• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chicago Cubs Thread - Playoff Push Pending

Don't think he was cut out for a team in a cold climate, dude always looked absolutely miserable in April or October.

Of course KC can be bitterly cold too (see TNF tomorrow) but it's not usually as bad in either of those times of year

Soler can flat out rake. The fact he has not been able to stay healthy for significant stretches of time is the big risk for KC. If he can stay healthy the Royals definitely come out ahead in this trade over the long haul. Regardless if Cubs get to the WS or win it all again with Davis raking for them, then you can't regret it. More than anything this trade tells me the Cubs know long term they have other good pieces for the OF down on the farm.

He had 3 two-hit games in the 2015 playoffs.

Game time temps for those games? 70, 73 and 72

In 41 postseason AB, his slash line is .344/.488/.781 - 1.269 OPS - clearly SSS, but so was whatever you said about him not playing well in April/October. Picking nits and all - I think Soler has all the potential in the world, great eye at the plate, crazy power, and at least average in right - just needs to work on hitting offspeed pitches and he could be really really good.

Cubs lose Armando Rivera in rule 5 to the bravos - that was expected, not much room for him on the MLB roster - he could be good, but we have a lot of RH already in the pen. Corey Black was not taken, somewhat surprised, but 100 MPH arm without control is tough to keep on an MLB roster all year.

Cubs trade for Caleb Smith from the Brewers, who had just selected him in the Rule 5 - should take over the Travis Wood role assuming he sticks. If not, he goes back. We needed left handed help in the pen assuming Monty gets that #5 spot.

In 41 postseason AB, his slash line is .344/.488/.781 - 1.269 OPS - clearly SSS, but so was whatever you said about him not playing well in April/October.

You missed the point, bruh

In 41 postseason AB, his slash line is .344/.488/.781 - 1.269 OPS - clearly SSS, but so was whatever you said about him not playing well in April/October. Picking nits and all - I think Soler has all the potential in the world, great eye at the plate, crazy power, and at least average in right - just needs to work on hitting offspeed pitches and he could be really really good.

Even if he becomes a superstar it's worth the "risk" for us to guarantee an elite closer for this year instead of keep Soler around for pinch hitting and spot starts.

It's a win/win for both teams. Hope Soler figures it out and hits 25-30 home runs this year.

Looks like Cubs bringing in Koji Uehara - and saw somewhere it is a 1/$4.5 deal. Love it - he kills lefties - if thats the contract, its a great get a solid piece to compete with Rondon/Strop at the back of the pen.

The numbers on Uehara are impressive. A career 0.86 whip, a .195 average, a 2.53 era, a 23% irs and has 93 saves in 108 opportunities. What's not to like?

Good writeup on Koj from MLB Trade Rumors:

As for Uehara, there’s a reason a pitcher of his repute was available on a modest contract. Most importantly, he’ll turn 42 near the start of the season. His fastball velocity also continued to dip in 2016, falling to an average of 86.7 MPH, generally dangerous territory for a righty. He also became incredibly fly-ball-prone, with a minuscule 21.4 GB%, and coughed up 1.53 homers per nine innings. Also, Uehara missed time in 2016 due to a pectoral injury, interrupting what had been a strong run of durability.

Still, Uehara remained very effective last season, posting a 3.45 ERA, 12.1 K/9 and 2.1 BB/9 over 47 innings. If the contract does turn out to be for $4.5MM, the Cubs’ risk is minimal, particularly for a pitcher who hasn’t yet had a bad season in eight years since arriving from Japan. For his U.S. career, Uehara has a terrific 2.53 ERA, 10.7 K/9 and 1.4 BB/9 over 437 2/3 innings.

Notably, too, Uehara has long dominated opposing hitters on both sides of the plate. While lefty hitters have been ever so slightly better in terms of strikeouts and walks when facing Uehara, they have produced less offensive than have righties. Since the ace reliever landed in the majors, 863 southpaw swingers have combined to hit an anemic .181/.220/.335 against him.

Reading that the Cubs are trying to get Tyson Ross on a 1 year deal around $10 million - eh, we'll see - it's worth it if there is any chance he can come back close to his form from a couple of years ago. Cubs officially are also out on Shelby Miller, asking price is too high.

Also, Cards fans are already lighting into Dex about not changing his twitter background and soiling the #25 because it belongs to McGwire. Best fans in baseball.

Supposedly looking to grab Wilson from the Tigers.

Justin or Alex?

Finished watching the FX1 show on the 2016 World Series and the final 30 minutes of MLB's Joy in Wrigleyville an hour ago. I was surprised how much emotion remains. After 59 years of frustration I guess it should be expected. It also reminded me of family and friends, especially my mother. She didn't get the opportunity to experience a Cub championship in her lifetime of 93 years. Part of me thinks she and a lot more departed Cub fans like her had something to do with that rain delay. Seems a silly thought, but I doubt I'm alone in thinking it.

Thanks to all of you who have been a part of this thread over the past two years. It means a lot. Even you Biff.

Back