• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Happ has been playing 2B and CF down in the minors, hes not a great CF. His bat will likely get him to Iowa this year - but he is blocked at almost every position - if he can turn into a Zo super utility, there would be options, but I think his only chance of getting real playing time in Chicago in the next 2-3 years will be CF if Almora cant hack it and/or gets moved.

He has LF written all over him. Have not heard anyone suggest CF at the ML level. He could get a call up late this year if he keeps producing. The FO loves his bat. Not Schwarber's power but the FO has a similar feelings in terms of his approach and ability to put the ball in play.

I just have a hard time believing the FO won't make a significant splash right now to line up a couple of cost controlled guys who can start longer term. Lackey is gone. Jake is likely gone. And Lester isn't getting younger. Cease projects right now into the rotation in a couple of years. But they otherwise don't have anyone down on the farm right now that projects as a sure type of thing for a rotation spot - not that one or two can't emerge.

Also, FWIW, I bit the bullet and went to game 6 of the NLCS. Best $500 I ever spent to sit out in the RFBs.

The Jay signing means Fowler is gone. Jay is meh, but whatever, good platoon/insurance with Almora.

Schwarber is loved by the management team even more than the fans, they are enamored with him - unless something crazy is offered, really don't see them moving him. Your point is valid though, getting a Sale or Archer or whoever would take a lot, but would take a lot less if Schwarbino were included - just really dont see if happening.

Jay is a downgrade from Fowler, no doubt. Heyward can play CF but his bat is self-explanatory. I hope a guy in the minors can fill that role.

He has LF written all over him. Have not heard anyone suggest CF at the ML level. He could get a call up late this year if he keeps producing. The FO loves his bat. Not Schwarber's power but the FO has a similar feelings in terms of his approach and ability to put the ball in play.

I just have a hard time believing the FO won't make a significant splash right now to line up a couple of cost controlled guys who can start longer term. Lackey is gone. Jake is likely gone. And Lester isn't getting younger. Cease projects right now into the rotation in a couple of years. But they otherwise don't have anyone down on the farm right now that projects as a sure type of thing for a rotation spot - not that one or two can't emerge.

Also, FWIW, I bit the bullet and went to game 6 of the NLCS. Best $500 I ever spent to sit out in the RFBs.

I think Duane Underwood will likely make a play for the starting rotation within a couple of years. But, agreed that we have the assets to go get an already established player with control - and will make a run for it.

Congrats to the Cubs on their owner's nomination to be a part of the Trump administration.

I think Duane Underwood will likely make a play for the starting rotation within a couple of years. But, agreed that we have the assets to go get an already established player with control - and will make a run for it.

Per the guys at Cubs Den Underwood projects as a bullpen guy. That obviously can change. But those guys are really plugged in and are a great source of info.

Jimenez is a corner OF and he is by all accounts at least a full year away. He's only 19.

Heyward can play any OF position.

Yeah, that was my understanding as well but still considered the best Cubs prospect. I still think they may consider a Heyward move to CF, even if Jimenez stays down for another season. Unless they deal Schwarber, it is really the only plausible situation IMO.

Per the guys at Cubs Den Underwood projects as a bullpen guy. That obviously can change. But those guys are really plugged in and are a great source of info.

Really? Thats news to me, he was projected with having 3 plus pitches and a #2/#3 starter at potential - he had a rough year in AA, but shocked to hear that. I read that dudes stuff on 2080, hadnt seen the bullpen projection - that sucks.

Yeah, that was my understanding as well but still considered the best Cubs prospect. I still think they may consider a Heyward move to CF, even if Jimenez stays down for another season. Unless they deal Schwarber, it is really the only plausible situation IMO.

Jimenez isn't coming up in 2017. Maybe not even in 2018. Hes still really raw.

Also, the OF depth right now is Heyward, Soler, Schwarber, Zo, Jay, Almora and Szczur - likely starting are Schwarbs, Heyward, Almora/Jay platoon when Zo is at 2nd.

My guess is Soler is moved, and if not, Szczur is not gonna be on the team. Maddon can make due with 6 OF since Zo can play all over and Schwarbino can catch at times.

Really? Thats news to me, he was projected with having 3 plus pitches and a #2/#3 starter at potential - he had a rough year in AA, but shocked to hear that. I read that dudes stuff on 2080, hadnt seen the bullpen projection - that sucks.

Not sure it sucks. The two guys that have the most upside as starters from my understanding are Cease and Albertos. Both are still a long ways away from Wrigley. Both have the potential to be top line starters. Albertos in particular is very impressive given he's only 18. De La Cruz is another guy who might be bullpen, might be starter like Underwood. I guess a lot of these projections are based on control. And I also suspect it is often hard for "scouts" to know what the club is thinking because these players are asked to do things in the minors they'd never do in a competitive major league game - like work on pitches. Long way of saying someone saying a guy is better suited for the bullpen can still change. But that is what I've read and the guys at Cubs Den are normally quite good at digesting all the variables and having a good sense. I'm far from an expert but it also seems to me pitchers are harder to project. I don't think anyone, for instance, ever though Hendricks would turn into a #1 / #2 type starter. And I'm sure there are all sorts of phenoms who simply don't pan out. Just seems like the mental make up of a pitcher is super important.

