hindsight is great.

I would have stayed with Lackey. Pitching shutout baseball. He is proven post season competitor and the type of pitcher I want on the mound with a five run lead. Old school baseball.

Going to the bullpen that early indicated that Maddon questioned the ability of the Cubs to score more than four runs. Fortunately they added to the lead the next two innings. It also shows a lack of trust in Lackey and continues Maddon's tendency to pull the starters early in playoffs. The starting rotation is a major reason the Cubs are in the post season. I don't want the rotation to have any reason to think the manager may not trust them this late in the season.

Maddon is a mix of new age and old school as a manager. He's in the dugout making the decisions. He gets the credit or the blame. It worked and the Cubs evened the series, so everything is good this morning.

You make fair points, but I don't question Maddon if in fact he was concerned about the Cubs scoring more than 4 runs.

On the other hand, he could be thinking about keeping something in the tank for Game 7. Either way, all's well that ends well.

Shutout only on paper. Our pen is really bad with inherited runners - its very frustrating, I get that its tough, but man, it seems like its rare we get out of any man-on situation with our pen. I could easily be proved wrong, and this is an irrational thought, but it seems that way.

Shutout only on paper. Our pen is really bad with inherited runners - its very frustrating, I get that its tough, but man, it seems like its rare we get out of any man-on situation with our pen. I could easily be proved wrong, and this is an irrational thought, but it seems that way.

Yeah, small sample size for the postseason but the Cubs bullpen has had 21 inherited runners and 8 have scored (38.1% IRS). Remaining two teams: Dodgers have had 26 inherited runners and 6 have scored (26.1%) and Cleveland has had 11 inherited runners and 2 have scored (18.2%).

For all I know, Maddon had stats on Lackey versus the next three batters and Montgomery versus the next three and made his decision based on numbers. Today, the sophistication and amount of information at a managers disposal is staggering. The nature of the game has changed on the basis of this information. As disappointed as Lackey was coming out of the game, I suspect he respects his manager for the willingness to make and implement his decisions. It worked and the Cubs won.

I'm beginning to believe Montgomery was a good pick up.

Back