Last edited:
Tinstaapp and all sure, I would be shocked if underwood isn't given every chance to be a starter with what he's got. And yes it does suck if he doesn't pan out - he looked awesome in the low minors. Oh well.

He is still one of their top 5 minor league arms. Cease, Albertos, De La Cruz, Underwood, Johnson. What is also interesting is how Edwards and Z-Man find themselves in the majors despite being considered good but not top arms down on the farm. Z-Man actually performed better out of the pen in the majors than as a starter in the minors. I think some of what folks see in Underwood may be similar. Great stuff, but can he control it enough to be a consistent starter.

He is still one of their top 5 minor league arms. Cease, Albertos, De La Cruz, Underwood, Johnson. What is also interesting is how Edwards and Z-Man find themselves in the majors despite being considered good but not top arms down on the farm. Z-Man actually performed better out of the pen in the majors than as a starter in the minors. I think some of what folks see in Underwood may be similar. Great stuff, but can he control it enough to be a consistent starter.

Edwards was a top arm - dude was a top 50 prospect in the MLB in 2014 & 2015 in a lot of the ratings - he was the key piece in the Garza trade.

Same will likely happen this year, Ryan Williams will be in camp trying to make the team as a 5th starter or long reliever - and he is not a top 10ish prospect, but has been successful at all levels, and don't see any reason why he can't be a #4/#5 starter if given the opportunity (may not be with the Cubs).

Edwards was a top arm - dude was a top 50 prospect in the MLB in 2014 & 2015 in a lot of the ratings - he was the key piece in the Garza trade.

Same will likely happen this year, Ryan Williams will be in camp trying to make the team as a 5th starter or long reliever - and he is not a top 10ish prospect, but has been successful at all levels, and don't see any reason why he can't be a #4/#5 starter if given the opportunity (may not be with the Cubs).

All the prospects they got in that trade were viewed as key pieces. Olt was actually the purported get per all the rankers out there. He washed out and I think the Cubs acquired him to try and retrade him later anyway. Grimm and Edwards were both promising arms. Edwards with the Cubs is perhaps a good compare with Underwood. There were always questions about his control (Underwood) and his build (durability is not probably an issue with Underwood) that made him more likely to be a bullpen guy. Electric stuff, but the Cubs management always questioned whether he'd be a top guy on a staff - ratings regardless. I think we are talking semantics. In general, the Cubs approach with pitching generally has been to try and accumulate a lot of raw arms later in the draft and grab volume by trade as well and see who pans out.

All the prospects they got in that trade were viewed as key pieces. Olt was actually the purported get per all the rankers out there. He washed out and I think the Cubs acquired him to try and retrade him later anyway. Grimm and Edwards were both promising arms. Edwards with the Cubs is perhaps a good compare with Underwood. There were always questions about his control (Underwood) and his build (durability is not probably an issue with Underwood) that made him more likely to be a bullpen guy. Electric stuff, but the Cubs management always questioned whether he'd be a top guy on a staff - ratings regardless. I think we are talking semantics. In general, the Cubs approach with pitching generally has been to try and accumulate a lot of raw arms later in the draft and grab volume by trade as well and see who pans out.

Meh, Olt already had the eye issue and his stock was plummeting, he couldn't hit AAA pitchers - and Grimm was absolutely a warm body with potential upside.

Not gonna keep debating this, agreed that it is semantics, but Edwards and Underwood are different cases.

Also, the OF depth right now is Heyward, Soler, Schwarber, Zo, Jay, Almora and Szczur - likely starting are Schwarbs, Heyward, Almora/Jay platoon when Zo is at 2nd.

My guess is Soler is moved, and if not, Szczur is not gonna be on the team. Maddon can make due with 6 OF since Zo can play all over and Schwarbino can catch at times.

I know he is young and fully recovered but were it me, Schwarber would never again be behind the plate. His bat is just to good to get beat up back there from everything that goes with being a catcher.

I know he is young and fully recovered but were it me, Schwarber would never again be behind the plate. His bat is just to good to get beat up back there from everything that goes with being a catcher.

This is probably a question that will be answered over the course of next season. Schwarber may see himself as a catcher and may be a better hitter if he is behind the plate. He and Contreras would make a great L/R combo behind the plate and Montero is still available to teach. However, the physical demands of the position (especially the knees) may prohibit it. The question of his ability to defend in LF needs to be answered as well. He appears to be a player that will put in the work necessary to excel at any position he would be asked to play.

Back